• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'll be the first to admit, I really have a hard time getting excited about going to a gym to work out. I've done it, and even had a personal trainer for about a year in my late thirties, which kept me honest about getting a real work out.
So, when I have friends posting about their faithful gym habits and training for their favorite activities, whether its someone who's digging the Tri-Life, cycling or just keeping in shape for the ski season.... I'm impressed and inspired by those who can be diligent about getting into the gym.

Shoutout to @Luvbug for posting this on her Facebook wall and getting me thinking about it.
So stoked to have had the opportunity to work one on one with Erin Carson and Amy at ECFIT Boulder a few weeks ago. Being back in the gym is the biggest change I'm making going in 2017 and I'm so excited.... so 2017, bring it!!

Strength behind the pros Part 1

How do you get excited about the gym?

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I received a card promoting Orangetheory. Anyone tried it? Is it just updated aerobics?

Long Hair Hippy

Getting on the lift
Skier
It’s definitely not easy getting motivated to workout. While I’m certainly not a poster child for physical fitness, I force myself to work out 4-5 days per week in the off season so that I can ski all winter/spring. I consider time on the hill to be my workout routine once the season has started.

I was fortunate enough to train with a former All American wrestler and Olympic coach who got me started on the right track . He was in his 80’s when I started training at his gym. That man knew everything about human physiology. He was very old school and not much into modern gym equipment. Even had several sets of vibrating belts that he insisted everyone use after working certain muscle groups to stimulate blood flow. Sadly, he passed a couple of years ago. I still incorporate many of his circuit exercises into my daily workout routine.

I will say, it doesn’t matter how much I train, it never seems like it’s enough once the season starts!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I loathe the gym and wish I was one of those dedicated "gym rats" because that's dedication and commitment and I admire that. I use the elliptical and treadmill and ab machines but only as a last resort. What really gets me to the gym is a pilates or yoga class.

Emil

Putting on skis
Skier
I usually set a goal and if I reach it I may buy a pair of new skis. This autumn I have been to the gym 5 days a week in average but missed the weight goal. I bought new skis anyway ogsmile. A forgotten perk going to gym classes such as core or whatever is that you can "enjoy the view" even if they might not appreciate a half fat, sweaty middle-aged engineer.

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My gym time is nearly exclusively October - February when I can't get outside as much, especially during the week. I'll run in the dark but cycling in the dark is out of the question for me. I just cannot see well enough nor do I trust cars to see me. Fortunately, my gym time is mostly my plyo class so it's nearly as social as it is physical. Generally I try to do some cardio before plyo as well. When I'm injured and can't run or cycle I try to swim or aqua jog which I really struggle with as it's mostly solitary so it doesn't distract me from the fact that I can't be outside.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
what's a gym??? :) I'm sure I saw a recent report that said a glass of red wine was as good for you as an hour of exercise...:wine:
I like the way you think.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Perhaps something to keep in mind is how much more difficult workouts are the first few times when getting back into it than after your body adjusts. So if you just focus on getting through your first session, then your second, eventually resistance to doing it can wane and be offset by the magical drug endorphins.

It also helps to have a partnerr. Phil for example. Although I prefer someone scrawny.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Perhaps something to keep in mind is how much more difficult workouts are the first few times when getting back into it than after your body adjusts. So if you just focus on getting through your first session, then your second, eventually resistance to doing it can wane and be offset by the magical drug endorphins.

It also helps to have a partnerr. Phil for example. Although I prefer someone scrawny.

so just like red wine....:roflmao:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For me, it's all about taking classes or I just won't do it. Love yoga and Body Pump. I'd much rather be outside, though. I haven't gone to the gym except once since I started working on the mountain. I'm too tired at the end of the day, or have to be mom, and I just don't seem to find the time. I haven't grocery shopped in a week. We'll see how it goes this summer. It really is good for my bad shoulder and such to do strength training for it. I just would rather be out on skis or my bike!

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my daughters is a fitness trainer and is always using me as an example of an old guy who is fit. So, while I don't go to the gym, I do work out at home with dumb bells and a kettle bell so that my daughter is not a lying liar.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my daughters is a fitness trainer and is always using me as an example of an old guy who is fit. So, while I don't go to the gym, I do work out at home with dumb bells and a kettle bell so that my daughter is not a lying liar.
Lying liars are the WORST!

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'll do pretty much anything to avoid the gym, but when it has to happen I bribe myself with TV ... have a show I only watch when running on the treadmill (has to be kind of trashy & addictive, currently Friday Night Lights). Winter running is great though, get some neoshell sneakers, gaiters, tape some toe warmers on your inside layer shirt if it's super cold, get a breathable shell with pit zips and you're good to go. For motivation I sign up for a races, they always seem like a good idea at the time, but then you have to train. Or else I just remind myself that Im a much nicer person when I exercise regularly.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Lying liars are the WORST!

Isn't that a double negative??? ....:huh:

Sponsor

Staff online