• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Beer

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Coming to this discussion late, but after visiting Suarez brewery in Hudson, NY with my son, we've come to some conclusions:
  1. FAR, FAR too many IPA's in the beer world. I'm tired of this fascination with extreme hops to the detriment of everything else. I predict a drop-off in this style and a growth in other, more interesting and complex styles of beer.
  2. National distribution is no longer any indicator of popularity or marketability or profitability. Of course Sam Adams and other large 2nd-wave breweries are losing steam. Why would I want to buy a Sam, or a Deschutes, or Fat Tire, when I can get a really good, local brew within 30 minutes of home? I live in NW Ct, and I have at least 9 craft brewers within 25 miles (and more on the way and probably more existing that I don't even know about).
  3. This is the golden age of beer in America.

antigonowhere

Booting up
Skier
Great post.

When I first started drinking craft, I was underwhelmed at the abundance of reds that brewers were turning out. It seemed like everyone had their twist on something I view as pretty bland. In fact, I'd immediately avoid a brewery (at least for a time) that insisted on a red as one of their first releases.

As a newcomer to the IPA world (stout guy), I have been happy to try them in varying degrees, but agree that it's fast becoming overdone. I was amused at Brewdog's hop cannon, or whatever it was, but look back on it as a sign of the arms race for hoppiness, and that it was not a good sign.

Sour beers, at least up here, seem to be the next big thing, and I can see a race, of sorts, as they prove popular among drinkers, especially non-traditional beer types.

I have been happy with the emergence of more radlers, but see that as another sour beer in waiting.

Back to stout, for me. It's winter.

antigonowhere

Booting up
Skier
Addressing your second point, there have already been anecdotal tales of judging a beer's success by how badly the big beer companies try to squash you. I've heard some pretty nasty stories of the depths they will stoop to.

I managed to have a cruise ship visitor sit next to me at my favourite beer bar in Halifax. He said that you could name something "Toasted Dogshit" and he'd try it if it were local, not the "advertised as local" major brands. That's the mentality that craft brewers are hitting big time.

As to your point # 3: Canada, too. In my opinion.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
40619D7F-FD8A-44A7-A2A9-93199554938C.jpeg

Superb effort by the folks at The Alchemist. Ski it, I mean drink it if you can.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hmmm. Is this a little maltier than heady or focal?

YES!

The smell was the best part. Super malty and hoppy. Really fresh tasting beer.

Heady is just, well Heady. I consider Focal their "everyday" "base" beer. This is sort of somewhere in between the two.

Def get some if you have the chance.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Yeah, I think I'd like that. My ideal beer style is basically a traditional English pale ale with a little more hop. The new style IPAs are fun but I miss the core of malt.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
:
  1. FAR, FAR too many IPA's in the beer world. I'm tired of this fascination with extreme hops to the detriment of everything else. I predict a drop-off in this style and a growth in other, more interesting and complex styles of beer.
  2. National distribution is no longer any indicator of popularity or marketability or profitability. Of course Sam Adams and other large 2nd-wave breweries are losing steam. Why would I want to buy a Sam, or a Deschutes, or Fat Tire, when I can get a really good, local brew within 30 minutes of home? I live in NW Ct, and I have at least 9 craft brewers within 25 miles (and more on the way and probably more existing that I don't even know about).
  3. This is the golden age of beer in America.
1) IPA is not going away anytime soon. What is unique about IPAs is the freshness, aroma, body and taste of dry hopping and unfiltered beer. There is nothing else like it, no other style develops the flavor profile of fresh hops like IPA does. And it is a wonderful thing. Many new hop varieties are getting showcased in IPAs, and they all taste different. Black Lager, Pumpkin Ale, IPL, Rauchbier and fruit beers may wane and wither, but IPAs are the powder skiing of beer. And like powder, they are best VERY fresh. Many are undated. Know what you are buying.

2) Yes, drink local if it's good. Kent Falls, Brew Master Jack, Pioneer, Beer'd, Fort Hill, and NEBCO are all in your neighborhood. I'm personally thankful to be in VT which is the Nirvana of beer right now. Co and UT might have the blower, but we got the beer.

However, there is more than just IPA. It's good to cleanse the hop oil off your tongue once in a while. I'm a big fan of Harpoon White UFO. There's several great Russian Imperial Stouts, like Avery's The Czar. Berkshire's Hoosac Tunnel is a great amber. Von Trapp Vienna Lager redefines lager. Fort Hill's Dopplebock is great. Wormtown's Norm is a tasty coconut porter. Jack's Abby barrel aged Framinghammer is what fireplaces and dogs were made for. And no one has topped Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout yet.

Now back to the regularly scheduled Foley Bros, BBC, Frost, Lost Nation, Lawson's, Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, Fiddlehead, Zero Gravity, Rock Art, Long Trail, 14th Star, Whetstone Station, and even a little Hop'n Moose.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On the other hand.... there is a new local brewery in my town in the past year or two. Great venue in a converted mill next to the small river that drove the mills. Good tasting room, cool scene (as much as suburbs can be), nice people. The problem? The beer just isn't very good.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
On the other hand.... there is a new local brewery in my town in the past year or two. Great venue in a converted mill next to the small river that drove the mills. Good tasting room, cool scene (as much as suburbs can be), nice people. The problem? The beer just isn't very good.
I'm glad you said it..because it does happen...

antigonowhere

Booting up
Skier
Big beer has been turning out some crap for decades now, stands to reason that there would be some craft crap at some point as well.

