• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Who's using the treadmill !
gym.jpg

Well, he didn't say WHAT to do while I was on it lol
1f61c.png

Skidad63

Booting up
Skier
I hate the gym, I ride my bike when possible. I do go to the gym when the weather is bad.... sometimes.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Well, what the heck, might as well feel accountable on here also :)

The motivation took a while

Family history of HBP, Type 2, and cholesterol. Was a large kid and carried some extra weight about 220. Grew up in a black top family so was on the crew pulling my weight at 12. Took a break from that and went into the Marine Corps. Came off Parris Island @ a hard 189, then college and a job. I put a lot of years in taking care of the fam and hitting the OT so the wife could stay home and getting everything paid off, not much time for the Varmint. Fast fwd to my late 40's and I have HBP, Type 2, and cholesterol carrying around 275ish, imagine that. Post Type 2, started eating better and got to 265-8 and leveled out. Was taking statins that were 650.00 for the first quarter of the year and a bit over 1K for the year.

Listened to a money guy on the radio and he made a statement that finally sunk in. The intentionality of staying/getting financially independent is the same as staying/getting in shape. Hmmmm. I noodled this for a year while the statins made picking up a cup of coffee painful. Since I hate spending on stuff that hurts, and Scrooge McDuck is my spirit animal, I quit the statins and bought a treadmill at the post Christmas after New Years resolution sale. BP is down from 145/90 ish to 108/71, A1c is down .5, and cholesterol is 212 un medicated. As a bonus, I was at 268 to start, this morning 248.

I dont like to do it no more than I liked to NOT go out to eat, or get the nicer car or miss all the skiing that I back burnered for 20 years.
I dont like getting on it right after work. I have things I would rather be doing for a hour.

However. The wife and I went to Okemo about a month or so into the treadmill. I was able to really make the new skis work and while the hot tub was welcome at the end of the day, I was at the lift when it opened every morning. I like that.
I like that the pants fit better.
I like that I am putting fewer chemicals in me, and it looks like one of the BP meds is going to be going away.

Don Duran

Instructor / trainer / coach
Skier
I have reached the point that gym time has become mandatory. So even though I loath the gym and things like workout classes I tell myself I am earning future turns. I also ride and hike a lot but neither build the strength and RoM I need to ski well.
Gym work sucks but not as much as losing skiing performance and settling for being just a blue boulevard cruizer.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I rediscovered bike riding a few years ago after not riding a bike since I was a kid. I found it very enjoyable and now bike 25-35 miles on a hybrid after work starting when the weather warms up in April through the end of DST in October. The outdoor community pool is 50 meters long and I will swim 1500-2000 meters after work from Memorial Day to Labor Day when the pool is open, alternating a couple of days of bike riding. While biking is a lot of fun, I don't think it gives near the workout of swimming.

When it;s raining out, I try to do some plyo or dumbbell exercises from P90X. This is also what I do during the cold season from November to March.

Anybody else swimming??

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I rediscovered bike riding a few years ago after not riding a bike since I was a kid. I found it very enjoyable and now bike 25-35 miles on a hybrid after work starting when the weather warms up in April through the end of DST in October. The outdoor community pool is 50 meters long and I will swim 1500-2000 meters after work from Memorial Day to Labor Day when the pool is open, alternating a couple of days of bike riding. While biking is a lot of fun, I don't think it gives near the workout of swimming.

When it;s raining out, I try to do some plyo or dumbbell exercises from P90X. This is also what I do during the cold season from November to March.

Anybody else swimming??
I swim. I'm lucky to live in a town that has one of the largest Masters swim teams in the country. Our team offers 9 professionally coached workouts a day, 5 days a week, and 3 workouts on Saturdays. I love swimming in a structured workout, with lane mates and a coach holding me accountable. I used to swim 5-6 days a week, but then my work hours changed, so now I do 3-4 days a week. I also bike, and feel like that is actually more of a workout than swimming. I got burned out from doing and training for long rides, so didn't ride much for the past couple of years. I am just now starting to ride more again.

I am considering my options as far a strength training. This has become a necessity for me after too many years of running, swimming, cycling, skiing, and not enough core and strength work. I hate the gym, but I'm either going to join one connected to a physical therapy practice, or i'm going to rejoin my old climbing gym, and use their weights.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Anybody else swimming??

I also started late-life bike commuting Apr-Oct about a dozen years ago. Mix in some lap swimming, but mostly do that in winter occasionally. Today I rode a fairly long ride for me, about 30 miles on the C&O Canal and saw this (not my picture):
13c9529a-5034-44f7-892a-cd0bfe5cd5a2

Afterwards, I swam laps in a pool for about 20-30 mins. That swim seemed to help relax my legs after the ride.

