• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Back before New Years I was wondering why this thread was still active so piped in on page #5 at post #90 with some humor making fun of the blabberings. Monique was amused enough to call that grumping haha.

So was curious this morning since I haven't opened the thread since, what all the rest of you might be still be talking about 7 weeks later since it now shows 23 pages haha. Thus went in and found this discussion about interpreting and trusting snow depths. Aha, a subject worth adding some summary two cents to.

Tossing out a nugget of wisdom, only a newbie or fool ought to blindly trust official resort reported new snow or base depths when conditions are low because marketing guys at resorts have a decades long history of influencing such numbers sometimes. That is despite any supposed industry or whatever guidelines. When a resort is not making enough money from walk up lift ticket purchasers due to (usually early season) mediocre conditions, it is a sure way of suckering in a few more of those that are at a threshold considering going up to visit a resort that don't use any better way of making an assessment. The same groups versus we season pass dirt bags, most likely to also spend a lot more money on rentals, lodging, slope restaurants, and ski shops. In other word the sought after prey.

And G as an older guy has obviously been around enough, and as a smart guy, knows how to get around BS and at something closer to reality. Remote gauges with online Internet presence, weather sites, resort and regional web cams, personal reports of others on this board, a resort Facebook page comments, and poking around on regional enthusiast boards for reports. In any case at best when snow depths are low, one ought expect there will be lots of obstacles poking up, especially off groomed runs and where sun, trees, terrain forms, and winds tend to make depths lower than average while less wind and sun exposed areas will have less obstacles. Even 20 foot depths don't cover up trees. Its all vague, relative and variable increasingly better understood with more experience.

After even a couple inches of fresh powder, one can also always be sure that some skiers without common sense not on rentals, without rock skis, will grinning take their expensive shiny skis into places where they are sure to gouge core shots and gash edges impossible to ever fix and then whine about it publicly. An experienced savvy skier even at resorts they are not familiar with, can deal with low snow conditions by skiing on groomed runs while keeping one's eyes open and only going off such trails where they understand the basic tendencies of snow deposition, can ski in control, and patiently stop to assess areas that are bony. I've got 13 long skiing days in this very bony low base so far winter while having to ptex my bases just in a couple minor spots and have stoned out with a few easy passes minor edge dings. I also resisted the temptation to join all mountain oriented skiers at times when I knew better.

Last edited:
TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wondering if the OP is now considering a trip to Sacremento? Wear the ski gear.
hehehe, id have to head to lake placid first for that to happen...lol

WC68

Booting up
Skier
Back before New Years I was wondering why this thread was still active so piped in on page #5 at post #90 with some humor making fun of the blabberings. Monique was amused enough to call that grumping haha.

So was curious this morning since I haven't opened the thread since, what all the rest of you might be still be talking about 7 weeks later since it now shows 23 pages haha. Thus went in and found this discussion about interpreting and trusting snow depths. Aha, a subject worth adding some summary two cents to.

Tossing out a nugget of wisdom, only a newbie or fool ought to blindly trust official resort reported new snow or base depths when conditions are low because marketing guys at resorts have a decades long history of influencing such numbers sometimes. That is despite any supposed industry or whatever guidelines. When a resort is not making enough money from walk up lift ticket purchasers due to (usually early season) mediocre conditions, it is a sure way of suckering in a few more of those that are at a threshold considering going up to visit a resort that don't use any better way of making an assessment. The same groups versus we season pass dirt bags, most likely to also spend a lot more money on rentals, lodging, slope restaurants, and ski shops. In other word the sought after prey.

And G as an older guy has obviously been around enough, and as a smart guy, knows how to get around BS and at something closer to reality. Remote gauges with online Internet presence, weather sites, resort and regional web cams, personal reports of others on this board, a resort Facebook page comments, and poking around on regional enthusiast boards for reports. In any case at best when snow depths are low, one ought expect there will be lots of obstacles poking up, especially off groomed runs and where sun, trees, terrain forms, and winds tend to make depths lower than average while less wind and sun exposed areas will have less obstacles. Even 20 foot depths don't cover up trees. Its all vague, relative and variable increasingly better understood with more experience.