Bad beer is bad beer. Sometimes it's the person's taste(s), and sometimes it's simply horrible, full stop.

I'm pretty sure I drink from about three breweries, with one, Big Spruce, leading to the tune of about 75% of my purchases. I'll forage the other stuff when I can, but it had better be great or I won't bother trying again.

One of the highlights of my trip to Vermont last winter was being able to nail down some Heady, and I was not disappointed with going out of the way, and with waiting an hour for the truck to arrive. I also hit up Long Trail and really enjoyed Lost Nation's gose.

This year's trip to Jay will only score me Alchemist grog if I can convince my wife to swing by the brewery on the way home...

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Big beer has been turning out some crap for decades now, stands to reason that there would be some craft crap at some point as well.

Bad beer is bad beer. Sometimes it's the person's taste(s), and sometimes it's simply horrible, full stop.

I'm pretty sure I drink from about three breweries, with one, Big Spruce, leading to the tune of about 75% of my purchases. I'll forage the other stuff when I can, but it had better be great or I won't bother trying again.

One of the highlights of my trip to Vermont last winter was being able to nail down some Heady, and I was not disappointed with going out of the way, and with waiting an hour for the truck to arrive. I also hit up Long Trail and really enjoyed Lost Nation's gose.

This year's trip to Jay will only score me Alchemist grog if I can convince my wife to swing by the brewery on the way home...

We were in Stowe during leaf peeping season and stopped at Alchemist to pick up some Heady Topper for my son. First time they were out and we got some Focal Banger instead. Went back the next day and there was a long line out the door, looked to be a good hour long so we left. I don't even like IPA's, but the kid does and he was cat sitting for us.

I did enjoy the Dunkel Lager at von Trapp Brewery.

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
I will be touring through Utah (I get the irony), Wyoming, Idaho and finally California in a few weeks and plan to try at least 2 new beers each day for 18 days. I’ll be sure to report back with my likes and dislikes.
I’m not a beer expert but a beer lover. I generally like most ales, pale ales and stout but generally don’t like Pilsner, lager (tasteless) or wheat beers as much.
My favourite US beer would be Anchor Steam. Are there any particular beers you could suggest I try based on the above?

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I will be touring through Utah (I get the irony), Wyoming, Idaho and finally California in a few weeks and plan to try at least 2 new beers each day for 18 days. I’ll be sure to report back with my likes and dislikes.
I’m not a beer expert but a beer lover. I generally like most ales, pale ales and stout but generally don’t like Pilsner, lager (tasteless) or wheat beers as much.
My favourite US beer would be Anchor Steam. Are there any particular beers you could suggest I try based on the above?
Well yes...where in California will you be? There are so many breweries here.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In Tahoe there's Alibi Aleworks, in Incline Village and in Truckee. The Truckee location has more of a selection and live music (not sure if every night or not). They make a few IPAs and pale ales. @Tricia mentioned Alibi in another thread, and I've now been to both locations. There's another brewery in Tahoe called 50/50, but I haven't been there or to the Tahoe Mountain Brewery. There's also Brewforia in Incline Village. They have a number of beers on tap (not just from California), and an interesting selection of bottled beer (from all over the US and also Europe). They also have good food. It's very casual, but I recommend it for a casual dinner with good beer.
If you go through Auburn on your way to Tahoe, Moonraker and Knee Deep are both good. You can get a decent selection of Sacramento area and Bay Area beer in the Tahoe supermarkets too. Try Bear Republic, Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas.
The only beer I know from Utah is Uintas Hop Nosh IPA, which I really like.
Maybe @Eleeski could tell you more about beer from between Tahoe and LA on 395. He said he's a beer snob. Have fun tasting!

SkiFree

Chris
Skier
Tahoe and Mammoth and then south on 395 to LA to fly back to Australia.
Mammoth Brewery is pretty darn good. Their Double Nut is a personal favorite (and a hit with the whole ski team ogwink )

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
In Tahoe there's Alibi Aleworks, in Incline Village and in Truckee. The Truckee location has more of a selection and live music (not sure if every night or not). They make a few IPAs and pale ales. @Tricia mentioned Alibi in another thread, and I've now been to both locations. There's another brewery in Tahoe called 50/50, but I haven't been there or to the Tahoe Mountain Brewery. There's also Brewforia in Incline Village. They have a number of beers on tap (not just from California), and an interesting selection of bottled beer (from all over the US and also Europe). They also have good food. It's very casual, but I recommend it for a casual dinner with good beer.
If you go through Auburn on your way to Tahoe, Moonraker and Knee Deep are both good. You can get a decent selection of Sacramento area and Bay Area beer in the Tahoe supermarkets too. Try Bear Republic, Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas.
The only beer I know from Utah is Uintas Hop Nosh IPA, which I really like.
Maybe @Eleeski could tell you more about beer from between Tahoe and LA on 395. He said he's a beer snob. Have fun tasting!

I do like Sierra Nevada and Lagunitas has been recommended by a friend.

Mammoth Brewery is pretty darn good. Their Double Nut is a personal favorite (and a hit with the whole ski team ogwink )

I'll be sure to check out the Double Nut. Thanks.

Sponsor

Staff online