Phelmut

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I swim. I'm lucky to live in a town that has one of the largest Masters swim teams in the country. Our team offers 9 professionally coached workouts a day, 5 days a week, and 3 workouts on Saturdays. I love swimming in a structured workout, with lane mates and a coach holding me accountable. I used to swim 5-6 days a week, but then my work hours changed, so now I do 3-4 days a week. I also bike, and feel like that is actually more of a workout than swimming. I got burned out from doing and training for long rides, so didn't ride much for the past couple of years. I am just now starting to ride more again.

I am considering my options as far a strength training. This has become a necessity for me after too many years of running, swimming, cycling, skiing, and not enough core and strength work. I hate the gym, but I'm either going to join one connected to a physical therapy practice, or i'm going to rejoin my old climbing gym, and use their weights.

That must be nice to have coaches and teammates to push each other. I'm swimming in a public pool and there are no lanes roped off for lap swimmers and there is the PITA rope going across the pool to designate the deep end. It's usually not bad but sometimes it's like going through an obstacle course with the kids swimming around. I belong to a YMCA also but I hate swimming inside with the chlorine smell and the sauna atmosphere. Much rather be outside.

Jim, that is a cool railroad trail along the canal. I agree that swimming after a bike ride feels great for the legs. Swimming tends to cushion impact and loosen up all my joints.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if you could get them to put in a lap lane or two, or designate a lap swim time? Surely you're not the only one who likes to swim laps. I agree about indoor pools-yuck. Luckily all the pools here are outdoor (heated in the winter).

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I've recently come to the realization that I need to start working out in the gym. I used to maintain my fitness mostly by doing outdoor sports, but they all take time, and with two kids I do less of them and so I need to supplement my training if I'm going to get rid of mom bod and stay strong. Recently I joined a local rock gym and have been doing that and also trying to go 2-3 times a week to do a combo of bodyweight training and lifting. Its going fairly well, but I pinged a pulley tendon when I was doing negative pullups the other day so I'm worried how it will feel during today's workout.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I've recently come to the realization that I need to start working out in the gym. I used to maintain my fitness mostly by doing outdoor sports, but they all take time, and with two kids I do less of them and so I need to supplement my training if I'm going to get rid of mom bod and stay strong. Recently I joined a local rock gym and have been doing that and also trying to go 2-3 times a week to do a combo of bodyweight training and lifting. Its going fairly well, but I pinged a pulley tendon when I was doing negative pullups the other day so I'm worried how it will feel during today's workout.

Exactly. The gym allows you to work individual muscles in isolation. It is a great thing for physical conditioning. When you do full motion sports such as swimming or biking, as great as they are, one muscle can compensate for a weakness in another. When you work out with weights, you can pick and choose. And get in better shape, reduce (*) the chance of injuries, etc

(*) needless to say, nothing eliminates the risk of injury :)

Phelmut

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Exactly. The gym allows you to work individual muscles in isolation. It is a great thing for physical conditioning. When you do full motion sports such as swimming or biking, as great as they are, one muscle can compensate for a weakness in another. When you work out with weights, you can pick and choose. And get in better shape, reduce (*) the chance of injuries, etc

Yeah, but if you are doing something that is fun you're more likely to do it more often:) You also get a cardio workout doing full motion sports. I think it's important to have a mixed workout routine for best results.

Lullski, there is only one other regular lap swimmer that I see there. Most times it's not bad if I go at the right time, like 6:30ish when most people go home for dinner. I definitely need to plan my time though. If I can't make it there at a decent time I ride my bike or do something else like dumbbell work,

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Planet Fitness is opening in 3 weeks. Wondering if the $10/month would be worth it??

Depending on what you are looking to do. AFAIK some Planet Fitness gyms have weird rules for lifting, like they don't allow you to do certain lifts, they prefer people to use machines. Some might not even have a squat rack etc. So, visit the one near you and check it out I guess?

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I go to the gym in my basement. Nothing fancy, but it has all I need to get a good workout and the dues are reasonable. :D

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I go to the gym in my basement. Nothing fancy, but it has all I need to get a good workout and the dues are reasonable. :D
Smart. I try to do body weight exercises at home in addition to exercises for my back, but I'm not consistent. I think having a routine is key.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

That's truuuue ... but unless you're working with a trainer, you're likely to work the big individual muscles and neglect the niche exercises that keep all your stabilizers strong, no?

Sponsor

Staff online