• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 Gathering UTAH March 3-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I forgot you are an "insider" there also!
I hit it on a semi-powder day last year, with a lot of off-piste covered in barely skied-out goodness, and had a blast! It's not big-mountain skiing by any stretch, but it's a really fun mom and pop kind of place.

The beav is awesome like that. If you catch a good snow day its a very fun place to ski or ride and the goods never really run out.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
While I know this may not help most people coming to the UT Gathering (unless you are coming a few days early and from the West), Alaska Airlines is offering free tickets to Snowbasin. You have to fly Mon-Wed and tickets are valid Tue-Thu and you have to fly "via Boise, Los Angeles, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, and Seattle."

From https://www.snowbasin.com/about/partners/alaska-airlines-ski-free/

"Fly Alaska Airlines to Salt Lake City International airport on any of the direct flights from seven different cities between Monday and Wednesday and register at SkiOgden.com for your free lift ticket to Snowbasin Resort."

"Visit www.visitogden.com/ski-ogden/snowbasin-ski-free-promotion to register for the ski free promotion after booking your Alaska Airlines flight. Must present your boarding pass, Visit Ogden confirmation email and photo ID at Snowbasin Resort within 24 hours of arrival for a free single day lift ticket. Valid 12/4/17-12/15/17, 1/2/18- 4/8/18. Must fly Monday - Wednesday and redeem ticket for same day use on Tuesday - Thursday, day following flight."

The "redeem ticket for same day use on Tuesday - Thursday, day following flight" is confusing as it seems like it should say next day and what about if you can arrive early enough to ski Snowbasin the day you arrive as I did when Park City had a similar deal with any airline.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is there a plan for which mountains will be skied which days? Reason I ask is that we have not scheduled a March trip yet, but Snowbasin and Snowbird are not doable for me at this time. If Alta would be towards to the end of the trip I might be able to talk @Mrs. 53 into it, but I can only get there about the 6th or 7th due to work

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is there a plan for which mountains will be skied which days? Reason I ask is that we have not scheduled a March trip yet, but Snowbasin and Snowbird are not doable for me at this time. If Alta would be towards to the end of the trip I might be able to talk @Mrs. 53 into it, but I can only get there about the 6th or 7th due to work
The team is getting everything nailed down.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It sounds like people are booking lodging based on being in LCC towards the end of the gathering.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier

It sounds like people are booking lodging based on being in LCC towards the end of the gathering.

I am going to try to get the schedule and all supporting information posted early tomorrow morning.

Snowbasin are Sunday and Monday (3/4 & 3/5) Then a combination of Alta and Snowbird.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I’ll be in Eden Sat- Mon, then likely staying with family near Sugar House. Close enough to have an easy drive to LCC and BCC and crash any après parties in Midvale, though I’d be happy to just go to Red Iguana just about every evening.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ll be in Eden Sat- Mon, then likely staying with family near Sugar House. Close enough to have an easy drive to LCC and BCC and crash any après parties in Midvale, though I’d be happy to just go to Red Iguana just about every evening.

That could work well for @Mrs. 53 and I. We would potentially get there on the Wednesday and stay for a week, likely heading to DV when the gathering is over. I would think we would, well certainly I would stick to the calmer terrain at Alta

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you'd be fine at Snowbasin. I'd show you the way, I promise.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am in South Africa until the night of March 4th and travel home via Doha, Qatar most likely.

We would not get to Utah until Wednesday the 7th at the earliest.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am in South Africa until the night of March 4th and travel home via Doha, Qatar most likely.

We would not get to Utah until Wednesday the 7th at the earliest.
SHe can come out ahead of you, you can meet here there. We will take good care of her...trust us. :ogcool:

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Uhmmmm..... how'd you get sucked into planning this thing?

It's kinda like when something is drifting in the ocean and the tide goes out.......and it runs into other stuff floating around in the ocean. It just happens.

If I buy you a beer in Utah maybe you can clinic me in how I can go "back to being an ordinary Gatheree". The only one of these things I 'just skied at' was the one Josh ran back in the early 2000's sometime.

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Appreciate the work that goes into this (been there, done that -- on a far smaller scale) :hail:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m wondering if the very concept of a single Gathermeister is no longer relevant - a legacy from Epic. There is a lot of teamwork. I think it’s evolving into a Gathermeister Collective.

And if you try to resist being pulled in to active engagement, resistance is futile.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m wondering if the very concept of a single Gathermeister is no longer relevant - a legacy from Epic. There is a lot of teamwork. I think it’s evolving into a Gathermeister Collective.
You are absolutely right. Did you notice that we have "Team Gathermeister" badge? @Uncle Louie @dbostedo @KingGrump @Jim Kenney @jgiddyup and @JohnL all being involved. This crew has dozens of Gatherings under their belts and will be able to share the tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid