• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
OpenSnow pretty much shows 2"-6" each of the next 6 days. Hopefully it's less of the 2 and more of the 6.

In my experience, when it shows like that, it usually ends up being "either/or." That may be Breck specific. Not across all 6 days, but from one to the next.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now, how 98 inches for the season turns into a 45 inches mid-mountain base is beyond me. Telluride is probably fibbing a bit there.

In addition to the YTD/Base ratio being off and the Snotel site data, this just doesn't smell right to me:

View attachment 39570

With a 45 in base Telluride should have far more single diamond black runs open.

If you look at the other Colorado Ski Country resorts, most with 40+ inches of base have much more terrain open:
https://www.coloradoski.com/snow-report

So, Telluride has received 23" in the last 7 days and is reporting 121" for the season to date vs 98" last week.

They still have a 45" base, same as a week ago. :huh:

Didn't I mention something was awry last week? Where's the pat myself on the back smiley? ogsmile

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just spent the last few days in the San Juans and hit every ski area except Telluride. At Wolf Creek last Friday I ended up Tuesdays In The Snow deep in powder on Alberta. No consolidation so stopping was scary. I could stick my pole and arm all the way down as far as possible in the snow and not hit bottom. As long as it keeps snowing it will be decent skiing for the next few weeks up there. Everything went from zero to hero in the last week, get it while you can.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
So, Telluride has received 23" in the last 7 days and is reporting 121" for the season to date vs 98" last week.

They still have a 45" base, same as a week ago. :huh:

Didn't I mention something was awry last week? Where's the pat myself on the back smiley? ogsmile
yea, just look at the town cam. That is not a town that received nearly 2 feet of snow in 7 days with 9 if it being just yesterday. Nor is that adjacent mountainside one in which appears to have that amount of snow sitting on it. We all pretty much know resort reports need to be taken with the grains of salt they come with.

Imho I think if little snow comes next couple weeks there could be a re-closing of a chunk of what has only recently opened. We have to remember in all this positive over last couple weeks they are still at a snow base deficit on places entirely dependent on natural snow only. There is still that lack of base normally built via a normal early and mid season which never came this year and are about 80 or more inches short of normal. Its also why very many double blacks never opened. This is why although I am happy with the improvements and do not need double blacks and I am fairly confident I will be just fine but I also still have some amount of uncertainty. Imo if snow lacks next couple few weeks they probably would not only close down some stuff only recently opened but also have an earlier season end than they hoped for. All I want is that it at least has enough snows to maintain what they currently have and gained and just don't go backwards to what January was. Ill be very happy if this week produces more.

Last edited:
TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have you looked at the temps?
yea, its been very cold which preserves. Its also been windy so not sure if that's anything good or bad..lol
But too cold can be bad for new precip though I suppose it depends on pressures.
Not sure what your getting at by asking about temps though. What was your thoughts there?

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
All I want is that it at least has enough snows to maintain what they currently have and gained and just don't go backwards to what January was. Ill be very happy if this week produces more.
All you need now is 4-6 inches of snow in days just before you arrive -or while you are at Telluride.

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
There shouldn't be much if any melt so whatever is open this week will stay open. But then I went back and looked at your dates and saw March 10th. So I guess it's feasible that a huge warm up occurs the week before you get there. Let's hope not!

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The only way terrain will close is if it gets unseasonably warm.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
The only way terrain will close is if it gets unseasonably warm.
Telluride can get warm pretty easily. Nothing unseasonable about being warm.

But it takes a lot of warmth to affect the coverage. So that shouldn't be too much of a concern.

The bigger concern is surface condition. The sun is so strong down there. A couple days of above freezing temperature can turn the surface into coral reef.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Telluride can get warm pretty easily.

The bigger concern is surface condition. The sun is so strong down there. A couple days of above freezing temperature can turn the surface into coral reef.

:popcorn:Oh boy, you just extended the thread another 20 pages......

Goose, ignore this post...;) Think positive, you are going to have a great trip!.....Telluride is a beautiful place!.....and the skiing will be awesome!

Quote:
“A place where the beer flows like wine where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. A little place called Telluride”

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
:popcorn:Oh boy, you just extended the thread another 20 pages......

Goose, ignore this post...;) Think positive, you are going to have a great trip!.....Telluride is a beautiful place!.....and the skiing will be awesome!

Quote:
“A place where the beer flows like wine where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. A little place called Telluride”
hahaha, I hear ya.
Not to worry...being from the east a day on coral reef, or boiler plate, or quick sand, while on the slopes is better than a day at work.
at_nyc would know this too

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Goose I've been following this thread pretty closely, greatly enjoying both everything on-topic and all of the detours. You owe us a detailed trip report in a few weeks when you get back from Telluride ;)!

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Goose I've been following this thread pretty closely, greatly enjoying both everything on-topic and all of the detours. You owe us a detailed trip report in a few weeks when you get back from Telluride ;)!
haha...unless I end up at Big sky, or whistler or Banff, ..lol
I'll fill you all in when we find out whatever happened to that Canadian fireman who skied from whiteface to California.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yea, just look at the town cam. That is not a town that received nearly 2 feet of snow in 7 days with 9 if it being just yesterday. Nor is that adjacent mountainside one in which appears to have that amount of snow sitting on it. We all pretty much know resort reports need to be taken with the grains of salt they come with.
Actually, Telluride seems to have had a good amount of snow in the last week.

The town at 8700 feet is not a good indication. Telluride measures snow at 11,170ft per @TonyC on his website:
http://bestsnow.net/swconet.htm

The nearby Snotel site on Red Mountain Pass shows a really nice recent bump in the snowpack:

rmpc2.21-03-median.avg.2018.0.s.on.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.png
http://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/station/s...=RMPC2&tavg=s&hsim=&index=&dbsvr=&indextitle=

It's the 45-inch base last week where I think they were fibbing. Today they are still reporting a 45-inch base after a week of snowfall. I think the snow may have finally caught up to the report.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's the 45-inch base last week where I think they were fibbing. Today they are still reporting a 45-inch base after a week of snowfall. I think the snow may have finally caught up to the report.

Or they've been reporting the snowmaking base depth all along and they're still the same. ;)

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
hahaha, I hear ya.
Not to worry...being from the east a day on coral reef, or boiler plate, or quick sand, while on the slopes is better than a day at work.
at_nyc would know this too
It beat a day in the office. But you can have that without going all the way to Colorado.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
It beat a day in the office. But you can have that without going all the way to Colorado.
yea, I know. I can also see green, brown and yellow grasses on uncovered runs in the east too. Hence was my undesired thoughts when I began this thread in the first place

Sponsor

Staff online