• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Something new from Ski Magazine - Paid Instruction

$149 -Ski Magazine Video Ski Instruction Course

• Worth it

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Not worth it

Votes: 37 71.2%
  • Depends

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Worth it in conjunction with other forms of hands on instruction

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Other(because every poll needs an other category)

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Several years ago I got the "good experience" to ski with Newfydog when he showed my long time ski bud and I around Fernie. Later on Epic he made a comment in a thread that has always stuck with me. "I'm ok with my skiing." Over the years I have taken clinics, lessons, lessons from PSIA friends, read, studied etc. and did become a competent skier, not an expert but came to a level where "I am ok with my skiing." I find a certain degree of satisfaction with this stage of my skiing life.

Learning and advancing your skiing is important but don't forget skiing is not all and always about technique, PSIA lesson plans, drills and rote.

At 75 yrs of age I am ok with my skiing.
van.JPG

Skiing here was heaven.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I think there is a uniqueness in skiing with respect to technique. In my adult life, I ski, play golf and tennis. For most who ski, there is not a downside to poor technique, they just make turn after turn, get down the hill fine and have a great time doing it. The physical thrill of going downhill is real, perhaps addictive. Sure, most would like to be better, but, are unwilling to put the time and money into instruction. Plus, most who take instruction quickly find out there is no magic wand and the payback is minimal in terms of improvement. The technique is somewhat simple, just stand up and weight the edges of a ski.

Playing golf and tennis is far more frustrating compared to skiing. Much harder to learn, plus, poor technique results in immediate feeling of failure. Playing your golf mishits makes one realize that if bad technique got you into trouble, the same technique will not help you get out. Don't even ask me about my widely unpredictable tennis forehand. Golf technique books, lessons, and video series is a multi-billion dollar industry. Do they help the average player, not really. Is Skiing Mag doing anything different than what Golf Magazine or the Golf Channel on TV are doing, not really. I will say that live golf and tennis instruction with a full time professional instructor does not produce immediate positive results, so no magic there either. I have taken lessons from at least a dozen professionals, my game is still what it is, my mishits continue. Is there a better instructor out there, ask me in 6 months as I taking a very different, sort of back to basics, approach with a different pro.

Having said the above, many know that I am a proponent of Harald Harb and his PMTS technique. When I returned to skiing, now 10 years ago, I bought his Expert Skier 2 book and video, studied the hell out of it, and, became a better skier the first day I used it. His teachings vary greatly from traditional PSIA instruction, and, are centered about how to move your body parts. Even using his teachings, it is widely known in the PMTS community that you cannot self-teach. There is a world of difference between what we feel when doing movements and what video analysis by an expert eye will observe. My improvement hit the point where I just sort of stayed at a higher level without continued development. I can live with how I ski, just need to do it more often. The thrill of going downhill never goes away.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Playing golf and tennis is far more frustrating compared to skiing. Much harder to learn, plus, poor technique results in immediate feeling of failure.

Unfortunately, in skiing, poor technique can result in a delayed and much more dangerous feeling of failure, and then the skiers can hurt other people when the skier's poor technique fails them.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Living Proof. I don't think I have ever compared golf and skiing. Your thread was well written and insightful. Yesterday I shot a 42 for 9 holes; 2 bogies, 5 pars and 2 snowmen (8) and I don't think I have ever had a skiing day like that. One of the reasons I enjoy skiing so much, other than the beauty-friends etc. is that I don't have really bad days anymore skiing. They are all good some just better than others.

My avatar pic being a good day.

Sponsor