• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico Taos talk...

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sometime in March I'm planning to make the 10-hour drive from my home in north Texas to Taos for three or four days. When I go would likely be storm-dependent and would love some input on lodging in town (I'm afraid staying at the mountain is outside my budget) and casual restaurants and breweries along with any other advice you think might help this first-time Taos visitor. Thanks in advance.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sometime in March I'm planning to make the 10-hour drive from my home in north Texas to Taos for three or four days. When I go would likely be storm-dependent and would love some input on lodging in town (I'm afraid staying at the mountain is outside my budget) and casual restaurants and breweries along with any other advice you think might help this first-time Taos visitor. Thanks in advance.
You might want to read some of the Taos Gathering thread for some lodging and restaurant info...

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It really depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. If you want to really roll skibum style, maybe check out this place, $34 a night.

Taos bus 1.JPG Taos bus 2.JPG Taos bus 3.JPG

pjs32000

Booting up
Skier
Any tips for a first timer to Taos? Hoping to get out there this weekend for some Fri / Sat turns. I'd being driving up in a front wheel drive car and it looks like some snow is forecasted Thurs night, how is sketchy is the drive up?

Last edited:

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any tips for a first timer to Taos? Hoping to get out there this weekend for some Fri / Sat turns. I'd being driving up in a front wheel drive car and it looks like some snow is forecasted Thurs night, how is sketchy is the drive up?
The drive from town to TSV is easy. Just go slow especially at the turns if there is snow on the ground. They clear the roads quite well after every storm so if it isn’t snowing on Friday morning, the drive should be fine.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I hope you have actual snow tires, not those "all-season" tires everybody tries to sell you. I speak only of my experience in New England. YMMV

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Texas school vacation starts on Monday. Did all those people cut class?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Shudda been here yesterday.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Texas school vacation starts on Monday. Did all those people cut class?
Some Texas schools is this week, and some next week. My daughter school is this week, and my son is next week. I noticed they get long lines on powder days, that tells me locals come out on powder days..

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
If the drive were just a little closer to SLC, I'd road trip there as I've never skied the area. Sounds like a great season!!

Sponsor

Staff online