• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Something for summer fun.. Well, this one is a wall hanger, but I will take one lap around the block when I set it up then hang it on the wall...

...First series of re-issue Alva Tri Logo signed by "the man" Tony Alva. ..

This brings back memories. I skated with Alva once. Ditto with Russ Howell. I ran one of the first "pro" skateboard shops in central Cali when I was in my early 20s. Still have one of the original Dogtown "ProAM" oak kicktail boards - with orange OJ wheels.

Last edited:

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I went a bit crazy and bought...

For me...

Salomon QLab 176cm with Salomon Sth 2 13 bindings

Oh and...

Line Supernatural 108 179cm with Tyrolia Adrenalin 13 bindings

Oh, some more...

Blizzard Brahma 173cm with Atomic Warden 13.

And my wife got...

Rossignol Soul 7 HD W 162cm with Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings.

Yes I know. I completely know. Way more skis than I need, particularly since my existing skis were perfectly adequate. But...I've paid off the mortgage, and was curious about each of them. I was due New crazy 88's. I could justify the 108's. The QLabs though are basically a pure curiosity purchase.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes I know. I completely know. Way more skis than I need, particularly since my existing skis were perfectly adequate. But...I've paid off the mortgage, and was curious about each of them. I was due New crazy 88's. I could justify the 108's. The QLabs though are basically a pure curiosity purchase.

I don't understand this sentence...please elaborate...

Actually don't. I don't think I ever want to understand it.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I don't understand this sentence...please elaborate...

Actually don't. I don't think I ever want to understand it.

I was thinking the same.

No one "needs" skis - the first pair, or any subsequent pair. No one skiing is wrestling with the poverty line. So we might as well acknowledge that we do this for fun, and if as second (seventh ... etc) pair of skis is going to be more fun and doesn't interfere with other financial goals, go for it!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I was thinking the same.

No one "needs" skis - the first pair, or any subsequent pair. No one skiing is wrestling with the poverty line. So we might as well acknowledge that we do this for fun, and if as second (seventh ... etc) pair of skis is going to be more fun and doesn't interfere with other financial goals, go for it!

One can take this thinking several steps further, you know.

For one thing, in combination, the givens of "doesn't interfere with financial goals" and "no one skiing is wrestling with the poverty line" logically result in
'No one posting here is proud simply because they were able to buy skis X'.

Which leaves the gates wide open for interpretation of motives for posting here. Some hypotheticals include:

'This is a ski no one writes about much; I wish to interact with people who might like them'

or

'Look what I just got, my skiing vistas are about to open immesurably, or at least help me pretend they will'

or

'I' simply can't contain the excitement I have, it's like getting a new puppy only I don't have to housebreak it or take it for walkies'

(I admit that last is the one that I can relate to most, except I'm a rescue animal sort of guy both literally and ski-metaphorically)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
One can take this thinking several steps further, you know.

For one thing, in combination, the givens of "doesn't interfere with financial goals" and "no one skiing is wrestling with the poverty line" logically result in
'No one posting here is proud simply because they were able to buy skis X'.

Which leaves the gates wide open for interpretation of motives for posting here. Some hypotheticals include:

'This is a ski no one writes about much; I wish to interact with people who might like them'

or

'Look what I just got, my skiing vistas are about to open immesurably, or at least help me pretend they will'

or

'I' simply can't contain the excitement I have, it's like getting a new puppy only I don't have to housebreak it or take it for walkies'

(I admit that last is the one that I can relate to most, except I'm a rescue animal sort of guy both literally and ski-metaphorically)

I identify with all of the above - but yes, the last one most.

It could also be just a tiny smidge of good-natured desire to make people feel a wee bit jealous?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I don't really see 'jealous' simply because of the givens we're starting with. But maybe I do see 'envious' in a French courtier/fashionista way.

Yeah, better word there.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You're not one of those irritating people who gets a perfect boot fit off the shelf, are you? Jeesh.:doh:
I haven't baked the liners yet, so I'm not sure. I might need a punch on the lateral toes. But if I do I know a guy...

It's a brag thread, right? ogwink

Y'know what? I got lucky. I molded those boot liners today and it looks like they're gonna be great! I padded the shit out of my mets for the mold and it feels really good. :yahoo:

I was gonna go test-skinning tonight under the moon, but it's cloudy. Maybe tomorrow.

Sean

I don’t see any holes
Skier
IMG_1286.JPG
I'm excited to take these for a spin!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Just somewhat reluctantly pulled the trigger on some Volkl AC Unlimited in a 153 cm with M9 Demo bindings. Now both my kids have mid 150 cm intermediate skis ready when they are ready to retire their 140 cm skis. Probably didn't need a 2nd pair of 150ish skis for them but they were pretty cheap at $114 shipped (10-11 model but in good shape). I think the demo binding is what sealed the deal.. Good all around ski for a loaner for their friends when they advance past needing them. When that day comes they will be able to ski my quiver.. at least some of the shorter options there. I should be done getting gear for them at this point. They'll be able to get their own gear if they keep skiing, but they're both set through high school with basic needs now that they have almost stopped growing.,

NonNativeRado

Astonishingly Mediocre
Skier
Sold my 2014 Volkl Kendos with Marker Griffon bindings for $275 on Craigslist. Picked up a pair of 2016 Volkl 90Eights with Marker Griffon bindings for $300 the next day. They only had a few days on them. $25 upgrade!

Picked up a pair of 2015 Volkl Ones for $75. One compression spot and bases kinda scratched up but no core shots. Bought a pair of Griffon bindings from a guy for $80. Tune, edge repair, and mount put me at like $260 for a nice set of dedicated powder skis.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sold my 2014 Volkl Kendos with Marker Griffon bindings for $275 on Craigslist. Picked up a pair of 2016 Volkl 90Eights with Marker Griffon bindings for $300 the next day. They only had a few days on them. $25 upgrade!

Picked up a pair of 2015 Volkl Ones for $75. One compression spot and bases kinda scratched up but no core shots. Bought a pair of Griffon bindings from a guy for $80. Tune, edge repair, and mount put me at like $260 for a nice set of dedicated powder skis.
We appreciate that you were very Volkl about the deals. ogwink

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just bought my first pair of skis ever - 2017 Nordica Santa Ana 93's, 169cm. I had demoed a bunch of skis and these were the ones that I compared the rest too and brought a big :D. I bought a size up from the ones I demoed. The thinking being that it will give me some "growing" room.

I had gone into the shop at main lodge, mammoth, looking to see if any of the demos were still available to buy. No luck. But the retail store had new ones at 40% off:). Their list price was already considerably lower than msrp, plus, I had $40 in gift cards given by MM at the last early up.

Now, I'm on the hunt for bindings.

View media item 1545

JellyBear

Booting up
Skier
I can't hold back my excitement, :yahoo:I'm having a set of custom skis built. I don't have them yet but the graphics are done and skis go to production in a couple weeks. I have started the 2017-18 season countdown already lol it's going to be a long summer :roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online