• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I fondly recall skiing T after a three foot dump back in the 90s. Problem is- I had no idea at the time what to do with so much pow.

Exceptions prove the rule!

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Given the amount of terrain open by this weekend in comparison with when this thread was started, @Goose should be thrilled. And if he gets snow during his trip (which is always a crapshoot, regardless) it will be amazing.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Do not understand the "stretching of truths". I think some areas tend to open terrain with less coverage, but, if a run is open how are they stretching truth by claiming it is open?

The thing that troubles me, and not unique to Telluride, is the proviso that once a run is open it is considered "open for the season".

Jackson Hole and Telluride "* Once a trail is listed as open, it is considered to be open for the season."

Based on that, either place could claim the whole mountain is open even late in the season when it's no longer skiable. (Or even in the middle of the season if it has a lot of ice or there's melt).

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Given the amount of terrain open by this weekend in comparison with when this thread was started, @Goose should be thrilled. And if he gets snow during his trip (which is always a crapshoot, regardless) it will be amazing.
as mentioned recently I am indeed getting excited :) and a lot has improved.
That's not to say I still dont want to see the next 3 weeks go snowless. Lets not forget a lot of terrain only just opened so we at least need refreshers for that to maintain itself as open. An additional big storm somewhere in the next couple weeks ahead would be great too.
But yes Im getting all fuzzy inside about the upcoming trip. And the snow shelf gained a couple more inches since this afternoon...lol Its all goo stuff

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
The thing that troubles me, and not unique to Telluride, is the proviso that once a run is open it is considered "open for the season".

Jackson Hole and Telluride "* Once a trail is listed as open, it is considered to be open for the season."

Based on that, either place could claim the whole mountain is open even late in the season when it's no longer skiable. (Or even in the middle of the season if it has a lot of ice or there's melt).
Yea I hear ya with that. I don't really know what that mean either. What if it closes again?
But fwiw here is what T says on their website.

"*Once a trail is listed as open, it is considered open for the season. Daily variations in snow conditions and weather can cause temporary trail closures that are not reflected on this page. Some trail openings may be delayed while we take time to make sure the trail is safe for our guests."

And so with that I guess it doesn't mean much..lol
I can only think that all it means is at the first time they consider it safe for skiing/boarding that it will remain a possibility the rest of the season vs runs that never opened yet?
I know they don't count trails open when they didn't open them that day and I even see fluctuations in open daily trail count go up and down accordingly. So their open trail "count" seems to be up to date and by the day. and has even gone down at times. So just what does "open for the season mean" Im not sure.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
My understanding was that Jackson & Telluride don't do day-to-day recalculations of acreage/percent open... once it's open, it's "open for the season" and is reflected as open in the acreage reporting until the end of the season. Conditions- or events-based temporary closures might show up on the trail count, but not the acreage. But I'm not 100% sure.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
As far as open terrain is concerned, the only runs which still need to open that Goose would probably like are Apex and Milk Run. With all of the recent snow and the forecast for next weekend, things are looking VERY good for Telluride.

WC68

Booting up
Skier
TwoChordCool for sure...

I just looked at all the trails. Other than a few exceptions it looks like the only things not opened are hike to double black stuff, which personally is above my skill level/risk tolerance. Maybe that’s what you’re looking for Goose, I’m not sure.
Revelation opening this weekend. Maybe another foot of snow early next week.

I can tell you this, selfishly, I’d rather it not snow for the three weeks prior to my arrival and then get snow every day or a huge dump while I’m there.

I’m now getting nervous that this nice pattern we are in will flip by the end of March! Haha
But it’s actually been a nice surprise, as Joel’s forecast in early February was very very dire.

Oh yeah, also looks like they raised ticket prices another $2 with the new terrain opening...
Which brings up a question for Telluride experts. Are there any secret ways to get discounted lift passes? I’ve never been able to find anything, other than the small discount with multi day tickets, and my rental company offers a few dollars more discount.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier

As far as open terrain is concerned, the only runs which still need to open that Goose would probably like are Apex and Milk Run. With all of the recent snow and the forecast for next weekend, things are looking VERY good for Telluride.
Im thinking Rev Bowl which is suppose to open this weekend. Hope that holds up with enough to stay open when Im there.