After even a couple inches of fresh powder, one can also always be sure that some skiers without common sense not on rentals, without rock skis, will grinning take their expensive shiny skis into places where they are sure to gouge core shots and gash edges impossible to ever fix and then whine about it publicly. An experienced savvy skier even at resorts they are not familiar with, can deal with low snow conditions by skiing on groomed runs while keeping one's eyes open and only going off such trails where they understand the basic tendencies of snow deposition, can ski in control, and patiently stop to assess areas that are bony. I've got 13 long skiing days in this very bony low base so far winter while having to ptex my bases just in a couple minor spots and have stoned out with a few easy passes minor edge dings. I also resisted the temptation to join all mountain oriented skiers at times when I knew better.

And????

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Only time I've seen the base depth really matter is in gauging how much longer a resort can stay open in spring. You can see the base number erode as it melts and get a guesstimate for a date when it won't be worth skiing anymore. Early season when it's stuck at 20" tells you it is mostly manmade snow on a few open runs.

% terrain open and types of trails open are a better gauge for how a resort is skiing. But again, this is relative to the resort and somewhat relative to the year. To get a good idea, you really need to study the resort over several seasons to make sense of the numbers posted. Some resorts open stuff as soon as possible and post 'early conditions may exist' signs. Others wait until it really is skiable by their typical clientele (also variable per mountain). Vail in (my experience) seems to wait longer to open stuff that is skiable to some (not all). My guess is they do this because they want the guest experience on any run to be 'above average.' Vail also attracts a lot of intermediates, so they may be trying to protect that kind of skier. This season I went to Kirkwood for the first time, where they seemed to open anything and everything per the website, then not actually spin the lifts. And then when they did, no one actually skied the blacks (which were open) because the snow on them was so old, rocky, and wind affected.

Later in the season, any snow is 'great' because it tends to pile up unevenly due to wind and terrain. You can get pockets that are very deep even with only a few inches if you know where to look (terrain, wind, sun, etc really change how the snow piles up). More snow is obviously better, but it doesn't take much to make the surface go from decent to awesome on some runs.

Anyway, have fun on your trip @Goose . It sounds like there is a good variety there to ski. And just think, if they have great season next year, it's an easy sell to get the family to go back. If it's awesome this year, just imagine how great it would be in a high snow year.

Bogatyr

Chasing the snow
Skier

And ?...

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Things were looking bleak for my Wolf Creek trip skiing 2/10 - 2/12 for a while. Historical snow pack was at 35% of average, I was very down on it even up until the day or two before leaving.

The forecast picked up for Saturday 2/10, Joel had 2" - 5" day and 2" - 5" night. It turned out to be the short end of that stick. Skiing Saturday was bad, Sunday was decent.

Then out of nowhere Monday came. They had about 6" overnight sunday, and free refills all day with likely another 6". Was incredible.

Moral of the story, you just never know. We were very down on Southern Colorado and Ullr surprised us with one of my best ski days of all time.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
And so T is opening some more terrain now and expect to open rev Bowl this weekend. The very last snow and todays snow were/are nothing too substantial. Would have been nice to see higher surprise amounts but none the less have added a couple/few inches to the last bigger recent dump. Maybe today a few more inches will continue but remains to be seen.

As others mention in the thread, I suppose they are correct when they imply there are two types of resorts when it comes to terrain openings. Those that are indeed truly skiing well vs those that are at bare minimum and only open for sake of adding marketing acreage to their websites. Unless one is very familiar with a given resort is the only way to know just which approach to opening terrain that given resort takes. Of course would be nice if T follows a more honest approach by only opening areas when things are actually skiing well vs bare minimum. If that's the case then this opening of any new terrain is all great news.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Jeez.

First, it seems like you have unrealistic expectations about how much snowfall to expect in a given Colorado storm. We're continental, not maritime. We don't get feet of snow at a time.

