• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sushi anyone?

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
To make things more interesting, the cashier only allowed me to purchase one. I had two in my basket. They also said another factory in Korea was added to try to keep up with demand.
Am I missing something? They have the roll made in Korea? How many days does it take to ship it over here? :huh:

Perhaps that explains the "meh" part? ;)

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Regarding Nori...I was fortunate to eat at Shokunin when we were in Calgary this summer and the chef brought out some typical Nori and some special high-end Nori that he flys to Japan to source. WOW what a difference.

BTW. Their "omakase experience" was amazing and highly recommended if you are up that way.

Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 11-58-18 Yakitori Omakase – Shokunin.png

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Am I missing something? They have the roll made in Korea? How many days does it take to ship it over here? :huh:

Perhaps that explains the "meh" part? ;)
It's a frozen product, so freshness isn't an issue. The flavor profile of the product is meant to not offend. Unfortunately, I like stronger or more distinct flavors. That's how is misses the mark for me.

James

Out There
Instructor
Perhaps they should consider a name change. Few use the term Rapeseed Oil, opting for, Canadian Oil Low Acid. Aka Canola .

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Regarding Poke: Our first visit to Maui was in 2008. Departure day is always a conundrum. You have to check out at 10 or 11 am, but flight back to the mainland typically departs at 7PM. What to do for the half day? Can't really go to the beach. We drove about exploring some back roads. Stopped at a grocery thinking we would pick up some items for a picnic. As I wandered past the meat/seafood counter, I see the case with a half dozen different varieties of poke. What is it? Marinated tuna! Reasonably priced, Ok, give me a small tub.

Found a park and a picnic table and we broke out the newly acquired provisions. What's that? wife asks. "Poke!"
Holy cow, it was devoured instantly and we were left wishing we had bought a larger tub.

Next visit to Hawaii, we got poke from the grocery just about every other day!

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
It's a frozen product, so freshness isn't an issue.
OK. I kind of understand. but not really...

The "product" maybe frozen. But that in turn begs the question of why would anyone want frozen veggie in the first place? Even if it's wrapped in rice...

About the only frozen food I like is ice cream!

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK. I kind of understand. but not really...

The "product" maybe frozen. But that in turn begs the question of why would anyone want frozen veggie in the first place? Even if it's wrapped in rice...

About the only frozen food I like is ice cream!
Ever have a frozen dinner? One (oftern) uses a microwave to thaw and or warm up the meal. In this case, kimbap is like a sushi roll, so the target temp is slightly chilled. As stated above, the instructions are: pop it in the microwave for 2 min to thaw, wait a minute, and enjoy. The freezing is to keep the freshness. Again, an analog to a frozen dinner.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Ever have a frozen dinner? One (oftern) uses a microwave to thaw and or warm up the meal. In this case, kimbap is like a sushi roll, so the target temp is slightly chilled. As stated above, the instructions are: pop it in the microwave for 2 min to thaw, wait a minute, and enjoy. The freezing is to keep the freshness. Again, an analog to a frozen dinner.
Frozen dinner! :geek:

Some food lend itself to microwave re-heating. Beef stew reheats perfectly, without losing any texture or taste. Ice cream? Not at all.

Reheating frozen Sushi rolls? "Meh" was your description. But what else do you expect?

James

Out There
Instructor
The "product" maybe frozen. But that in turn begs the question of why would anyone want frozen veggie in the first place?
Dinner guest to hotel owner (John Cleese) -
“And the peas are fresh?”
Cleese-
“Well they were fresh when they were frozen!”
-Fawlty Towers

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Reheating frozen Sushi rolls? "Meh" was your description. But what else do you expect?
Preserved (salted) veg that has more salt/sour and etc flavor. I'd like the radish to taste like a radish, etc. Every veg has a signature flavor (to me) and I would like that flavor to stand out.
The texture of the rice was actually pretty good (acceptable); better than some/most run of the mill sushi place (read "mush"), but not as good as the best places.
Rice with a little "sushi" flavor (read sugar/vinegar) - but that might be my "sushi" understanding. I haven't had kimbap before. I have had a lot of Korean rice though.
Maybe some other sauce, accent on the roll - (pickled?) ginger, green onion, mustard/wasabi, etc would have been nice. All of these would have survived freezing well.
All of my wishes would probably throw someone else off the product.
As stated before, it was a little "bland", targeting to "not offend".

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Regarding Poke: Our first visit to Maui was in 2008. Departure day is always a conundrum. You have to check out at 10 or 11 am, but flight back to the mainland typically departs at 7PM. What to do for the half day? Can't really go to the beach. We drove about exploring some back roads. Stopped at a grocery thinking we would pick up some items for a picnic. As I wandered past the meat/seafood counter, I see the case with a half dozen different varieties of poke. What is it? Marinated tuna! Reasonably priced, Ok, give me a small tub.

Found a park and a picnic table and we broke out the newly acquired provisions. What's that? wife asks. "Poke!"
Holy cow, it was devoured instantly and we were left wishing we had bought a larger tub.

Next visit to Hawaii, we got poke from the grocery just about every other day!
Must be Foodland? A must every time I visit Maui!

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Preserved (salted) veg that has more salt/sour and etc flavor. I'd like the radish to taste like a radish, etc. Every veg has a signature flavor (to me) and I would like that flavor to stand out.
I'm a fresh vegetable guy. So I totally get the "every veg has a signature flavor" that needs to "stand out". Again, some "vegetable" keep the flavor better than others after freezing.

As for salted veg, I'm not a fan for the most part. That said, there're a few preserved veg that I actually like the "preserved" version as well as the fresh version. Apart from those, I don't really care for salted/preserved vegetables.

So you won't see me getting frozen sushi rolls.

Sponsor

Staff online