They got another 9 now. Though I was checking the site and cams yesterday pretty regularly for general interest of course. It was a strange 9 because the snows on the shelf (at 11 thou ft) seemed more wet than fluffy (sort of east coast style) and while the town down at 8 thou semd to mix snow/rain. So very nice total last 24 hrs not soi sure how much of that blanketed most of the resort. But rev bowl sits high so thats great. But anyway was a heck of a nice dump than the 2 or 3 inches the day started out with and looked to be all there was going to be.

I get more excited every day now..lol

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
[QUOTE="Goose, post: 211051, member: 2138"

I get more excited every day now..lol[/QUOTE]

I'M getting excited FOR you! Brings back very fond, even technicolor memories of the many trips I took to T in the 90s and 00s. Unfortunately, commitments to family and other skiers and the passage of time has sort of put T off my radar the last several years. Have a great time!

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Which brings up a question for Telluride experts. Are there any secret ways to get discounted lift passes? I’ve never been able to find anything, other than the small discount with multi day tickets, and my rental company offers a few dollars more discount.

Historically they haven't generally made daily discounts available other than the discounted rate available to various lodging partners and the multi-day. They've sold T-Cards in the past, pre-season ski swaps in the Southwest... something like $30 upfront, and then you get $20 off per day (very approximately). And then the MCP the past couple seasons and Epic Pass starting next season provide good deals if the rest of the pass works for you.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's dumping now. Possible snow every day this week. I'd say any worry you had can now be put to rest.
certainly snow all week would likely put the idea to rest. Honestly the idea as of recent had dwindled a lot anyway but keeping the snow watch and update (for better/worse) is addicting.

Fwiw they didn't get dumped the way open snow suggested today by ths time. At least not yet. Just an inch last night and yet to accumulate since while suppose to be in the heaviest fall time currently. But its fun to see when/if the totals begin to pile. Very windy so that affects the snow shelf as any gauge but also makes for strange amounts due to drifts as some spots may lose snow to other spots. Hope I'll hear/see good things tomorrow morning when I check from work.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
So as I give the curious check before hitting the sack for the night I see this storm which was fairly hyped up has left little to brag about as the main drop is now past its expected timing. Only a couple inches is a bit disappointing vs the expectations this time. Now we hope the over night and rest of the week can bring what is anticipated. Id get a bit nervous the patterns change before T gets another significant dump or two. Lets just wait and see as always and prove me wring :).

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
Reporting a total of 9 now with maybe another inch or two today. A bit underwhelming for what was predicted but I'll definitely take it.

Joel reporting light snow for the rest of the week but NOAA reporting heavy snow on Thurs night in the 3-7 inch range.

Joel saying a weak to moderate system likely next week. I've been waiting with baited breath for next week's forecast as we leave for T on Saturday.

I'm sure the skiing will be great as is but some freshies will really be icing on the cake.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Reporting a total of 9 now with maybe another inch or two today. A bit underwhelming for what was predicted but I'll definitely take it.

Joel reporting light snow for the rest of the week but NOAA reporting heavy snow on Thurs night in the 3-7 inch range.

Joel saying a weak to moderate system likely next week. I've been waiting with baited breath for next week's forecast as we leave for T on Saturday.

I'm sure the skiing will be great as is but some freshies will really be icing on the cake.
that shelf never got to 2 yesterday and then cleared and then this morning is at 2.
So how 4 makes 9 I don't know..lol. But to be fair its windy and that affects the shelf I understand as it can easily blow off. But if we look at the town streets live cam there is nothing resembling a new 9 inches on the streets and sidewalks. So IDK just seems 9 is a big stretch.

Yea. Im not sure what to make of Joels forecast but even as informative as that is....changes like the wind. I hope there is another good dump this week before you get there. I also hope you don't get the heavier winds and icy cold temps. We want our cakes and we want to eat them too, don't we? ..lol

You know in all this decent stuff over February and how much improvement has taken place, its still somewhat weird to see a 120 inch total at this time in later part of feb for a place that averages near 300 a year. 2/3 the season over and totals yet to reach half. I know that doesn't mean so much because at this point its about what and when and not necessarily how much for the year anymore. But just strange is all.

I think you will have a lot of good skiing next week and especially if this week produces more it may even be very excellent conditions when you get there. Lets just not see a january dry spell repeat over the next few weeks.

Sponsor

Staff online