• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I guess it depends on the gym. I hate hate hate treadmills, stationary bikes, etc. I love lifting, but I much prefer to do it with a trainer. Of course, that's expensive. But when I'm seeing a trainer once a week, I definitely have some transference and feel like I have to do the in-between workouts so as not to disappoint him.

Climbing gym, on the other hand - great workout, not hard to motivate.

I'm lying right now, though, because the only real gym workouts I've been doing are the scheduled ones with the trainer. This guy is at the PT office, though, so it's covered through insurance(!!!).

lonewolf210

Jake K.
Skier
I guess it depends on the gym. I hate hate hate treadmills, stationary bikes, etc. I love lifting, but I much prefer to do it with a trainer. Of course, that's expensive. But when I'm seeing a trainer once a week, I definitely have some transference and feel like I have to do the in-between workouts so as not to disappoint him.

Climbing gym, on the other hand - great workout, not hard to motivate.

I'm lying right now, though, because the only real gym workouts I've been doing are the scheduled ones with the trainer. This guy is at the PT office, though, so it's covered through insurance(!!!).

I really hate treadmills and I used to hate lifting but I have been dedicated the last few months and am starting to enjoy it. I've managed to put on some weight but am looking to gain another 5 pounds or so. Goals are important for motivation. I find once you do it long enough to make it a habit it becomes almost more difficult not to go. We like our routines.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I try to be active 3-4 times a week. Whether that's the gym, tennis, or biking. I feel better, have a smile on, because of it. If I don't, I'm grouchy. I Iike myself better. It's also better when I join a group. Doing it by myself is much harder. Having another to share in the pain and laughing at the torture makes it better.

There's no secret. Just make it part of my day, like brushing teeth.

OK, I don't drink, so this is my outlet.

Bobalooski

Getting off the lift
Inactive
what's a gym??? :) I'm sure I saw a recent report that said a glass of red wine was as good for you as an hour of exercise...:wine:

I read that same report. And let's remember the importance of sleep to one's health and fitness as well. Perhaps a glass of wine after a nice nap, followed by a good night's sleep would be the ticket! ;)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I read that same report. And let's remember the importance of sleep to one's health and fitness as well. Perhaps a glass of wine after a nice nap, followed by a good night's sleep would be the ticket! ;)

That's not terribly far off base. We're all chronically sleep deprived. At least, I know I am.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am an endorphin junkie.....I love hard aerobic exercise, and run half marathons and do long SUP workouts in the summer.

That said, I typically hate gyms, after spending years in one doing strength training for bike racing. I find many of them soulless and boring.

Now, I go to a boxing gym and LOVE it. A big part of the attraction is the people.....all social, positive, and motivated, from all walks of life. I take boxing and kickboxing classes 3-4 times a week and recently started working in the ring with a boxing trainer (using mitts). As part of our workouts we do tons of core work and footwork. Strength is important, but speed and agility are equally important. The owners of this gym have created an amazing environment - all the members are part of a big family.

Like @Monique , I also love climbing gyms and use to be quite the climbing gym rat, but increased traffic made our drive to the gym a huge time sink and source of stress, which was unfortunate.

Last edited:

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's not terribly far off base. We're all chronically sleep deprived. At least, I know I am.
Not me. I get a solid 8 hours a night. It is almost like an obsession with me. If I don't get 8 hours, like last night, I am not fully alert and th-zzzzzzzzzzz

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Not me. I get a solid 8 hours a night. It is almost like an obsession with me. If I don't get 8 hours, like last night, I am not fully alert and th-zzzzzzzzzzz

Hah! Exactly.

Try to juggle my life during rehab has felt like I am fighting an eight-sided battle. Sleep, PT, dogs, husband, work, exercise, blah blah blah ... Sleep loses, frequently.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You have to find joy in your workouts, or at least partial joy mixed with the exertion.ogsmile I am not a super workout fiend, but stay fairly regular about it at age 63. I mix it up. Have found over the last 10-15 years that bike commuting has been great for me. Gives me a workout and also a pleasant, even occasionally joyful commute in the DC area, which is typically an area for extremely unpleasant commuting experiences. But now in cold, winter daylight time I have been going to a military gym instead for light weight training and exercise bike. It's free and close to my office. I also jog occasionally. I don't usually have a workout buddy or do classes, but that certainly works for some folks. Been taking ballroom dancing lessons with wife for last four months, once per week. That was surprisingly high amount of exertion esp. for a lousy dancer like me and I found many parallels with beginning skiers, how they have so much more fatigue from stress, while we experienced skiers can sleep walk through a day of groomer skiing. One of my motivators as an older person is trying to keep up with average exercisers half my age, it's challenging and humbling.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I usually get 8 hours a night, but once in a while I fall asleep too early and end up waking up at 3 AM, unable to get back to sleep - like last night. (or was it this morning?)

Stacks

Stacks
Skier
I'm not a fan of gyms, too many unnecessary barriers for myself. I think the challenge is to build discipline and routine into your lifestyle so you're prioritising some form of exercise daily, 40 - 60 minutes a day. I'm an early riser with lots of energy in the morning so it's not an issue usually for me. You can create your own home gym and ski specific work out very simply and at next to no cost.

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
I try to stay disciplined and get to the gym 4 times a week. Being goal oriented helps -- working towards something is a good motivator for me (it almost doesn't matter what the goal is, so long as it gets my attention). And varying workouts helps as well, to break up the monotony as well as making my muscles do different things.

I can't say it's always easy, or that I don't miss days occasionally, but in general I do OK with my approach.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I try to go to the gym at least 3 times a week in the cold months (the rest of the year I bike and play tennis). I've made myself disco-heavy playlists that keep me going while I do cardio. I also listen to podcasts, for some reason they induce me to stay on that damn elliptical! Then some weights, stretching. It can be a hassle but not going is worse (total grouch!) I also play an hour or two of indoor tennis a week. That's probably the best prep of all as far as I'm concerned.

Basically since I don't ski as much as I'd love to, I want to make sure I make the most of my days on the snow, and being in decent condition helps.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I received a card promoting Orangetheory. Anyone tried it? Is it just updated aerobics?

I have not, but I have quite a few friends who love it. It is high-intensity interval training, and although not as intense as CrossFit, I've heard about an injury bug with it, as well. (That's not to discourage it, just word to the wise.)

I hate gyms, too. When we finished our basement a few years ago, we put an exercise room in. (We also put in a Guinness tap, btw.) So I have a bike and a few weights and medicine balls and a skier's edge and a bosu ... and a tv ... It works for me, but tbh I don't do very intense workouts there. It mostly just helps me to avoid falling too far behind. I have to be doing something to really put in the time, whether it's shoveling snow or hiking or whatever.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
I wish I could get 8 hours of sleep. I'm by nature a night owl and have a hard time falling asleep at a decent hour at night. Always have, even as a kid. Has made getting to Crossfit difficult as it would be better if I went before work. Oftentimes I'll get stuck at work late and end up missing my evening classes as a result.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually get 8 hours a night, but once in a while I fall asleep too early and end up waking up at 3 AM, unable to get back to sleep - like last night. (or was it this morning?)

I've got the same sleep issue too. Been playing around w/ trying to eat lighter at dinner and to stop snack right afterwards. It seems to help, but just surfing the web or watching tv doesn't help (with NOT eating). Got to find another distraction to avoid food after 7p, in order sleep well at 10/11p.

Doing ski/fish daytrips on 2-3 hrs of sleep is not wise. I should know better.

Sponsor