• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What? No muscle car talk? Whaaat?

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
24K miles and 2 million miles worth of rust? Hahaha. A good friend on college had one of those and it ran for probably two months of the two years he tried to use it... and not in a row hahaha. Least reliable car ever. On the bright side, he never had to drive to concerts and stuff we all did as a group because nobody wanted to be stuck all broken down waiting on Triple A or someone else to come pick us up..

'76 B210 was my first car in 1980. Bought it with 59k miles and drove it skiing every weekend and back and forth to Buffalo form LI for college. Tried to hit 100mph numerous times, but never quite made it. My friends all had Mustangs, Camaros, Tans Ams and there were a few Supras. I was the only one with an economical POS. My first 2 new cars were Scirrocos in '84 and 87, but I wouldn't really call them muscle cars.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
'76 B210 was my first car in 1980. Bought it with 59k miles and drove it skiing every weekend and back and forth to Buffalo form LI for college. Tried to hit 100mph numerous times, but never quite made it. My friends all had Mustangs, Camaros, Tans Ams and there were a few Supras. I was the only one with an economical POS. My first 2 new cars were Scirrocos in '84 and 87, but I wouldn't really call them muscle cars.

Group house living: '79 Mustang Ghia starter goes out on a booze trip - B210 to the rescue! Mustang carb vapour locks on beach trip - B210 to the rescue! Olds head gasket blows - B210 to the rescue! Olds thermostat housing cracks at the weld - B210 to the rescue!

It may not have had an intact floor, but that thing saved more dates...he wound up replacing it with a Daytona Z ; then a 200SX but those cars made almost zero memories.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Group house living: '79 Mustang Ghia starter goes out on a booze trip - B210 to the rescue! Mustang carb vapour locks on beach trip - B210 to the rescue! Olds head gasket blows - B210 to the rescue! Olds thermostat housing cracks at the weld - B210 to the rescue!

It may not have had an intact floor, but that thing saved more dates...he wound up replacing it with a Daytona Z ; then a 200SX but those cars made almost zero memories.

The only time my B210 "died" was in the driveway with a dead alternator. Rode my trusty Raleigh Grand Prix to the parts store and bought a remanufactured one for about $65. Sold the Datsun a few years later when it started drinking oil. My last trip home from Buffalo I had a case of Castrol in the hatch and added a quart about every 50 miles.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Mopeds are very reliable and fun to ride, but not everybody prefers to be seen on one..

Some folks would rather push a cool looking car than ride in a practical one!

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
The Tesla goes 0-60 TWICE as fast as the fasted car of the 70's..think about that...There are SUV's, Sedans and wagons that smoke the fastest cars of that generation.
This prompted me to browse those Car and Driver articles by the decade. The only production car faster to 0-60 than my Tesla S90D before 1990 was the Porsche 959.

The 1990's were the decade when several cars broke the 4 second mark.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
About 1/2 a mile from where I went to high school we had a long straight stretch of road with a 1/4 mile marked off. On occasion, word would be put out and we would gather to watch the non-sanctioned, non-legal street race(s). Saw a few interesting cars, Road Runners with 440 six-packs, etc. One guy had a super charger on top of a 426 hemi if I recall correctly. I can't remember what he had it stuffed into, but it didn't stay on the road too long. There was talk about it being illegal because the blower blocked his view of the road, and IIRC he did some unplanned off-roading with it. Told the cops he swerved to miss a deer. I think he was just driving too fast for conditions (which were clear sunny and dry pavement :D).... Good times!:toast

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Those Grand Nationals reminded me of the 70s Hurst Olds.. Similar look, somewhat of a sleeper, stealth rocket.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Those Grand Nationals reminded me of the 70s Hurst Olds.. Similar look, somewhat of a sleeper, stealth rocket.

I saw them at the drag strip when I was racing way back when. They were awesome..slicks..they'd hit the bleach box and you can't hear anything..engine don't make noise because of the turbo..slicks don't make noise because there's no tread to squeal..so you'd just see them spinning them up and you'd hear this tearing noise..pretty cool!

Oh yeah, then they'd run a 12.5... :D

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
We did a bunch of street racing back in the 70's on a 4 lane divided hwy and we'd block the shoulders, figured safety first
Had a fast barely street-able car, 4 mpg and killer 8-track with 6x9's and 6k in mods on a car that was worth 1,800.00
Still miss that all that :yeah:

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
Having a problem with what do with your money you got from VW for buying one of their diesel vehicles? Maybe a, hmmmm, resto-rat-modded(?) 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 with gobs of torque will fit the bill? How about if all that torque came from a diesel? Style, power, and you can feel a little better about the pollution you put into the air with your old VW.

For sale now in Mobile, AL. https://mobile.craigslist.org/cto/6122734798.html

Someone from California needs to buy this. Register it in Montana and run it Sonoma. :P

Walkaround at a gas station, shamelessness start around 3:00

Sponsor

Staff online