• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Beer

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Local store is running a 2 week Octoberfest sale. Nice thing, they have a pick and choose 6 pack cooler.

150508607098523438644.jpg

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
My Rolling Rock pic killed this thread :D.

Back to good beer. These three excellent selections are currently available in an 8 pack with Tank 7, which is excellent in its own right.

IMG_8409.JPG IMG_8408.JPG IMG_8481.JPG

Boulevard is killing it.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
They tapped a fresh keg of Pliney the Elder at BARley last night in Steamboat, which I was privileged to enjoy with @Ron.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So funny, all you east coast (or Colorado) people pining for Pliny the Elder. I can get that pretty much whenever, but my thing right now is New England style IPAs. Luckily they're getting really popular on the west coast, and I've had a number of delicious juicy IPAs brewed in California recently.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Having spent some time sampling locals in San Jose over the past couple of years on business trips, I think Pliny is really good, but I think some others I've had are better.

Although I think NorCal IPAs can often be too heavy on the pine notes, and that's a palate preference for sure. But I want the second one to go easy like the first, even at higher ABV, and a lot of IPAs generally are willing to hit you too hard in being citrus/pine forward.

I'd agree that despite my western beer snobbery, I've had some more nuanced east coast beers recently that I have thought were outstanding. When I was in CA in August I had a couple of Space Cake IPAs from Clown Shoes out of MA. Excellent, and did not leave me wanting a more local selection.

Last edited:

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
New Amber Ale, infused with coffee. The can is cool.
20171001_055917.jpg

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Having spent some time sampling locals in San Jose over the past couple of years on business trips, I think Pliny is really good, but I think some others I've had are better.

Although I think NorCal IPAs can often be too heavy on the pine notes, and that's a palate preference for sure. But I want the second one to go easy like the first, even at higher ABV, and a lot of IPAs generally are willing to hit you too hard in being citrus/pine forward.

I'd agree that despite my western beer snobbery, I've had some more nuanced east coast beers recently that I have thought were outstanding. When I was in CA in August I had a couple of Space Cake IPAs from Clown Shoes out of MA. Excellent, and did not leave me wanting a more local selection.

I love Space Cake, and it's readily available around here. A more local selection for you — if you haven't already tried it — is Toppling Goliath Brewery's King Sue or Pseudo Sue. I posted pictures of those beers earlier in this thread. (Maybe they amaze me only because they're brewed in Iowa, of all places.) They're that hazy New England style IPA.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Both the Sacramento Bee and Sonoma Magazine recently had articles on local (Northern California) breweries brewing New England style IPA. Heretic Brewing (in Fairfield, CA) makes a good one called Make America Juicy Again. Moonraker in Auburn brews both styles, but I haven't made it there.

Reactions: nay

Prickly Jones

Jetsetting Curmudgeon
Skier
Nothing particularly special, but not half-bad:

Ceres%2BNorden%2BGylden%2BIPA.jpg

John Webb

mdskier
Skier

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
More stuff you can't make up ! :yahoo:

A man was just locked into the beer cooler in a Wisconsin convenience store at quitting time.

Did he panic, No. He kicked back and enjoyed one beer after another all night. Knocked a
few cases over -impaired walking ! When the store opened at 5:50 am he simply walked
out without paying anything LOL
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/10/27/trapped-beer-cooler/806053001/

Only in Rapids and I call on bull on being locked in and couldn't get out. It's 24/hr station with glass everywhere. I would say he hid very well. :)

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I dream of such a thing happening to me during our humid/icky summers. When it's 95 degrees and humid and gross, all I need is to be "locked" in one of these beer fridges. I'll just bring along a double high air mattress, my surface tablet and a cell phone, oh yeah maybe some food too. :)

Sponsor

Staff online