• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What? No muscle car talk? Whaaat?

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
let' s talk dinosaurs!

American Muscle.

Mustangs, vettes, camaros, GTO mopar!!

Pony cars! Shelbys!

It's summertime almost.

My GT been out w top down five days already making a lotta noise stirring up the neighborhood.

No Pugskiers drive real cars?

TS
hrstrat57

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
Went to NH this weekend.

Took the Subaru

GT afraid of mud.....

btw I've had 2 RX7's, Celica, Audi, BMW, Scirocco and a whole gaggle of subies....6 I think?

So I'm not a hater.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
My muscle car aspirations are slowly coming around again. I've been looking for a late 70's 4sp Camaro..that doesn't have T-tops and isn't burgundy or brown...

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Even in the 70's I wasn't a 'muscle car' guy. I grew up with Triumphs through college and then on to Subie's, VW GTI's, Miata's and BMW's.
It was probably seeing all the first hand problems American cars from the 60's and 70's had. My dad and friends always had something wrong to attend to. I'm sorry but those things were built like crap... it's a pure nostalgia trip and don't forget the rose colored glasses. It wasn't till the 90's and beyond they started to figure it out.

TS
hrstrat57

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
2003 Mustang GT oil gas that's it. A recent vintage piece of magic. Pretty much bombproof. No electronic Bluetooth or GPS junk but modern ignition system and super reliable. The crossroads sweetspot between both worlds. Took decades for muscle to recover from the post 1973 emissions mess.

My 67 383 Dodge Coronet? Was under the hood all the time. The older cars are stupidly unsafe as well. However I find a nice 67 R/T like the one featured on Velocity Graveyard Carz I'm all in - got a family member in AZ desert keeping eyes open.

Modern American muscle talk welcome too, Cobra kit cars it's all good.

TS
hrstrat57

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
As I was sitting in my pickup typing the above a mint black 69 z28 just rolled by

Yum

That's the one u want scott / as I'm typing this I can hear the roar heading down route 2....

Gotta get home and uncover the pony!

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Even in the 70's I wasn't a 'muscle car' guy. I grew up with Triumphs through college and then on to Subie's, VW GTI's, Miata's and BMW's.
It was probably seeing all the first hand problems American cars from the 60's and 70's had. My dad and friends always had something wrong to attend to. I'm sorry but those things were built like crap... it's a pure nostalgia trip and don't forget the rose colored glasses. It wasn't till the 90's and beyond they started to figure it out.

The only US "muscle" thing from that era I might still have a thing for is the Avanti

TS
hrstrat57

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
I actually don't mind the earlier Trans-Ams..problem is the Pontiac engine is junk. I prefer the small-block.

Takes a lotta work to get one of the "Bandit" Trans Ams to be anything other than a cruiser.

Not that there's anything wrong with that I like em

The first Trans Ams were super bad azzz
Dazed and confused Clint s ride, white with blue stripes. There's one in my vicinity/ guy was waxing it up just now as I drove home from dump. Gonna uncover the pony now and take her for a well deserved spin!

Re Avanti growing up my neighbor across the street was a car nut. He had a red Avanti, but my favorite v he owned was a 63 white Golden Commando. I still dream about that one,...super early Mopar muscle. 413. Yummm

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As I was sitting in my pickup typing the above a mint black 69 z28 just rolled by

Yum

That's the one u want scott / as I'm typing this I can hear the roar heading down route 2....

Gotta get home and uncover the pony!

I had a 69 Z28. Fun to drive, but...

Best ever highway mileage was 15 mpq, usually about 13, don't talk about city mileage.

Short drives, especially in cold weather, would load up the plugs resulting in poor performance and even worse gas mileage. If it got bad enough, only real solution was new plugs.

3,000 rpm at 60 mph got old. Badly needed a 5th gear, but a 3.08 rear end with a wide ratio 4 speed might have been a better compromise than the 3.73 with a close ratio that I had.

The 2002 Corvette in my avatar, which I am current driving on a ski trip to Mt. Bachelor, is a lot faster, gets twice the gas mileage, and is no problem to keep running right (some of the electronics are a different story.)

TS
hrstrat57

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
I had a 69 Z28. Fun to drive, but...

Best ever highway mileage was 15 mpq, usually about 13, don't talk about city mileage.

Short drives, especially in cold weather, would load up the plugs resulting in poor performance and even worse gas mileage. If it got bad enough, only real solution was new plugs.

3,000 rpm at 60 mph got old. Badly needed a 5th gear, but a 3.08 rear end with a wide ratio 4 speed might have been a better compromise than the 3.73 with a close ratio that I had.

The 2002 Corvette in my avatar, which I am current driving on a ski trip to Mt. Bachelor, is a lot faster, gets twice the gas mileage, and is no problem to keep running right (some of the electronics are a different story.)

Almost bought a red 98 Vette convertible couple years ago - automatic unfortunately which ended up deal breaker.

Had 1300 miles on it guy owed huge tax $$$ forcing sale. Been a stick I'd have owned it. Cause it was an auto I low balled him and he got mad at me.

2002 Vette is creme de la creme imo

You aren't driving cross country in a 69 z28.

Last edited:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dean is the legendary demon hunter in 'Supernatural' . He drives a 67 Impala Coupe. With a trunk full of guns.

TS
hrstrat57

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
Last edited:
TS
hrstrat57

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
Pony: