• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sushi anyone?

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a fresh vegetable guy. So I totally get the "every veg has a signature flavor" that needs to "stand out". Again, some "vegetable" keep the flavor better than others after freezing.

As for salted veg, I'm not a fan for the most part. That said, there're a few preserved veg that I actually like the "preserved" version as well as the fresh version. Apart from those, I don't really care for salted/preserved vegetables.

So you won't see me getting frozen sushi rolls.
You'd be missing out on some of the most gut-healthy food in the world like sauerkraut and kimchi.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Perhaps they should consider a name change. Few use the term Rapeseed Oil, opting for, Canadian Oil Low Acid. Aka Canola .
The owner/chef said it is actually the part the tail feathers attach to and is also referred to as chicken tail. He said he couldn't sell any chicken tails but once he changed it on the menu to "butt" he sells out every night and people call ahead to reserve them.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The owner/chef said it is actually the part the tail feathers attach to and is also referred to as chicken tail. He said he couldn't sell any chicken tails but once he changed it on the menu to "butt" he sells out every night and people call ahead to reserve them.

Whew! Consumers - how do they work??

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
My all time favorite Asian, specifically Korean, chain grocer.
Sorry, I don't care for Korean food. But I'll look into one to see if they sell anything I find useful.

You'd be missing out on some of the most gut-healthy food in the world like sauerkraut and kimchi.
I'm pretty sure I miss a lot of "healthy" food from other part of the world too. Not to mention all the "healthy" foods invented right here in this country. ;)

Just for the record, I love Sauerkraut when I had it in Germany. But I can't stand the ones I got in the US.

So I suspect I may like Kimchi a lot better if I have it in Korea, even though I hate the ones I've tried here.

Last edited:

silverback

Skier
If you decided you don’t like Korean food because you ate some crappy American Kimchi… you are missing out. Kimchi is only one of over 1000 varieties of Korean side dishes or banchan. The variety of soups and stews is large too. And the bbq…and fried chicken. I’m hungry.

seriously, if you get to Los Angeles, seek out one of the amazing Korean restaurant there and give it another go.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I love, love, love, love H Mart........................ There's one in Burlington, Mass not far from where I stay when I go to my office in Boston. Their food court is unbelievable. I can get boba, korean, sushi, thai and more all in one place. There's a new H Mart at big snow in Jersey sans food court but you can get your food fix and they have lots of sushi to go, etc.

One thing we're lacking in the country where we live is sushi. We've a place 20 minutes away but it's not really a run out and grab at 7pm kinda place. My SO is in his office today in Shelton and my favorite Ahi bowl is at a local restaurant and I'm trying to convince him to pick it up for me. I even offered to pay lol.

I miss all my Asian food from when I lived in California.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
if you get to Los Angeles, seek out one of the amazing Korean restaurant there and give it another go.

Flushing, NY is another good location for authentic Korean restaurants. There is a section we called Korean town there.

Most ethic food are great so long they are authentic. Once Americanized, usually bad.
Like most of the Chinese American restaurants out there. Most patrons do not realize it's not real Chinese food.

My son went to school in Florida. He said if you wanted Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese and Malaysian food, It will be five different restaurants. The taste of the food will be very distinct. Down in Florida, it would be all under one roof. All the food would taste very similar. Restaurant's name would be something like Diarrhea Dragon.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Flushing, NY is another good location for authentic Korean restaurants. There is a section we called Korean town there.

Most ethic food are great so long they are authentic. Once Americanized, usually bad.
Like most of the Chinese American restaurants out there. Most patrons do not realize it's not real Chinese food.

My son went to school in Florida. He said if you wanted Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese and Malaysian food, It will be five different restaurants. The taste of the food will be very distinct. Down in Florida, it would be all under one roof. All the food would taste very similar. Restaurant's name would be something like Diarrhea Dragon.

I've probably told this story before but it's still funny in this context.

Visiting my stepmother in Florida, she asked if we wanted to join her and her posse of retirees at their favorite Chinese restaurant.

Our group of about 12 are seated at a large circular table with the big lazy-susan in the center. As we are perusing the menu I asked if they typically all order different dishes to share. Everyone looked at me like I had two heads. OK, shrug.

Waitress arrives and begins to take orders. As she goes around the table it sounds like this:
"Sweet and Sour Pork"
"Sweet and Sour Pork"
"Sweet and Sour Pork"
"Sweet and Sour Pork"
etc...

