• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whistler is always open for US Thanksgiving weekend earlier as snow permits.
When it's worth skiing depends.
Had first snow on the roof of my car last week but that was in Banff
Lake Louise always opens for the first races of year in November.
again when its worth the trip will depend

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I thought they needed an 18" base to open and this kind of snow compacts down to < 1/3 the size as far as base is concerned and melts faster than manmade? Am I wrong (I don't think I've ever hoped to be wrong more in my entire life)?

Both have had multiple nights of snowmaking, multiple natural snowfalls, and weather this week looks like they may get more nights of snowmaking. Loveland aims for an 18" base. Not sure what A-Basin does. Loveland also opens a wider, longer run, with less favorable sun-angles than does A-Basin. I wouldn't be surprised to see A-Basin open for weekends only for a few weeks. Don't think Loveland ever really does that.

I'd be surprised by this weekend, but not shocked.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
I thought they needed an 18" base to open and this kind of snow compacts down to < 1/3 the size as far as base is concerned and melts faster than manmade? Am I wrong (I don't think I've ever hoped to be wrong more in my entire life)?
You're not wrong and Colorado has the worst natural snow for base building because of the low water content. However, snow was made before the storm and there is nearly always cold air behind storms so they should be able to make much more snow this week.

I would hazard a guess that an opening this weekend is moderately likely. However it will be the same WROD or two that usually open first. There will need to be considerably more natural snow before we can increase the odds of Thanksgiving, December etc. being above average.

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
On average.

But the past few storms snow has been relatively heavy due to relatively warm temps aloft. Classic base building snow and something CO typically sees in early snowfall events.

Last nights snow was a wetter heavier snow - perfect for base building.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Last nights snow was a wetter heavier snow - perfect for base building.

Much like we got early last season with warm SSW flow that nuked the Continental Divide and set up our season long "tale of two elevations".

Good thing my two season passes are Luv and A-Basin this year.

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
Much like we got early last season with warm SSW flow that nuked the Continental Divide and set up our season long "tale of two elevations".

Good thing my two season passes are Luv and A-Basin this year.

We have our Epic Local Pass (mostly A Basin) and 4 Gems Cards to ski Loveland every now and then.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
We have a warm-up ahead. I don't see it happening.
On the flip side, next week looks cold.
My money is on the week of the 15th...especially since I will be in Arizona all that week. :(

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
The basin has already groomed the ribbon of death as can be seen on their webcam. The bottom is usually the last to get enough base but you can see that it already has enough.. My bet is Friday. and Ramrod by next weekend assuming we don't have a massive warm up that is not currently in the forecast. Looks like probably snow making temps probably tonight but sketchy tomorrow and Thursday but back to great overnight snow making temps as far as the eye can see starting Friday night.

Sponsor