• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What? No muscle car talk? Whaaat?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The best part is that Nissan has AWD, weighs 4000lbs AND has 87hp!!! :D
Actually it weighed a svelt 2600lb. 0-60 in a turtle like 15.2 seconds...or a hair over one quarter of a minute!!!!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'll consider anything with 2 doors cool, maybe add a hatchback depending on the rest of the package. Vette with a hatch back is definitely cool. Only a couple Hondas and Toyotas with 2 doors are cool.

As for a 4 door Charger Hellcat, reminds me of back in the early 90s a friend was telling me anyone could order a Ford Tarus with all of the Highway Patrol engine and suspension mods direct from Ford and it was pretty bad assed. Ya, but not "cool". Give me a Challenger instead!

Only "cool" 4 door vehicle is this one..

Bluesmobile_at_House_of_Blues_Dallas_-_3-4_view.jpg
Cop motor, cop tires, cop suspension. It is a model made before catalytic conververtors so it runs well on regular gas. Is it the new Blues Mobile or what?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Cop motor, cop tires, cop suspension. It is a model made before catalytic conververtors so it runs well on regular gas. Is it the new Blues Mobile or what?
"HIT IT!"

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not a true muscle car but my son traded his cheater diesel Jetta for a 66 Mustang convertible. Fun ride in a solid American car. Cars like that were why American cars ruled back then.

By today's standard it's pretty horrible to go places in - especially compared to the Jetta. But for cruising around, it's magic.

Eric

Plus he's getting valuable experience mechanicing.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
How about this AWD beauty with 76hp!!!!

$%28KGrHqR,%21o4FB+mhG8wZBQmqtzFLkw~~60_3.JPG

that an 84-87 my dad had one, I really want a 88-91 Wagovan 4wd 6 speed they are quite expensive for a nice one though.... With a CRV transmission a B series engine 300 hp is possible. This one is the stock motor with turbo, that the guy made to look like a giant RC car.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Takes a lotta work to get one of the "Bandit" Trans Ams to be anything other than a cruiser.

Not that there's anything wrong with that I like em

The first Trans Ams were super bad azzz
Dazed and confused Clint s ride, white with blue stripes. There's one in my vicinity/ guy was waxing it up just now as I drove home from dump. Gonna uncover the pony now and take her for a well deserved spin!

Re Avanti growing up my neighbor across the street was a car nut. He had a red Avanti, but my favorite v he owned was a 63 white Golden Commando. I still dream about that one,...super early Mopar muscle. 413. Yummm
My brother had a rally sport camaro back in the day. His was heavily modified. He got 5 mpg.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
.... I'd rather drive a slow car fast, than s fast car slow. The Miata is fun at 9/10th and I can still be somewhat responsible on the road. I tis a fun canyn carver for sure.

A lot of truth in that Phil! I find myself pushing my truck faster than I do my wife's Macan Turbo!. The Macan is just so capable you have to be doing insane stuff to really be working it whereas in the truck you need to focus a bit more when pushing on up the mountain. Of course even the truck has 375hp and a sub 7 sec to 60....:) Will blow away most pre 2000 muscle cars....:rolleyes:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Not a true muscle car but my son traded his cheater diesel Jetta for a 66 Mustang convertible. Fun ride in a solid American car. Cars like that were why American cars ruled back then.

By today's standard it's pretty horrible to go places in - especially compared to the Jetta. But for cruising around, it's magic.

Eric

Plus he's getting valuable experience mechanicing.

Actually, American cars ruled in the 50s and 60s because most of the other steel production and durable goods factories were bombed all to hell in WWII leaving America with a fantastic monopoly when it came to steel and stuff made of steel. Germany and Japan got back up to speed in the 70s and have been kicking the crap out of us ever since then...

I'd take a nice 240/260/280 Z while we're talking little matchbox hot rods

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'd take a nice 240/260/280 Z while we're talking little matchbox hot rods

Ya, they are tempting me as well right now. One of the cars I have always wanted to own. They are now becoming collectible and prices are starting to rise which is not good news for us folks looking to own one.

Since the thread is drifting a bit, to include all cars. Which cars make your favorite sound? So many, but one of my favorite is this 1971 Skyline GT-R "Hakosuku". Especially around the 1:30 mark.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I Loved my Buick Grand National (When I lived in Fl) sadly sold it when I moved back to NY and back to subaru's
had a lot of fun cruising 1-95 but that rear wheel drive didn't cut in Adirondack winters..and yes I beat a lot of cars at the 'green' light..

1987-Buick-Grand-National-1428-19.jpg

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'd rather drive a slow car fast, than s fast car slow.

The Tesla goes 0-60 TWICE as fast as the fasted car of the 70's..think about that...THere are SUV's, Sedans and wagons that smoke the fastest cars of that generation.

It's about the feeling you get and some nostalgia. A lot of folks just like the rawness and simplicity and that goes for any car from that time period. The uncluttered, simple layouts are a joy to get behind. After doing my tour of duty with rice grinders (and RSX-S, then a 99 4 door civic), I loved the mechanical, raw feel of my Mustang when I picked it up at the shipyard. It would get its ass handed to it from the V-6 version today, but today's version wouldn't be as enjoyable/visceral for me.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's about the feeling you get and some nostalgia. A lot of folks just like the rawness and simplicity and that goes for any car from that time period. The uncluttered, simple layouts are a joy to get behind. After doing my tour of duty with rice grinders (and RSX-S, then a 99 4 door civic), I loved the mechanical, raw feel of my Mustang when I picked it up at the shipyard. It would get its ass handed to it from the V-6 version today, but today's version wouldn't be as enjoyable/visceral for me.
You are absolutely correct. Just as I say with skis, the same can be said with cars, don't get hung up on the numbers. Yes my 90 Miata goes 0-60 in maybe 9 sec. but it has such a raw feel. I recall in the early years comparing the NA Miata to the NB, the NA was a girl with a playful curiosity about sex as the NB, she grew into a woman with an insationable appitite for it.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Here's an interesting side-line to this. One of our "local" tracks was in trouble because of noise. Long story, the owner never applied for a permit to run a road course. Anyway, when I was talking to folks about this many said they would rather not race than have to race with stock exhausts on their bikes. I watch Formula E from time to time..and I see mfg's are interested...but we'll see if fans are interested..

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Scott, I been on m/c for my whole life and I HATE loud bikes! While I agree that except for 'stock' classes, the factory exhausts do make a lot of compromises in performance. BUT, you can gain efficiency without getting stupid loud too...Many idiots throw on an open pipe without understanding how to actually jet or remap the system to get an actual performance gain. Often the bike is just LOUD and slower... :doh:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Tesla goes 0-60 TWICE as fast as the fasted car of the 70's..think about that...THere are SUV's, Sedans and wagons that smoke the fastest cars of that generation.

That is true, but for their time, they were shitz.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Please, no electric speak in this thread.
This is about 'suck-squeeze-bang-blow' type fun... :nono: