• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
From Colorado Ski Country USA, here are the projected opening & closing dates for every place BUT Vail resorts.:popcorn:
2017/18 Opening and Closing Dates
RESORT
OPEN
CLOSE

Arapahoe Basin
Mid-October
Early June

ASPEN MOUNTAIN
November 23
April 15

ASPEN HIGHLANDS
December 9
April 8

BUTTERMILK
December 9
April 8

COOPER
December 9
April 8

COPPER MOUNTAIN
November 10
TBD

CRESTED BUTTE
November 23
April 8

ECHO MOUNTAIN
November 21
April 15

ELDORA
November 17
April 8

GRANBY RANCH
December 15
April 1

HESPERUS
December 15
TBD

HOWELSEN HILL
TBD
TBD

LOVELAND
Mid-October
May 6

MONARCH
November 22
April 8

POWDERHORN
December 15

March 25

PURGATORY
November 18
TBD

SILVERTON
December 28
April 8

SNOWMASS
November 23
April 15

STEAMBOAT
November 22
April 15

SUNLIGHT
TBD
TBD

TELLURIDE
November 23
April 8

WINTER PARK
TBD
TBD

WOLF CREEK
November 3
April 1

Last edited:

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
From Colorado Ski Country USA, here are the projected opening & closing dates for every place BUT Vail resorts.:popcorn:

That is because Vail is not part of Colorado Ski Country.USA. Obviously Vail has its own promotional engine. CSCUSA is like Ski NH where in NH Peak Resorts is not represented there.

http://www.onthesnow.com/colorado/projected-openings.html

a more comprehensive list

http://www.onthesnow.com/united-states/projected-openings.html

We ski Loveland and A Basin for early season and they are always neck and neck. Last year, A Basin won out with an opening date on October 21st - we went on the 23rd with one trail. the 21st was a mad house but the 23rd was easy peasy. Loveland opened about a week later also with one trail that was pretty crowded. Interestingly, there are a lot of northeast ski teams HS and College that show up at Loveland for early season training. I asked why they do not go to Killington and they said that Killington get too crowded during the first few weeks and will not let them set up gates. Loveland gets crowded but the trail that is open is wide enough for them to set up gate off to the side plus Loveland Valley generally opens up a trail or two dedicated to racing.

BTW our last day at A Basin was June 11th with lots of terrain still open.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I've never seen them set gates on the main, public-open run at Loveland in 4 years of skiing there early season many days. Only in the spring do they close of some terrain for ski-team training in the Basin. Teams come to Loveland because they can freeski on Mambo/Homerun during the hours they don't have a lane rented over at the Valley. Loveland has more vertical, a longer/wider run, and shorter lift lines than A-Bay early season.

In my understanding, Copper is the only place that sees nearly the same amount of ski-team traffic early season in CO as Love.

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
I've never seen them set gates on the main, public-open run at Loveland in 4 years of skiing there early season many days. Only in the spring do they close of some terrain for ski-team training in the Basin. Teams come to Loveland because they can freeski on Mambo/Homerun during the hours they don't have a lane rented over at the Valley. Loveland has more vertical, a longer/wider run, and shorter lift lines than A-Bay early season.

In my understanding, Copper is the only place that sees nearly the same amount of ski-team traffic early season in CO as Love.

We were there on November 4th (Friday) and there were a boat load of race teams. On the right side of Mambo after the S turn coming off Cat Walk, they had about 10 poles in the ground and teams were taking turns using them. They also had a better setup away from the public over on Loveland Valley. We also went the next day on a Saturday and there was nothing setup on Mambo - it was way too crowded. Beginners mixed with race teams and advanced skiers - yikes. that is whnen that trail goes from being a green trail to more of a blue. The first turn at the end of the Cat Walk reminded me of New England Skiing.

Last edited:

Posaune

sliding
Skier
My area will open when they get about 3' of snow-pack, usually mid November. They'll close too early, when they usually have well over 15' of pack.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A lot can happen in 2 months but just going by this past weekend everyone was laughing about the Nov 10th opening date for Copper. It was 82 degrees and we were pool side. It was still in the 70's at dusk. And of course there was the counter that it only takes a week or a little less to get into wrod status.

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
A lot can happen in 2 months but just going by this past weekend everyone was laughing about the Nov 10th opening date for Copper. It was 82 degrees and we were pool side. It was still in the 70's at dusk. And of course there was the counter that it only takes a week or a little less to get into wrod status.

Well the base of the mountains in Summit County will see freezing temps at night within the week. October of last year, here in CO was not very ski area friendly but once November rolled around things opened up albeit slowly until December when lots of snow fell.

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
Not sure about freezing temps quite yet. At least not for Copper. I think the extended forecast is still 70's / 40's

Base elevation for Keystone will be in the mid 30's for the low starting middle of next week. I will take it for now!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm planning on taking the day off so I can ski opening day at Killington whenever that will be. I know I'll be crowded but I've never done it so given my ample vacation offerings at my job I'm going to take advantage of it.

Last edited:

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
I'm planning on taking the day off so I can ski opening day at Killington whenever that will be. I know I'll be crowded but I've never done so given my ample vacation offerings at my job I'm going to take advantage of it.

Well it is kind of a right of passage IMO. You have to experience the stairs. As you may know, they start with the North Ridge Triple area and it is a cool vibe. The lines can get long and the runs seem short but at least you are back at it. A little advice, bring your beverages and food in a pack, after your first lift ride leave it around the top of the North Ridge Triple so you do not have to hike the stairs for lunch.

Years ago they served burgers and hotdogs - cash only at the lift line not any more.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Well it is kind of a right of passage IMO. You have to experience the stairs. As you may know, they start with the North Ridge Triple area and it is a cool vibe. The lines can get long and the runs seem short but at least you are back at it. A little advice, bring your beverages and food in a pack, after your first lift ride leave it around the top of the North Ridge Triple so you do not have to hike the stairs for lunch.

Years ago they served burgers and hotdogs - cash only at the lift line not any more.

Thank you for the tip about the food/drink. I'll likely thank you again after I don't have to hike back up there to eat :). We hiked down Killington a couple weeks ago so I told those stairs I'd be seeing them in a few weeks :). I love the north ridge triple area anyway and often hang out there when other parts of the mountain opens as it's less crowded. I know less crowded won't be the case on opening day lol but it'll be fun to ski on Rime and Reason. I'm excited for the vibe.

Jully

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm planning on taking the day off so I can ski opening day at Killington whenever that will be. I know I'll be crowded but I've never done it so given my ample vacation offerings at my job I'm going to take advantage of it.

It won't be as crowded as the first weekend day they open! If they open to passholders on a Friday and the general public on a Saturday, THEN it is really crowded. Taking a day off midweek to ski early early season is usually my move.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Interesting that some places that usually have pretty good handle on what their season will be are still TBD.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
It won't be as crowded as the first weekend day they open! If they open to passholders on a Friday and the general public on a Saturday, THEN it is really crowded. Taking a day off midweek to ski early early season is usually my move.

If I recall last year they opened to passholders on the sunday and then the general public on Monday. Hoping they do the same this year.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Projected opening dates: :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
should be taken with a grain of salt.

They'll open when they have enough snow lol.
I don't consider having one WROD only as being open.

Sponsor