• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What do you use for mid-layer bottoms for resort skiing?

Rodney

Booting up
Skier
I have a pair of North Face ultra wick fleece pants, they work great for me, BUT they are about 20 years old and the stretch in the waistband has been dying for a while now (I just keep tightening the drawstring). I’ve been looking for a replacement for several years now, but have had no luck.

I typically wear them with technical underwear, or long underwear (merino knickers) if it’s really cold. They aren’t exactly stylish, basically just black sweat pants with pockets and a zipper, but if I want to ditch my ski pants and hit a bar and/or store or two they are just fine.

It seems like every “mid-layer” bottom I see either in ski shops or from any of the soft goods companies I can think of has no fly, so I have underpants (regular or long) with a fly, ski pants with a fly, and then I’m being offered a mid-layer with no fly, which would mean for most bathroom breaks having to pull down the outer two layers which is not convenient.

Am I missing something here folks? What are you all doing?

PS I did do a quick search, but if there is already a thread on this topic, I missed it and would be happy to be directed to it.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Eddie Bauer has a couple types of polyester fleece pants for sale right now. No fly.

A little thinner are the heaviest version of Uniqlo's Heattech base layers - "Ultra Warm Tights." The bottoms have flies. These are "fleeced" on one side and smooth on the other. More of a thick base layer, but might work for you. Cheap.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If I'm staying slopeside or walk to I often just rock the lounge pants rolled up a little at the cuffs. Boot up, go ski.. Come in for an extended break, kick off boots and ski pants, step in to fuzzy slippers, chill by the fireplace for an hour or two.. Put ski pants and boots back on and back out for more turns.. rinse and repeat (especially if it's raining).

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It seems like every “mid-layer” bottom I see either in ski shops or from any of the soft goods companies I can think of has no fly, so I have underpants (regular or long) with a fly, ski pants with a fly, and then I’m being offered a mid-layer with no fly, which would mean for most bathroom breaks having to pull down the outer two layers which is not convenient.

Am I missing something here folks? What are you all doing?

MTB pants. Pearl Izumi's AmFIB are actually better than the North Face from 10+ years ago. And the fly's right there.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Usually no mid layer for bottoms.

-Smartwool bottoms and uninsulated Spyder shell pants from over 20 years ago (rejuvenated every so often with Nikwax Tech Wash) gets me through most days.

-I tried insulated pants and felt too much like Randy in a Christmas Story. Could have used them on New Years Day at Tremblant though. Generally though I run sweaty.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I use fleece sweat pants, no fly, but I just pull the waist band down a little and reach over it.
I like the exercise pants with a fleece lining. Usually whatever tj max has. Just don’t like the thin jogger style. Don’t usually go with the thermals but they sure are warm.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Flys are over-rated. I tend towards women's 3/4 tights, insulated, compression etc. in part because the color selection is soooo much better. When you're digging through multiple layers, flys are actually more trouble than they're worth.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stretch fleece and cut off the bottom portion. My wife makes mine, but really, any economical source will do fine.

I like that this approach isn't bulky under my ski pants.

TS
R

Rodney

Booting up
Skier
Great replies, the Pearl Izumi cycling pants seem like a good option.

Keep the info coming, always great to see more ideas, especially since different options might be great for specific conditions.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wear an Insulated 3/4 length Bracelayer bottom. It is warm and provides support throughout my leg.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For the past several years I’ve just worn Icebreaker legless merino wool baselayer with athletic shorts under my shell pants. That has kept warm on all but the coldest of days and then I just add fleece pants.

I’ve done a lot of biking over the past year and am not nearly as self-insulated as I once was and am noticing that I’m not as cold tolerant . Just ordered a Stio insulated baselayer during their Black Friday sale in case I need a little more warmth this year.

Last edited:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Minus 33 heavyweight merino underwear or leggings for the win. If you have to cover up for shopping or bar, keep a lightweight pair of pull-on pants in your boot bag.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
On amazon search with "men's thermal compression bottom leggings". Works as the innermost elastically against the skin layer beneath say a warmer heavier fleece inner layer and one's outermost ski shell. Compression products use 90% or so polyester with 10% or so Spandex. I like the feel of the same material for layering with skin layer compression shirt tops. Those products have been more gym marketing oriented but work well for skiing too.

Sponsor

Staff online