Second, it's not inherently more or less honest to open runs when they're minimal. Some people prefer to have the option and explore. It's just part of the character of each mountain.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We are heading toTelluride March 17. Any terrain openings and snow are welcome whether I have to look out for rocks or not.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Jeez.

First, it seems like you have unrealistic expectations about how much snowfall to expect in a given Colorado storm. We're continental, not maritime. We don't get feet of snow at a time.

Second, it's not inherently more or less honest to open runs when they're minimal. Some people prefer to have the option and explore. It's just part of the character of each mountain.
nah, I realize that but Im just hoping every drop is of the 8/10 plus category and occasionally even the real big one is all. Its just wishful thinking (and also hoping) more than it is expectations.
Hey, no one expected the first half the season to amount to record lows so why not hope for the second half to amount to record highs?

As for runs being opened? I think there is some truth to what someone esle mentioned where as to the idea that some places may just want to claim open acres while others want whatever they open to only be open when they can offer a better experience for their guests. I think its fair to say some of that is more honest or perhaps better said less stretching of truths.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As for runs being opened? I think there is some truth to what someone esle mentioned where as to the idea that some places may just want to claim open acres while others want whatever they open to only be open when they can offer a better experience for their guests. I think its fair to say some of that is more honest or perhaps better said less stretching of truths.

Do not understand the "stretching of truths". I think some areas tend to open terrain with less coverage, but, if a run is open how are they stretching truth by claiming it is open?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Maybe. Wolf Creek is famous for opening runs with minimal coverage, and they're not exactly a tourist destination.

Perhaps my perspective is skewed. I mostly ski above treeline "terrain" or trees - in both situations, you can reasonably expect sharks throughout the season.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
how is this thread still going and its not about ski technique?

It could easily become a “see a bootfitter” or “wear a helmet” thread. What pole length do people use in Telluride?

And FWIW, Stevens Pass has received 290” so far this year, all natural snowfall, and we’re in the middle of a couple of storm cycles. So really, everyone planning a vacation and wanting the best guarantee of snow should come to the PNW.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sugarbush in VT is also aggressive with trail openings. I have snaked my way down many a run at Mad river Glen where it was more how can I find a line that will allow me to get down through the rocks and mud than how can I avoid a few rocks . A sign at the top denoting "thin cover" covers it.

Reactions: RJS

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do not understand the "stretching of truths". I think some areas tend to open terrain with less coverage, but, if a run is open how are they stretching truth by claiming it is open?
perhaps my words used are not technically correct.
More extreme terrain aside.... Ill try to explain my thoughts
its one thing to open runs that are one gauge above barely skiable and quite another to wait till the skiing is actually more worthy. Ive seen runs officially opened with bare spots , weeds, rock, whatever, borwn snow, etc... after one run no one heads back. Its open and it counts and can be skied on but its not good and not really worthy of being skied on and you probably wont make another run there. So that's the difference I speak of when I say stretching the truth. Incorrect terminology? perhaps but I think you can get the gist of what I mean

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Jeez.

I fondly recall skiing T after a three foot dump back in the 90s. Problem is- I had no idea at the time what to do with so much pow.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
perhaps my words used are not technically correct.
More extreme terrain aside.... Ill try to explain my thoughts
its one thing to open runs that are one gauge above barely skiable and quite another to wait till the skiing is actually more worthy. Ive seen runs officially opened with bare spots , weeds, rock, whatever, borwn snow, etc... after one run no one heads back. Its open and it counts and can be skied on but its not good and not really worthy of being skied on and you probably wont make another run there. So that's the difference I speak of when I say stretching the truth. Incorrect terminology? perhaps but I think you can get the gist of what I mean

Good explaining. Thanks. I understand your valid point of view but come at it from a different perspective. If I am at an area with limited terrain and they offer me the challenge you describe above I am going to ski it multiple times if only because there is a lack of other "interesting" terrain available.

We spent a week skiing 25 groomers and one 20 second bump run in Taos not long ago and, believe you me, if they had opened something natural and steep I would have been all over it despite rocks and sketchiness.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online