• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Just under USD $307, delivered. I caught www.exxpozed.com offering a major discount. Stoked, they're super light.

rj2

Still using the same poles from the 70s
Skier
I was having foot pain and couldn't control my skis, reverting to survival mode during longer runs. I got some used demo 2015 K2 Pinnacle 95s for $200 a few months ago. They were in great shape and really improved my enjoyment. But the boots were still holding me back. I tried on a few boots, and thought a 27.5 Dalbello Panterra 120 was the ticket. I then tried on some Lange RX130s and I liked them for the more secure fit. Just for laughs, I tried on the low volume version in 26.5. Now we're talking. I finally settled on the standard version with the 100 mm last. Out of the box, I didn't notice any pressure points, even after 30 minutes. The other boots also pinch nerves at the ball of my right foot and pressurized the base of my 5th metatarsal.

My wife put the kibosh on a new pair of Lange's at $700, so I started searching. Found a new 2013 Lange RX 130 LV locally for $240. More racy fit, and could work out the nerve pinch via boot fitting. I finally found a lightly used 2013, 100 mm last pair with hardly any sole wear for $100. They fit well (liners weren't blown out) when I met the seller and more importantly, skied awesomely. I got almost 20k of vertical a few Saturdays ago. Legs felt fresh all day, I didn't unbuckle while walking across the village, and when I took them off, my feet felt fine. Bonus, they match my skis.

IMG_9004.jpg

PS. I stayed upright all day, until the run down to Northstar base, when a beginner took me out from behind. Now I know my bindings release. No injuries to myself or gear.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Can we brag about selling things, too?

I am terrible about getting good value out of selling. I either use my emotions to dictate the price (way too high because I loved the thing), or I give up and sell for a song. So this weekend was satisfying.

I may or may not have done the latter, but this weekend, I managed to sell two items on CraigsList - the Marker Griffons for $75, and a carbon road bike for $500. The road bike was about 2k new, but that was in 2008. It truly was the "granny drove it to church once a week" in bike form - my knees never liked it, despite three professional fits. At least the third fitter was able to give me a likely reason for the pain. I priced based on the bike blue book value, taking into account that it's basically unused and in perfect shape. Within 36 hours, the bike was on its way home with a new owner who was very enthusiastic and happily paid the full price, because she readily admitted that it was in excellent shape. I donated the ancient bike computer, cadence doohickie, and attached pump, largely because I was too lazy to want to remove it. I did remove the tiny saddle bag and discovered a $20 bill that I didn't know was in there. Score!

BTW - why do I keep things for so long? I bought the bike in 2008. That bike has always irritated my knees. I have done a few 30 milers on it, but in the last few years, even a 5-10 minute ride hurt, and I wasn't willing to push through the pain anymore. The most recent pro fit was maybe 3 years ago. I kept it "So that I would have a road bike in case anyone proposed a road ride." This has happened maybe 5 times, and probably not in the last 5 years.

My husband was annoyed because he thought I'd immediately want to replace it. I surprised myself by saying, no, I'd rather apply the money to a new mountain bike - which would certainly get a lot more use.

rj2

Still using the same poles from the 70s
Skier
My wife demoed some skis Monday and Tuesday at Heavenly. Now we're in Park City and we found her skis at Cole Sport. $537 for the following: Blizzard Black Pearl, Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings, installation, and tuning.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
My wife demoed some skis Monday and Tuesday at Heavenly. Now we're in Park City and we found her skis at Cole Sport. $537 for the following: Blizzard Black Pearl, Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings, installation, and tuning.

Now that's a sweet price.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Care to share?

It had to do with my knees not tracking straight up and down when I pedaled. He tried to address it somewhat with washers to widen my stance on the pedals.

It does seem suspicious, because it's not as much an issue on my mountain bike. Then again, I pedal much more slowly on my mountain bike, and I prefer trails that require body english ...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It had to do with my knees not tracking straight up and down when I pedaled. He tried to address it somewhat with washers to widen my stance on the pedals.

It does seem suspicious, because it's not as much an issue on my mountain bike. Then again, I pedal much more slowly on my mountain bike, and I prefer trails that require body english ...

Doesn't seem terribly suspicious to me - aside from your less vigorous pedaling and less continuous pedaling, MTBs do generally have wider cranks and often shorter cranks that roadies. Interesting that no pedal extenders were suggested. Let me guess- your pedals are Allen-wrench only?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Doesn't seem terribly suspicious to me - aside from your less vigorous pedaling and less continuous pedaling, MTBs do generally have wider cranks and often shorter cranks that roadies. Interesting that no pedal extenders were suggested. Let me guess- your pedals are Allen-wrench only?

The road bike, you mean? It's long gone ... I was most recently using flats with traction pins. Before that, SPDs. The pedals all use a pedal wrench ..?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The road bike, you mean? It's long gone ... I was most recently using flats with traction pins. Before that, SPDs. The pedals all use a pedal wrench ..?

'K. Allen-wrench-only tensioning (which makes pedal extenders somewhat permanent) and carbon cranks were my two best guesses as to why a pedal extension wasn't suggested.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
'K. Allen-wrench-only tensioning (which makes pedal extenders somewhat permanent) and carbon cranks were my two best guesses as to why a pedal extension wasn't suggested.

Cranks were definitely not carbon. My husband removed the pedals with only the pedal wrench - does that disprove the theory? It could also be that the fit guy got the diagnosis right, but didn't know all the tools available - he was a PT, not a bike shop guy.

So - there might have been a solution. I'm just as happy to have the bike out of the garage so that I have less stuff I barely use. Next up is the motorcycle. Then maybe the downhill rig once lift-serviced starts running for the summer.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Cranks were definitely not carbon. My husband removed the pedals with only the pedal wrench - does that disprove the theory? It could also be that the fit guy got the diagnosis right, but didn't know all the tools available - he was a PT, not a bike shop guy.
It changes nothing, but I guess you knew that.

@epic had a notion some time back of using one of their on-hill video toolkit to track knee rotation planes during pedaling motion; that sort of thing would be about the only diagnostic confirmation I can think of.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It changes nothing, but I guess you knew that.

@epic had a notion some time back of using one of their on-hill video toolkit to track knee rotation planes during pedaling motion; that sort of thing would be about the only diagnostic confirmation I can think of.

Oh! The PT used a video analysis rig with cameras tracking little white stickers affixed to my joints while I rode the bike on a trainer. It was very very obvious.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Something for summer fun.. Well, this one is a wall hanger, but I will take one lap around the block when I set it up then hang it on the wall.

First series of re-issue Alva Tri Logo signed by "the man" Tony Alva. Inside scoop from a fellow collector. SoCal Skateshop has 1 or 2 of these available, or did the other day, but I got this one for a better price with better grip tape. SoCal's have blem grip tape cut backwards so Alva is up on goofy foot top instead of regular top.

DSC04479_zpsu6sq89h4.jpg

DSC04480_zpskvyeqkoj.jpg

I'm also getting the goofy grip tape... might use it to regrip my 77 blue badge if it fits on the smaller deck regular way which it just might.
DSC04481_zpsawvjzrc9.jpg

Oh and bought a bunch of drum stuff this month too..

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid