• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What do you use for mid-layer bottoms for resort skiing?

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I started wearing these last year, I wish I hadn't waited so long LOL. In cold weather I wear them under insulated pants, in warmer weather under shells.

Caveat: IMO they run a tad small around the waist. So unless you like a LOT of compression, size up

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
MTB pants. Pearl Izumi's AmFIB are actually better than the North Face from 10+ years ago. And the fly's right there.

I used to have a pair of Pearl Izumi pants that were basically the same. I also wore them for winter mtb (which I used to do) and xc skiing (which I still do) as well as under my ski pants. Wore those suckers out. They were free swag from work so I can't bring myself to spend north of $100 to replace them. lol

I usually wear a merino base layer and keep a nice pair of Columbia fleece pants to throw on over them après ski. If it's really cold out the fleece pants double as a mid layer. And I have a thicker pair of fleece pants for wen it's really cold!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't use a mid-layer bottom. Just a thin base layer Helly Hanson poly-pro type thing, and a pant shell. On a super cold day -0f and lower, I have a slightly heavier base layer, but still no mid-layer. But I run hot, as my wife says: I'm her furnace. I do use a mid-layer top however.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I started wearing these last year, I wish I hadn't waited so long LOL. In cold weather I wear them under insulated pants, in warmer weather under shells.

Caveat: IMO they run a tad small around the waist. So unless you like a LOT of compression, size up

Seconded. I've skied in them for years, but they're not a mid-layer.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
It's weird someone asking for advice on what midlayer to get after using a midlayer for decades and getting responses saying "I don't use a midlayer - just a baselayer under a shell."

OK. Good for you. Congrats.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use these insulated 3/4 length pants over a base layer and under shell when it’s really cold.

I’ve been really happy with them. Good warmth, relatively low bulk, and comfortable. I especially like that I’m not rolling something up to sit on top of my boots and pushing a bunch of fabric into the area between my knee and boot top.

They’re sold out right now but Stio and Norønna are two companies that make similar pieces and I’m sure there are a bunch of others.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It's weird someone asking for advice on what midlayer to get after using a midlayer for decades and getting responses saying "I don't use a midlayer - just a baselayer under a shell."

OK. Good for you. Congrats.

:D The question left the door open, thus: What midlayer do you use? I did, however try to keep on OP's intent.
Indeed. For me, Brynje mesh is a game-changer. I try to share my experience with everyone, even if many ridicule my fashion sense!

Yeh, Polartec basically took the Brynje idea and reinvented it into a fleece with Alpha. If you look at Alpha fabric in a macro pic, you can just about see the openwork mesh. This is one of the reasons I like the Pearl Izumi AmFIB pants I posted above better than the North Face/Patagucci fleeces I used to wear on the bike.

The Pactimo baselayer basically looks like this:

1701268992696.png

Unfortunately, the material doesn't have elastic stretch comparable to other fleeces and absolutely needs windblocking facers. But then so does Brynje.

We had a thread on the material here: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/polartec-alpha-base-layers-and-next-2-skin-insulators.28538/

Last edited:

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Indeed. For me, Brynje mesh is a game-changer. I try to share my experience with everyone, even if many ridicule my fashion sense!
You were describing another approach for someone who needs a little extra to stay warm. That's helpful. Even talking about insulated pants would be.

Whereas "Don't need it; I run warm" is not.

Last edited:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Whatever the Smartwool knickers are over a pair of wool boxers under shell pant. Anymore and it gets a bit swampy.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm thinking some Merino shorts over a baselayer might be a good way for a little extra warmth but not too much.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm thinking some Merino shorts over a baselayer might be a good way for a little extra warmth but not too much.

Partly to you and partly in response to @Tom K. , there's a whole shopping category of $cheap fleece jogger shorts - I like mine in fun colours or with appropriate logos - thus:

but caveat emptor: pocket stitching on the cheap stuff is usually complete sh*t. Expect to redo it, or to redo any thermal adhesive bonding.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
You were describing another approach for someone who needs a little extra to stay warm. That's helpful. Even talking about insulated pants would be.

Whereas "Don't need it; I run warm" is not.
Dude, why so critical? Maybe something that someone posts will for someone be "hey, that's a great idea, maybe I'll try that".

I USED to wear three layers...base, mid, shell. What I do now simplfies things for me. And gives my legs better support. Different strokes for different folks...

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
When I first read this I thought "fishnets". I hit the link for the Brynje and they look like fishnets to me. I cant see those being warm at all.

For heavy perspirers and with a wind blocker above, they're excellent, even when done in cotton-based yarns.

Fit is paramount - don't expect much multidirectional stretch. I just passed a full packing box of the stuff that doesn't fit anymore to my nephew.
Nowadays I'm in SIXS, Craft and ...Polartec Alpha as per above. Two of those can be looked at as updates of the mesh idea.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Dude, why so critical? Maybe something that someone posts will for someone be "hey, that's a great idea, maybe I'll try that". Different strokes for different folks...
Why the need for some people to jump up and say how they're different than the OP? Someone "runs hot." So what? We can't learn from that.

I USED to wear three layers...base, mid, shell. What I do now simplfies things for me. And gives my legs better support. Different strokes for different folks...
That's more helpful than "I don't wear midlayers. I run hot." What you wrote provides some info people might build upon or consider.

Imagine someone saying "I wore out my park skis - any recommendations for what I should be looking for as a replacement" and another person answers with "I don't ski park." Cool bro. You don't ski park. You run hot. Good for you.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online