• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 Gathering UTAH March 3-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is what I have tentatively set...
Day 0 (Saturday): Travel Day
Day 1 (Sunday): Snowbasin
Day 2 (Monday): Snowbasin
Day 3 (Tuesday): Snowbird
Day 4 (Wednesday): Snowbird
Day 5 (Thursday): Atla
Day 6 (Friday): Alta
Day 7: (Saturday): Alternate Day--Snowbird

Days 3&4 and 5&6 might get swapped, game day but 1&2 at Snowbasin are pretty well set in case someone wants to get lodging in Ogden area.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for posting the tentative update. I'm only going to be able to make the Alta and Snowbird dates so now that we know when Snowbasin is happening I can plan the other days accordingly. I'm going to stay at GMD again so it really doesn't matter to me whether the Alta and Snowbird dates swap.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the schedule.
I finally bought MCP's for myself and Shamora. We selected Snowbasin for our bonus days. We will stay in Eden for a few days, then likely stay with family in the Sugar House neighborhood.

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
Not sure if everyone is aware of this but there is a way to save money on MCP's if you qualify. MCP's are now $449, so if you are buying one to only attend the gathering, there may be a better option - especially if you are a senior skier.

At most MCP resorts if you buy their premium or top-of-the-line pass, they include, as a perk, unlimited 50% discount lift tickets at any other MCP resort. So if you have a full season pass at say Sugarbush and come out just for the gathering and only ski Alta/Snowbird for 4 days at an average price of $130/day, at 50% off, that's only going to cost you $260 or $390 for all 6 days out of pocket. Further more, for us old geezers, the 50% off applies to daily prices for your age group. So if senior day tickets are only $90, then you save an additional $80 or $120; or perhaps much more as Snowbasin senior tickets were $49 for me two years ago.

Of course, if you are going to use the MCP's at other resorts then this probably doesn't make sense; but for Eastern skiers who do not have another MCP resort close by it may make sense.

I have not check this out for any resort except for Squaw, so the above is just an example but most defiantly worth checking out before putting out $449+ (the price will go up).

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I have not check this out for any resort except for Squaw, so the above is just an example but most defiantly worth checking out before putting out $449+ (the price will go up).

I have to say, this is probably the best malapropism ever.

Good information, BTW.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'm trying hard to find a way. Cue convincing the spouse that driving to the hill every day ain't that bad! :D Flights are cheap right now..

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
50 people on the roll call. Awesome! What's the biggest a gathering has ever been?

We don't take attendance, so it is hard to be sure. There are always some who drop out but don't take themselves off the list, and maybe some that show up without advance notice. The other ways to estimate are to guesstimate from looking around morning meetup (how many groups, how may per group?) or from the vote for the next year.

For Aspen we had 70 on the roll call. I counted the people at the vote -- if I remember correctly there were 38. After we got home, we mentally counted people we skied with that were not at the vote. I don't remember the exact number we came up with, but I think it was in the 50 to 60 range.

The vote at Whistler was a landslide for Utah, so we did not count votes. I don't remember how many were on the roll call.

My general impression was that the Aspen and Whistler Gatherings were of similar size. If I had to choose between them, I would guess Whistler was slightly larger.

Here's the list of Gatherings and Gathermeisters

2017 Whistler Blackcomb (Mar 5-11); Lady Salina
2016: Aspen (Feb 3-9) Ajax/Highlands/Snowmass; mdf
2015: Jackson Hole (Feb 26-Mar6) Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee; Uncle Louie
2014: Split: Utah (Feb 2-7), Mammoth/Squaw/AlpineMeadows (Mar 24-28); jgiddyup and Philpug
2013: Montanna (March 25-29, Bridger/Big Sky/Moonlight); Nolo
2012: Tahoe (Feb 26-Mar 3) AlpineMeadows/MtRose/Northstar/Squaw/Heavenly/Kirkwood; Philpug
2011: Colorado (April 3-9, Vail/Breck/A-Basin); Uncle Louie
2010: Utah LCC(Jan 31-Feb 4, Solitude/Snowbird/Alta) ; Uncle Louie
2009: Jackson Hole (Feb 7-11) Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee; Uncle Louie
2008: Utah LCC+ (Feb 1-4) Alta/Solitude/Snowbird/Snowbasin; Bushwhacker (=Josh Matta)
2007: Tahoe (Mar 24-26) Squaw/AlpineMeadows/Kirkwood; MTT
2006: Utah Park City (Feb 4-7) Park City/Canyons/Deer Valley (? - record not clear); Spindrift?
2005: Kicking Horse (Mar 3-6) very poorly attended; ?
2004: Jackson Hole (Jan 30-Feb 2) Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee; ?
2003: Utah LCC (Jan 30-Feb 3) Alta/Snowbird; ?
2002: Fernie (I think); ?
2001: Tahoe (I think); ?

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the detailed reply. I figured there wasn't a known number but was just curious at the ballpark.

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
I bought the MCP a few weeks back and tentatively penciled in the dates for March. Whether I'll be able to make it then probably won't be clear until 2018.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
TheArchitect said:
50 people on the roll call. Awesome! What's the biggest a gathering has ever been?

Following up on this question.

All the major events (The Gathering and Let's Go Colorado 3 & 4) have run pretty consistently at 55 people per event for the past 10 years or so. Looking at the roll call a minute ago about 1/3 rd of those on the list have been to 5 or more Gatherings, with many members going back 10 - 12 years. In the last couple of years there has been an influx of new participants. There are also a few that I suspect will show in Utah despite their names not ever showing up on the roll call. Typically, Gathering information and the roll call threads were not posted until around the Labor Day weekend, so many have no idea this started so early and haven't looked for it (at Epic).

Assuming people can "find us" when they log in this fall (only to find they can't log into Epic) I would expect this Gathering to easily clear the 60 participant mark.

Last edited:

dondenver

Putting on skis
Skier
QFT:
...There are also a few that I suspect will show in Utah despite their names not ever showing up on the roll call...

In fact, I must look hard to notice the missing from this list as my "minds-eye" has their names on it plain as day - historical evidence hard wiring it so. That aside, for Betsy and me, and perhaps some others on this list, signing up early locks on our calendar as a sacrosanct event - which of course it is. Now we can look forward to another great skiing adventure with a big group of friends. Pretty cool that as I'm particularly predicting each subsequent day in LCC to be (as @dean_spirito puts it) #BestDayEver

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
QFT:

In fact, I must look hard to notice the missing from this list as my "minds-eye" has their names on it plain as day - historical evidence hard wiring it so. That aside, for Betsy and me, and perhaps some others on this list, signing up early locks on our calendar as a sacrosanct event - which of course it is. Now we can look forward to another great skiing adventure with a big group of friends. Pretty cool that as I'm particularly predicting each subsequent day in LCC to be (as @dean_spirito puts it) #BestDayEver
Did you get your Mountain Collective Pass?
The price just went up to $449, but still a deal for tickets to all of the resorts we're visiting for the Gathering.
:bestday:

dondenver

Putting on skis
Skier
Did you get your Mountain Collective Pass?
The price just went up to $449, but still a deal for tickets to all of the resorts we're visiting for the Gathering.
:bestday:
Oh yes Tricia - B and I picked it up early on. Missed telling you so at MothersDay; work, work, work and a book editing cycle kept us from AB :(

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online