• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico Taos talk...

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tex @KingGrump @newfydog - has there been any talk of a mini get together for either weekend in April?
I have not heard anything, but I will be there last week of March sking Monday 3/28 thru Friday 4/1. I'm bringing my 22 yr old daughter, if you wanna make some turns post up or shoot me a PM, I'll be sking groomers with my daughter all day but I'll make 1 or 2 bump runs a day if conditions are good. We got an Airbnb right off hwy 150, lots of great options on that app.

And if you see us holler!

D261BE6F-9C40-4BC1-BE60-3BFEE8984A16.jpeg
:beercheer:

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I have not heard anything, but I will be there last week of March sking Monday 3/28 thru Friday 4/1. I'm bringing my 22 yr old daughter, if you wanna make some turns post up or shoot me a PM, I'll be sking groomers with my daughter all day but I'll make 1 or 2 bump runs a day if conditions are good. We got an Airbnb right off hwy 150, lots of great options on that app.

And if you see us holler!

View attachment 162792
:beercheer:

The next time that you have a group (or 2) of mixed abilities, consider Telluride. There are enough steeps, chutes and hike-to terrain to keep you busy for a few years, and a huge array of groomers. In many cases your less accomplished skiers and you can lap the same lift, and ski vastly different runs. Lift 10 has amazing bneginner / low level intermediate runs that are separated from faster traffic.

We go to Taos if our pup is with us, because The Blake is crazy canine friendly. Otherwise Telluride is the go-to.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The next time that you have a group (or 2) of mixed abilities, consider Telluride. There are enough steeps, chutes and hike-to terrain to keep you busy for a few years, and a huge array of groomers. In many cases your less accomplished skiers and you can lap the same lift, and ski vastly different runs. Lift 10 has amazing bneginner / low level intermediate runs that are separated from faster traffic.

We go to Taos if our pup is with us, because The Blake is crazy canine friendly. Otherwise Telluride is the go-to.

Enjoy.
Telluride has always been legendary from when I started sking early 80's. Back then you didn't have the internet, you had to rely on ski bum stories..... I finally skied there late 90's, did a solo trip there, it was a bucket list trip. I skied "shapped" skis for the first time and even took a bump lesson. The main memory I made other than the cools ski instructor I had, was the cool ski in ski out houses off lift #1 and they were out there BBQ'n, so when I go back it will be to rent one of those spots.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Telluride has always been legendary from when I started sking early 80's. Back then you didn't have the internet, you had to rely on ski bum stories..... I finally skied there late 90's, did a solo trip there, it was a bucket list trip. I skied "shapped" skis for the first time and even took a bump lesson. The main memory I made other than the cools ski instructor I had, was the cool ski in ski out houses off lift #1 and they were out there BBQ'n, so when I go back it will be to rent one of those spots.

Those cool ski houses are now eight-figures to purchase, and mid four-figures to five-figures per night to rent. My go-to is the Inn at Lost Creek. Great location. Great service.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tex
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There should be a rule that the legendary fire never goes out!!!

taos web cam 2022-03-17 - Snake Dance.JPG

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
TSV has been skiing pretty great this past week. Ski week was incredible. Such a value and great experience. Total mindset change for me related to low impact bumps skiing. Great beta on entries into west basin lines and a bunch of little front side connector shots. I had the pleasure of meeting @KingGrump and his wife. I’ll be around until maybe the 23/24th skiing daily. Happy Holi!

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just booked a trip to TSV with skiing Saturday and Sunday, April 9 - 10. Anyone else planning to be there for a meetup for a few runs or a beer? Will be staying in town at the Taos Inn.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Me and my daughter now by the legendary fire. My wife flies in tonight I pick her up the Taos airport it’s right by our condo. She does not ski, she will just hang out with us. They both fly out on Friday I’m skiing solo sat, sun, and mon and headed home. Matt we can make some turns but I got to warn ya, I ski double black diamond and catch air off cliffs!! :daffy:

59EF5DFA-B1F7-4F69-9AC7-01AF32AC29C6.jpeg

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Me and my daughter now by the legendary fire. My wife flies in tonight I pick her up the Taos airport it’s right by our condo. She does not ski, she will just hang out with us. They both fly out on Friday I’m skiing solo sat, sun, and mon and headed home. Matt we can make some turns but I got to warn ya, I ski double black diamond and catch air off cliffs!! :daffy:

View attachment 164789
Tex, as skilled as you are in the chutes I can probably take you at base-area sunshine and IPA consumption.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Great pic Tex. Where do you live? I'm in Amarillo and hope to ski with you this or next season. I do chutes and blacks when snow is right...sounds like you and daughter do also.
20220316_145056.jpg
West ridge last week. Bighorn fun.
20220316_115255-EFFECTS.jpg
Perfect packed powder on Kachina. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tex
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great pic Tex. Where do you live? I'm in Amarillo and hope to ski with you this or next season. I do all chutes and blacks when snow is right...sounds like you and daughter do also.
View attachment 164803
West ridge last week. Bighorn fun.
View attachment 164804
Perfect packed powder on Kachina. :)
I live in Dallas. My daughter does not ski bumps or blacks, she is blue groomers. She could ski black if it is groomed. I need to get her better skis for bumps, she has SL skis. Her first ski trip was spring 2020, 3 days Red River. She loved it, and it was my first time skiing in 20 years. Today makes her 12th day to ski, she is still really beginner.

I'm still trying to figure out the bumps as an old man, having to change my style from high impact to low impact. I been skiing GS skis, just got me some skis suitable for bumps, and that has helped a lot. My comments to Matt I'm just messing with him about the double blacks and flying off cliffs. :roflmao:

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Me: Full-time member of the Park City Ski School from 1976-84 and then moved to LA when offered a job by a student. Only planned to be there for the summer, but you know... My wife and I moved to Mineral Wells, TX (about 100 miles due west of DFW) seven years ago to follow our dream of owning a small ranch and riding and showing cutting horses. Never skied after leaving PC until this year when I went to Bend, OR to visit some friends and skied Mt. Bachelor. Hooked again - bought skis and boots and have now also been to PC/DV twice for a couple of days each. Taos will be my eighth and ninth ski days after a 38-year break.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is a pic Thursday, I mean looks like all the ski lines been tested good, snow should be stable. Opener up!!

2A03A2A2-AE50-4786-9746-C2FD5D40C3C6.jpeg

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
More pics from yesterday. I’m at the top of #2 here, killing some time waiting on Matt, I got mixed up and thought it was this weekend he was here lol. These are some good boys. I thought they were supposed to carry flask of brandy on their collar??

1780F2D8-AA77-4089-A108-F19AA8BEDADE.jpeg

Whistlestop jamming yesterday, the guy played cool tunes all day.

14C0B329-6851-4AAE-BA39-A73B7AB92FB1.jpeg

Wife and daughter gone, checked into Snowfan’s favorite spot, El Pleblo. Free buffet breakfast really good, and cool place to hang out and eat and sip on coffee.

D9B608D3-DE3A-4930-81C5-7D9A3E4BD4D1.jpeg

DEF96AE9-ADB4-4B62-A810-13AC1A5E7CEC.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online