• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 Gathering UTAH March 3-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Given that places like Jackson are usually a bit more reliable for mid winter conditions in February than mid March, I am opting for a pre Gathering trip to Sun Valley, then over to Jackson, down to Aspen and then arrive at the Gathering via I-70 to southern Utah from Aspen.

Post Gathering, I might stop in at Castle and/or Sunshine Village and Lake Louise on the way home or I might wait until late April for SSV and LL.

What a difficult life you have; I feel empathy for your plight. ;)

dondenver

Putting on skis
Skier

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Trying not to get too excited about the extended forecast, because, well, it's an extended forecast. But I can only hope! When it's cold like it SHOULD be here at Snowbasin, and not like it's been the past few winters, the entire mountain skis like a dream. Otherwise, the lower 1/3 can be a real mixed bag of crap.
March cannot come soon enough, BTW. :D

Chriscray

Booting up
Skier
Good news in long term forecasts for the gathering.
http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/utah/ut-winter-weather-prediction-2018/
Across the state, expect to see colder than normal temperatures, especially in December. The months of January, March and April are also expected to be colder than normal.

Awesome. Colder doesn't necessarily mean more snow however. I do have my fingers crossed! It has been a really cool August for sure. This morning was 49. Last week we had 41 degrees at 6700 ft. Thats only 9 degrees from freezing. I could see that being in a higher elevation (like 9,500+) but 6700 ft?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Trying not to get too excited about the extended forecast, because, well, it's an extended forecast. But I can only hope! When it's cold like it SHOULD be here at Snowbasin, and not like it's been the past few winters, the entire mountain skis like a dream. Otherwise, the lower 1/3 can be a real mixed bag of crap.
March cannot come soon enough, BTW. :D

Crap is good. Variety is good. Just not too sure about the bag. :D
Anyway, I like crap. :yahoo::yahoo: Ready made excuse for my crappy skiing (pun intended).

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Crap is good. Variety is good. Just not too sure about the bag. :D
Anyway, I like crap. :yahoo::yahoo: Ready made excuse for my crappy skiing (pun intended).
Wait, you mean I have an excuse now?! Yessssss!!
Crap snow is relative, I know. I just know the snow quality on the bottom third of the mountain does not = the snow quality on the top 2/3rds. And the snow quality up on the top is usually pretty darn stellar.

As for colder not necessarily meaning snowier, the forecast is saying more precip, BUT even an average year here is not lacking in snow depth. I'll take an average year with colder temps right about now. :golfclap:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If Deer Valley (and Solitude) join the Mountain Collective pass...there could be some adjustments to the days.
It does not look like DV or Solitude will be on the MCP, so, as you were.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Anyone interested in splitting a room at the Peruvian?

Last edited:

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Not sure if Mr. @albertanskigirl is going to make it - any ladies looking to split a room at the Peruvian? I will most likely come towards the end of the week, the 6th or so, ski Alta/Snowbird and then go to Snowbasin for a day or two. Let me know if anyone is interested!

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thinking about hopping out to UT to ski with y'all for a bit. Decided not to go to Kitzbuhel that week with my ski club.
Not yet ready to add to the roll call thread.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Anyone interested in splitting a room at the Peruvian?

Not sure if Mr. @albertanskigirl is going to make it - any ladies looking to split a room at the Peruvian? I will most likely come towards the end of the week, the 6th or so, ski Alta/Snowbird and then go to Snowbasin for a day or two. Let me know if anyone is interested!

We do have a Lodging Thread for the Utah Gathering......It might help to post there also. Good Luck !

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It shows what you can accomplish when you free yourself from Epic shackles.

cmackvt

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm looking forward to attending my first Gathering! Booked rooms in South Ogden and GMD, and bought Mountain Collective Pass so I'm committed (probably should be). Next decision is to drive from Vermont and hit Aspen and Telluride on the way or fly to SLC and head to Idaho or Wyoming the following weekend with my son who just moved to SLC. Either way I'm psyched.

Chet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online