• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Give it time and hang in there. I have watch that my MCL doesn't get re-tweaked but I think stronger legs will help out there. Avoid over doing but know that you're doing right by yourself.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anybody done Insanity or P90X? I did a few rounds of P90X a few years back and got in good shape doing that. I still do the plyo workout a few days/week during the winter when I can't do things outside. Right now I'm a few weeks into my first round of Insanity and while it is a great workout, it is only cardio exercises, no weight/resistance training. So far I think P90X was tougher, but i was in pretty decent shape when I started Insanity and I was not when i started P90X. Insanity is supposed to get tougher after the first 4 weeks, so we'll see,

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
During the past few winters I have done both Insanity and P90X workouts.

Yes, the second round of Insanity (Max) will be a bit longer and have some different intervals which make it a bit harder than what you are doing now.

Insanity does a nice job on cardio and core......I also like the involved plyo for ski movements/footwork, but I do always feel I need to supplement with weight training....

An alternate method I have used is to do both Insanity and P90X workouts during the weekly routine. I alternated each day. Was a nice mix...something different to look forward to each day. Doing Insanity everyday gets to be "Insanity"......so mixing it with P90X helped.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Did some Stonefit last weekend. Shovel rock into wheelbarrow, roll wheelbarrow up ramp to dump in truck, shovel rock from truck to tractor bucket, shovel rock around collector for the woods water system. 3 reps of 2 ton. Funny, the wife would rather go to the gym than do my workouts :) offload.jpg
Back on the treadmill Wed. felt pretty good. Cut the time back to 35 min and the speed back to 4.2 MPH with minimal angle. Will try again tonight.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anybody done Insanity or P90X? I did a few rounds of P90X a few years back and got in good shape doing that. I still do the plyo workout a few days/week during the winter when I can't do things outside. Right now I'm a few weeks into my first round of Insanity and while it is a great workout, it is only cardio exercises, no weight/resistance training. So far I think P90X was tougher, but i was in pretty decent shape when I started Insanity and I was not when i started P90X. Insanity is supposed to get tougher after the first 4 weeks, so we'll see,

I did P90X one winter, it worked, but not my cup of tea.

After a knee injury, I did the worst thing possible, I stopped working out. After 4 years, back at it again, starting week 6. I like Wendler's 5/3/1 lifting with agility on other days. Start this program again on Monday. Doing a lot more stationary cycling for knees. It's helping.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Stonefit (R)? LOL. You could call it PioneersmanFit, or Pio. Not to be confused with Plyo.

Me in the gym: took a week off between rotations, but did Pilates 3x. Might add one Pilates class/week into the rotation.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Stonefit (R)? LOL. You could call it PioneersmanFit, or Pio. Not to be confused with Plyo.

Me in the gym: took a week off between rotations, but did Pilates 3x. Might add one Pilates class/week into the rotation.
I heated 100% with wood for 13 years. Burned 12-17 cord a year.
I called that Woodfit to try to get the girls out to help. I told my daughter that I needed her to get about 4 friends that could smile while sweating in spandex and I could be rich selling the videos. All muscle groups, full range of motion, constant change up of angles, resistance, speed, core, it had everything. Had a doc ask me if I exercised. I told him I cut wood. He said that wasnt cardio. I said "You never cut wood with me."
The last time I was in decent shape, I had put up a lot more than I was going to use, so I sold a few cord that I had to split pretty fine, with a maul.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
During the past few winters I have done both Insanity and P90X workouts.

Yes, the second round of Insanity (Max) will be a bit longer and have some different intervals which make it a bit harder than what you are doing now.

Insanity does a nice job on cardio and core......I also like the involved plyo for ski movements/footwork, but I do always feel I need to supplement with weight training....

An alternate method I have used is to do both Insanity and P90X workouts during the weekly routine. I alternated each day. Was a nice mix...something different to look forward to each day. Doing Insanity everyday gets to be "Insanity"......so mixing it with P90X helped.

Yeah, as i'm going through Insanity (~1/2 way through:) I am thinking that doing P90X resistance and Insanity cardio in lieu of the P90X cardio would yield some impressive results. I think P90X is tougher overall in that the workouts are longer, the program is a month longer, and there is rarely a day off. Insanity is such a beating on the same muscles that you get the one off day/week. P90X you are hitting different muscle groups each day so you can do it every day.

Reactions: BC.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Crunches can kill your back. I had a six pack last summer, now I have a chronically sore back.

I'm no expert, but I believe an expert would say that pain could be related to improper form.

I went back to my old personal trainer to get me jump-started for ski season - specifically trying to get my right leg to behave itself. And I mentioned that my shoulders were misbehaving a bit as well (chronic impingement issues). The current program includes deadlifts, lat pulldowns, something he calls a hammer, pushups on hanging rings, and decline situps.

Deadlifts: modified by putting 45lb rubber plates underneath so my knee doesn't get irritated bending too far. Very low weight for me, but using rubber bands so that the top part of the lift is harder than the bottom. The challenge is to maintain proper form and complete the shoulder movement at the top.

