• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What do you use for mid-layer bottoms for resort skiing?

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have been using these Swix Manali insulated shorts for years. The ones I have do have a snap and zipper fly. I cannot tell if the current version has a snap or zipper fly. They do have full side zippers. I wear them over various long underwear and under shell pants or, for colder temps, insulated pants.
Phenix has a version with side zippers , but no front fly as does Elevenate (also no fly, but does have side zippers).

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Because it's amazing how much warmer your toes will feel.
On the other hand, too much insulation makes you sweat. And sweat makes your toes very cold. I'd rather be slightly cold the first couple runs, then comfortable the rest of the day after I warm up. But that's me. To each their own. OP asked "Am I missing something here folks? What are you all doing?" He's gotten some varying answers about what people are doing. Really depends on your personal temperature tolerance/comfort level. Perhaps worth OP experimenting with some different options.

Best day of the year skiing for me last season it was around 0F at the start up to 8F by the afternoon.
Best day I had last year was -20F. We could only manage 2-3 runs at a time before going in to warm up, but there were perfect snow conditions and no crowds. The few people there were all exceedingly friendly and excited as we reveled in our joint suffering/enjoyment.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Going to try something new this season. Dropping the 3/4 Smartwool tights and just going with N number of Nike sweatpants under insulated Norrona Lofotens, where N >= 0 and probably not to exceed 2. Actually last year during a storm day, forgot my snow pants and just skied in sweats. Worked fine. I might keep a pair of jeans in the car just in case.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I guess I should be happy a lot of people can't/won't handle cold weather.

Best day of the year skiing for me last season it was around 0F at the start up to 8F by the afternoon. Overnight low way below zero F. I dressed for it including with base layer plus thick softshell pants under insulated ski pants on my legs. The snow was old and highly transformed, so not slow.

And the mountain was almost empty since so many people stayed away - so almost no lines at the lifts. I can only ski on weekends, so this helped make it great. On my second run I was thinking "This rocks!" because the snow was good and I could let it rip even on the trails that are sometimes pretty crowded. I felt bad for the lifties, but it was soo good (and they were dressed right too).

It was so easy with the right clothes.
Exactly! Sibby don't go in. Sibby skis. Others like powder? My favorite condition is empty trails.

Dec. 29, 2014. Single digit day on the Ant Hill. I'll even ski Christmas week in single digits.
FB_IMG_1701375865434.jpg

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Going to try something new this season. Dropping the 3/4 Smartwool tights and just going with N number of Nike sweatpants under insulated Norrona Lofotens, where N >= 0 and probably not to exceed 2. Actually last year during a storm day, forgot my snow pants and just skied in sweats. Worked fine. I might keep a pair of jeans in the car just in case.

You forgot the winky emoji. Here... I found one for you... ;)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Please, Sir, can I have good visibility on storm days?

...or, for the skier who's already well Peaked, :geek:

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those look cool! Are they as awesome to wear as they appear in the description? Warm you when you are cold and cool you when hot?

They are very good, especially the Radiactor series. I wouldn’t wear anything else for a baselayer.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So I grew up skiing in -20 weather, and kind of like it when I have the right gear. Living in the PNW means I need a spectrum of options/layers so have the following:
  1. Smartwool base layer
  2. Gortex shell pants
  3. For colder weather inuslated Gortex pants instead of the shell pants
  4. For really cold weather I add my Marmot Variant Boot Top Tights
Mixing and matching the above lets me ski pretty much any conditions comfortably ... have the same setup with ski coats and midlayers

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I just picked up a pair of these, and I can't stop wearing them. The bottoms aren't too bulky and fold up easily over ski boots.

F23_PufferPant_PineBlack_Front_1200x.jpg

Same, but in 3/4 length. Archteryx, Stio, and others all make them. Game changer. The 'sliced bread' of clothing.

Last edited:

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I forgot to mention, and I realize this is a little off topic, I also use heated gloves (@BS Slarver sold me on these), Heated Goggles (Abom's have been a game changer for me) and occasionally boot heaters if it is really really cold. I now see they have heated jackets and mid layers though I have yet to dip my toe in those waters,

trieu

Putting on skis
Skier
No kidding! There's a lot of stuff that needs plugging in, and recharged at the end of the day. Heated boot bags, socks, goggles, vests, gloves, radios etc... But, it is all worth it , when you are comfy regardless of the cold conditions.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
To power that many heating appliances, gonna need a long extension cord.

Sponsor

Staff online