• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What do you use for mid-layer bottoms for resort skiing?

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
No midlayer, base-layer only:
I'm with @Tony Storaro here. I use Icebreaker merino wool leggings (3/4 length). The fabric weight varies between ultralight and light to perhaps mid-weight for colder periods in British Columbia. While winter touring I usually use a 200 weight fabric and swap to the super-light weight during spring and summer touring. The choices simplify my life and makes packing easier for me.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
For heavy perspirers and with a wind blocker above, they're excellent, even when done in cotton-based yarns.

Fit is paramount - don't expect much multidirectional stretch. I just passed a full packing box of the stuff that doesn't fit anymore to my nephew.
Nowadays I'm in SIXS, Craft and ...Polartec Alpha as per above. Two of those can be looked at as updates of the mesh idea.
I had quite a bit of Brynje mesh for XC skiing years ago. And used it a little for cycling. Might want to drag some out and try for downhill skiing. Definitely warm for its weight.

Last edited:

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I started wearing these last year, I wish I hadn't waited so long LOL. In cold weather I wear them under insulated pants, in warmer weather under shells.

Caveat: IMO they run a tad small around the waist. So unless you like a LOT of compression, size up
Just order a couple for my wife and I. Thanks for the link. About $20 cheaper on Amazon.

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It seems like every “mid-layer” bottom I see either in ski shops or from any of the soft goods companies I can think of has no fly, so I have underpants (regular or long) with a fly, ski pants with a fly, and then I’m being offered a mid-layer with no fly, which would mean for most bathroom breaks having to pull down the outer two layers which is not convenient.

Am I missing something here folks? What are you all doing?

Nice humble brag... I'm not sure I am dealing with enough equipment to use three flies simultaneously.

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
Never understood why people need to wear so much insulation on their legs. 3/4 thermals under shell trousers or long trunks under insulated salopettes. Nothing more.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I first read this I thought "fishnets". I hit the link for the Brynje and they look like fishnets to me. I cant see those being warm at all.
For heavy perspirers and with a wind blocker above, they're excellent, even when done in cotton-based yarns.
They are incredibly warm and dry when coupled with another layer. They are also incredibly cooling and dry in the summer.

In their original material, they absorb very little water. That translates to nothing wet and clammy against your skin. The wool versions soak up a bit more moisture, as do the cotton, but yes it is more the properties of the garment itself that work so great. The holes allow for air to be trapped against the skin which insulates, moisture is absorbed by another layer which never touches your skin, and you stay warm and dry when you stop moving (think climbing on a ski lift or stopping during a hike to have a snack).

But I'll stop. Back to the op!

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The other way to read it is age - not enough squirt in the pump to get the last bit in the pipe over the hump.

For OP's sake, I hope your reading is closer ;)
There's your problem - trying to get that last bit out. Leave it be - that's what underwear's for.

We need an emoji for " the cold, hard truth".

Corollary: old arthritic fingers HATE flys.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
If it's that cold that I need a midlayer bottom on top of my baselayer.... I'm not on the slopes, as the lift line will be miserable, and likely no glide from my all-temp wax.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If it's that cold that I need a midlayer bottom on top of my baselayer.... I'm not on the slopes, as the lift line will be miserable, and likely no glide from my all-temp wax.
And for others of us, we wear midlayers up to about 30 F, unless skinning.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
And for others of us, we wear midlayers up to about 30 F, unless skinning.
I don't bother with baselayers down to 20°F. And the pant vents are usually open for me. Down to 10°F,yeah, I have a baselayer on.

Single digits to negative... too miserable for me.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Single digits to negative... too miserable for me.
I guess I should be happy a lot of people can't/won't handle cold weather.

Best day of the year skiing for me last season it was around 0F at the start up to 8F by the afternoon. Overnight low way below zero F. I dressed for it including with base layer plus thick softshell pants under insulated ski pants on my legs. The snow was old and highly transformed, so not slow.

And the mountain was almost empty since so many people stayed away - so almost no lines at the lifts. I can only ski on weekends, so this helped make it great. On my second run I was thinking "This rocks!" because the snow was good and I could let it rip even on the trails that are sometimes pretty crowded. I felt bad for the lifties, but it was soo good (and they were dressed right too).

It was so easy with the right clothes.

Sponsor