Wife and I looked at each other and LOL'ed.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
If you decided you don’t like Korean food because you ate some crappy American Kimchi… you are missing out. Kimchi is only one of over 1000 varieties of Korean side dishes or banchan. The variety of soups and stews is large too. And the bbq…and fried chicken. I’m hungry.

seriously, if you get to Los Angeles, seek out one of the amazing Korean restaurant there and give it another go.
I don't dislike Korean food. But it's not unique enough for me to seek it out. In fact, I'd be more excited about African instead. ogwink

Moreover, what's served outside of Korea is only a tiny fraction of what Korean eat back in Korea. The same is true of Indian food, Japanese food, Chinese food... So if I must put it accurately, I don't care too much for the "Korean food" typically found in the US.

And if I ever goes to LA again (quite unlikely, as I've been there often when I used to live in NoCal), I wouldn't be looking for Korean food. I'd be looking for authentic Chinese food as my top priority! (there're a lot of variety of Chinese food in LA that's so "niche" I've never found them even in NYC)

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd be looking for authentic Chinese food as my top priority! (there're a lot of variety of Chinese food in LA that's so "niche" I've never found them even in NYC)

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Needless to say, NYC had long ago lost to the west coast on Chinese food.

LA and SF leads on regional variety. Canada (Vancouver and Toronto) leads on quality of authentic Cantonese.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Needless to say, NYC had long ago lost to the west coast on Chinese food.
I am not sure about NYC in particular but the Chinese food west is a lot different .. especially for the Americanized Chinese. Eggrolls are not eggrolls, won ton soup is different, lo mein is not as good. Where Hellmanns mayo is Best Foods "west of the Rockies", I am not sure where this change is made. With that said, the real Chinese restaurant we have in Reno is many levels above anything I found back East, not saying there weren't any but not in the Philly burbs at leat.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am not sure about NYC in particular but the Chinese food west is a lot different .. especially for the Americanized Chinese. Eggrolls are not eggrolls, won ton soup is different, lo mein is not as good. Where Hellmanns mayo is Best Foods "west of the Rockies", I am not sure where this change is made. With that said, the real Chinese restaurant we have in Reno is many levels above anything I found back East, not saying there weren't any but not in the Philly burbs at leat.
You clearly never went to the Nasty… Handy Nasty that is (Han Dynasty). Although I think they didn’t establish branch locations until sometime after 2012.

IDK I thought the Chinese food was good enough in Center City when I lived there, but better in NYC.

silverback

Skier
I was in NY a couple weeks ago and tried Jiang Nan. I thought is was pretty good but I was with Chinese friends and that usually seems to make the food better. We ordered a ton of food but the highlights for me were Budda's Temptation soup, thin sliced Ox Tongue, Whole grilled Fish, and Jelly Fish in vinegar sauce.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Cannot believe I missed this thread, but better late than never right. Thought I would share some pics from the Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo. It no longer exists, but was a very special place. They sold all things fish and were surrounded by a ring of shops and restaurants and what was my favorite sushi place that specialized in all things Toro :)

But what would a fish market be without fish heads and guts
1700153436069.png

Amazing street food
1700153493166.png

The worlds greatest Toro box. About a pound of super fresh Toro - this place would buy there fish at auction every morning and serve it up thoughout the day, pretty much the freshest sushi in the world.
1700156351204.png
1700153638855.png

and of course Sushi lollipops to take home for the kids
1700153678086.png

Last edited:

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I was with Chinese friends and that usually seems to make the food better.
Because they know what NOT to order!

Many Chinese restaurants in big cities cater to both Chinese and American clientele, they make Americanized dishes and native dishes. Unless you know what to order (or not to order), you're getting random dishes or random quality.

Even with "authentic" Chinese dishes, some are just so far "out there" non-natives just can't stomach! Again, with Chinese friends who had lived in this country long enough, they have a sense of what "authentic" dishes will come across well to non-natives.

And if your Chinese "friend" is a close friend, they may even tell you where they're from and what kind of "Chinese food" they like or dislike. China is a big country and the cuisine changes dramatically from one part to another. So when a Chinese walks into a restaurant claim to be Sichuan but hear Cantonese coming out of the kitchen, he would probably leave. Or at least NOT order the poorly made "Sichuan" dishes.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
At our regular Chinese place, it is not uncommon for us to be the only Caucasians eating.

Sponsor

Staff online