Pulldowns: pretty self-explanatory.

Hammer: I know this is an incomplete name. You take a bar and stick it into this rotating thing on the ground. Then you hold the top of the bar in front of you with both hands and bring it to either side of your body. Not all the way down, because then you end up cheating and letting momentum do the work.

Pushups on rings: These are easy on my wrists, and you control the actual weight by the number of steps you take forward or backward before you do the pushups.

Decline situps: You set up a bench at an angle, then clamber onto it so that your legs are above your torso. Do situps. Very weird. Kinda tiring. My abs hurt today for some reason!

Lifting feels pretty great. Especially deadlifts. Rawr!

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm no expert, but I believe an expert would say that pain could be related to improper form.

I stay away from crunches. Nothing wrong with sit ups. That's just my gym and me.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

I stay away from crunches. Nothing wrong with sit ups. That's just my gym and me.

Honestly, I have never fully understood the distinction, anyway.

Currently I've been assigned decline situps, and the lowest parts of my abs are crying. My trainer says that's simply because they happen to be my weakest. It's an evil exercise.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Honestly, I have never fully understood the distinction, anyway.

Currently I've been assigned decline situps, and the lowest parts of my abs are crying. My trainer says that's simply because they happen to be my weakest. It's an evil exercise.

How do they work? It sound like negatives but that doesn't make sense?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
How do they work? It sound like negatives but that doesn't make sense?

Dunno what negatives are ... but I set up a bench at a 45* angle with the roller thingies at the top. Hook my lower legs into the roller thingies so that my upper body is below my legs. Then do situps from there.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
I normally just do my regular workout, lots of cardio and weight training, generally 6 days a week off season, nothing ski specific then just go ski and get in ski shape. As I’ve grown older I have noticed that getting in “ski shape” seems to take more skier days, maybe 7-10 days before I feel pretty strong on my skis, which for me is like the first week or two of the season.

This year I thought I’d train specifically for skiing and see if I feel stronger and less sore sooner.

I kept my regular routine over the summer, four days of weight training for strength (lifting maximum weight over fewer reps) and two days of running during the week, in addition to a cardio component during the weight training days.
After Labor Day I switched it around, doing higher sets and reps at lower weights and added an additional component, something I found in searching fitness forums (some of you may use these already) called “Leg Blasters

This is an eccentric movement, lengthening of the muscles, similar to what your leg muscles experience when skiing or walking/running down a hill as opposed to up it, a concentric movement.

All I can say is they are killers and you need to work yourself up to them. I’m now up to 5sets of the full leg blasters plus I added a lateral jumping movement at the end of each circuit (30seconds jumping over a foam roller bringing your knees as high as you can as you jump to the left and right over it, very similar motion to making quick short turns on moguls).

I do the blasters after a fairly intense 60-plus minutes of my lifting program. Unlike just about any other leg excercise this seems to mimic most closely the soreness I feel after skiing, particularly in the quads. My legs have gotten a little more muscular and I feel in much better shape than I have in the last few pre-seasons. One warning though, do not attempt these back to back, give yourself a day off in between them and start with the min blaster (half the numbers) and work up to the full one!

It will be interesting to see if/how much different I feel those first few days out.

Last edited:

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Here is an interesting 9 minute strength workout:
https://www.nytimes.com/guides/well/strength-training-plyometrics

A minute each for squats, pushups, mountain climbers, no break between them.
One minute break.
A minute each for plank, split squats, single leg hip raise, no break between.
One minute break
A minute each for burpee with push up, single leg toe touch, leg raises.

To add cardio, three minutes each of jumping jacks, pogo hops, reverse lunges done before the strength work out.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier

I went back to my old personal trainer to get me jump-started for ski season - specifically trying to get my right leg to behave itself. And I mentioned that my shoulders were misbehaving a bit as well (chronic impingement issues). The current program includes deadlifts, lat pulldowns, something he calls a hammer, pushups on hanging rings, and decline situps.

Deadlifts: modified by putting 45lb rubber plates underneath so my knee doesn't get irritated bending too far. Very low weight for me, but using rubber bands so that the top part of the lift is harder than the bottom. The challenge is to maintain proper form and complete the shoulder movement at the top.

Pulldowns: pretty self-explanatory.

Hammer: I know this is an incomplete name. You take a bar and stick it into this rotating thing on the ground. Then you hold the top of the bar in front of you with both hands and bring it to either side of your body. Not all the way down, because then you end up cheating and letting momentum do the work.

Pushups on rings: These are easy on my wrists, and you control the actual weight by the number of steps you take forward or backward before you do the pushups.

Lifting feels pretty great. Especially deadlifts. Rawr!
Is the workout routine from your trainer geared towards re-habbing your shoulders as well? I have an impingement in one shoulder and found that seated rows are less stressful on it than wide-grip lat pulldowns. I also do other movements with rubber bands from a rehab routine given me by a PT. The latter help a lot.

Sponsor

Staff online