• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Something new from Ski Magazine - Paid Instruction

$149 -Ski Magazine Video Ski Instruction Course

• Worth it

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Not worth it

Votes: 37 71.2%
  • Depends

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Worth it in conjunction with other forms of hands on instruction

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Other(because every poll needs an other category)

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, this is interesting.
On September 1st, a new on line course launches. The Course includes a series of ski instruction videos from Michael Rogan, with a price tag of $149.00.
I first noticed it in a Facebook ad; here's the video promotion

There is no doubt that Michael Rogan is qualified to give good instruction on any platform, but I wonder about the price, considering how many on line ski tips are floating around on the inter web, including the incredible instruction here on Pugski.
Is this just another way that Ski is trying to make a buck in a declining print world?

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Hey finally a topic I actually know something about. In 15 years of designing online courses, I don't recommend it as a complete solution for the kinesthetic domain (physical tasks). You can show a learner the correct process and explain it beautifully any number of times, but until the learner actually tries it, and gets feedback from the instructor, they won't be able to actually feel what it is like to do it right. This is why in-person instruction is in my opinion, the only way to go. Video is great to introduce topics and model drills, etc. but for that kind of money, they are probably pitching this as a comprehensive course that will give you all you need. I don't think it is. I love the idea of video tips and courses to introduce concepts and model correct movements (and would even pay a modest amount--not $150-- for access to such videos), but I don't like it as a substitute for live instruction.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
If you click on the link that Tricia provided, you then have to click on FAQ to find out that the course is aimed at intermediates (no surprise as that is who comprises the bulk of the skiing public) and FAQ is where they tell you that each of the 9 lessons is 30 minutes in length.

In Canada there is a winter time TV program called Ski Television that visits ski resorts in Canada and around the world. Each week there is a short segment on ski tips usually aimed at a more advanced skier, from a level IV CSIA instructor. This type of thing plus free Youtube stuff makes me wonder if Ski Magazine will get any takers.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't recommend it as a complete solution for the kinesthetic domain (physical tasks).
I changed the poll to reflect "worth it in conjunction with other forms of instruction".

From my personal opinion, I think it is a stretch to ask $149 for ski instruction when you can see instruction from high caliber instructors for free.
I think Ski Magazine is struggling to make a go of it,(Is Print dead?) and they realize that they need to figure out how to make some kind of internet $$
Think about this. Ski Magazine counts on advertising dollars which are spread pretty thin. You rarely talk to anyone who actually pays for their subscription. Most of us receive it because we attended a Warren Miller movie and signed up for it, or bought a season pass at a sponsoring resort or....
I'm betting that Ski Magazine continues to land in the mailbox at the house where I lived for 25 years. We don't get it here.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have seen the following exchange during many ski lessons*.

Student: I am doing it. I am doing it.
Ski instructor: Nope.

Lessons that required self evaluations only work when we can find a way to replace the fun house mirror we all stared into. :duck:

* PC language removed and distilled down to it's bare essence for clarity.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I get a couple of skiing magazines because I'm a PSIA member. I brief em and toss em. Sometimes I don't even brief em.

As far as the videos, I've got a bunch of them. They are ok for what they are, but normally instruction needs some one on one instruction and feedback tailored to your needs. There are the extremes, how to use scotch tape, you can learn from a video. How to perform brain surgery, not so much. Skiing falls somewhere in between.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Nope $20 or freebie with a paid subscription maybe.

If you're a visual learner you can model better skiers but it's a stretch to command the price of a decent real lesson for a video.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Hey finally a topic I actually know something about. In 15 years of designing online courses, I don't recommend it as a complete solution for the kinesthetic domain (physical tasks). You can show a learner the correct process and explain it beautifully any number of times, but until the learner actually tries it, and gets feedback from the instructor, they won't be able to actually feel what it is like to do it right. This is why in-person instruction is in my opinion, the only way to go. Video is great to introduce topics and model drills, etc. but for that kind of money, they are probably pitching this as a comprehensive course that will give you all you need. I don't think it is. I love the idea of video tips and courses to introduce concepts and model correct movements (and would even pay a modest amount--not $150-- for access to such videos), but I don't like it as a substitute for live instruction.

^^^what Chris says ^^^

Videos, books, magazines are all good but only as a supplement to the real thing.

ToddW

Outa Here ... No Longer Active on Pugski
Inactive
Not worth the money.

Better video ski instruction (with demo skiing at a much higher technical level than Rogan's) is available for less money elsewhere.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The magazine used to have technique tips. They are burying their own brand by telling subscribers they need to fork out that much money for training tips.

Particularly troubling is the course of backcountry training. It costs enough money that some people might think it's adequate information to get going touring. Even if there are numerous disclaimers, it's scary to think who will watch this and believe they are prepared.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
In Canada there is a winter time TV program called Ski Television that visits ski resorts in Canada and around the world. Each week there is a short segment on ski tips usually aimed at a more advanced skier, from a level IV CSIA instructor. This type of thing plus free Youtube stuff makes me wonder if Ski Magazine will get any takers.

love these episodes! Ski Mag used to put ski tips on their page and on Youtube.....so I don't get their logic in charging for something that they used to post for free.....

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
From my personal opinion, I think it is a stretch to ask $149 for ski instruction when you can see instruction from high caliber instructors for free.

And you can get at least one hour of personal instruction for free. In Rose, last winter you could get an early bird private for 50 bucks as a season pass holder. And the most important aspect is that the video is one-way instruction, but the real person has the super important feedback that many mentioned above.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
I could see something like this working if the student were able to upload video of themselves skiing and get feedback from the instructor. Having the same instructor track progress via video over a period of weeks/months could be quite valuable, particularly if there was the optional extra of having an in-person lesson or two during that time. Obviously a product like this is going to cost a lot more than $149, but it sounds like a better value proposition to me.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I can't speak for anyone else. There are people on this forum who have said that they have learned from videos, and maybe they are the target audience for this series. I have never gotten anything out of a ski video (except stoke). If I didn't have the luxury of frequent skiing and ski lessons, I might try to force myself to learn something from videos.

Is there a "blended" learning style? I mean, I've also read studies that learning styles aren't actually real, but they sure seem like they're real. I like the instructor to briefly describe what they're looking for in words, then do a brief demo. Let me ask questions, maybe ask for another brief demo. But I have to try it. If it takes more than five minutes between introducing the concept and letting me try it, I'm going to get antsy and stop listening. Not on purpose, just seems to be my MO. (I do like private lessons so that I can do lots of iterations of this, with tons of questions. This would be obnoxious to do in a group setting.)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
And you can get at least one hour of personal instruction for free. In Rose, last winter you could get an early bird private for 50 bucks as a season pass holder. And the most important aspect is that the video is one-way instruction, but the real person has the super important feedback that many mentioned above.

At Sun Peaks season pass holders get 2 free group lessons if taken before Jan. 30.

If bought before June 30, an adult season pass is $800CDn or about $500 US. So for only 2.5 times what Ski Mag is offering you can get 2 real live lessons and then ski for free all winter.:daffy:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Not worth the money. I'm a lesson whore and take them whenever I can but I'm an in person, hands on kinda gal. There's too many free and very good videos out there if I want a video. Plus PSIA is an unlimited resource as well.

Maybe some people will find this useful but it just seems like they are reaching for money.

Sponsor