• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 Gathering UTAH March 3-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
I’m wondering if the very concept of a single Gathermeister is no longer relevant - a legacy from Epic. There is a lot of teamwork. I think it’s evolving into a Gathermeister Collective.

And if you try to resist being pulled in to active engagement, resistance is futile.

A big chunck of the problem is that all my work from past events vanished when Epic Closed. It would have been a lot easier to bring up the old information pages from past events held in Utah....change a few dates and a few other tweeks and the info could have been posted right up....No problem. Not any more. That stuff is gone.

Also Phil is trying to schedule a ton of fun (and useful) events. As those involved outside of Pugski commit to doing something it affects our schedule (and that also means guess who gets to type it up again) and we have to run with the dates THEY give us or scrap the event.

Here is my suggestion (a little more than a little ahead of time). At the end of this thing (as in before we leave Utah) the Pugski Gathering Team needs to sit down and PLAN the 2019 event so everyone can reflect on what worked in Utah and make it better, see what didn't work and fix it or trash it, and mostly listen to you guys (attendees) and your suggestions for the future as well as a few things that have been discussed behind the scenes.

The work load on this is far and above anything that has happened in the past.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A big chunck of the problem is that all my work from past events vanished when Epic Closed. It would have been a lot easier to bring up the old information pages from past events held in Utah....change a few dates and a few other tweeks and the info could have been posted right up....No problem. Not any more. That stuff is gone.

Also Phil is trying to schedule a ton of fun (and useful) events. As those involved outside of Pugski commit to doing something it affects our schedule (and that also means guess who gets to type it up again) and we have to run with the dates THEY give us or scrap the event.

Here is my suggestion (a little more than a little ahead of time). At the end of this thing (as in before we leave Utah) the Pugski Gathering Team needs to sit down and PLAN the 2019 event so everyone can reflect on what worked in Utah and make it better, see what didn't work and fix it or trash it, and mostly listen to you guys (attendees) and your suggestions for the future as well as a few things that have been discussed behind the scenes.

The work load on this is far and above anything that has happened in the past.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the work that the team is doing. I've done this on a much, much smaller scale and I know that it can be a lot of work even at that level. Out of curiosity, the high work level for this year's Gathering, is it due to the larger number of expected attendees, the fact that it's across three resorts, both?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A big chunck of the problem is that all my work from past events vanished when Epic Closed. It would have been a lot easier to bring up the old information pages from past events held in Utah....change a few dates and a few other tweeks and the info could have been posted right up....No problem. Not any more. That stuff is gone..

It can be slow and awkward to find, but some of that might be here: https://web.archive.org/web/2016121.../f/17/getting-together-gatherings-and-lets-go

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OK, we are getting closer to the event. We are past the planning stages and all the dest is settling. @Uncle Louie has started a new thread, so we will take all of the discussion to the "Official 2018 Gathering..." thread. See you over there.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the work that the team is doing. I've done this on a much, much smaller scale and I know that it can be a lot of work even at that level. Out of curiosity, the high work level for this year's Gathering, is it due to the larger number of expected attendees, the fact that it's across three resorts, both?

First ...........thank you !

Answering your question it's all of the above plus, in past Gatherings 2/3rds were returning attendees. Right now it looks like 2/3rds are new attendees. I found myself being more critical about posting about the meeting spots / times etc etc. I can't tell how many have never been to these areas and it's tough to keep things short and concise and still get enough of the message accross. I'd love to see people just be able to print a copy of the scheudule and take a few pages with them rather than a whole book.

We can only guess at people's abilities (for grouping purposes) from the roll call list and their posts. We also have more folks attending from the beginner through advanced intermediate levels. That requires more planning behind the scenes.

Events that Phil is working on is the type of stuff that in the past somebody just randomly did with little or no notice. Now it requires contact with industry professionals to put together an event (like the DPS demo day) and all of that stuff takes time and planning.

At the same time there is already discussion about 2019 and how to make bigger.......uh......easier !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online