• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Subie/VW thoughts?

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
Subaru's CVT is a bit slow going from reverse to forward, you aren't the only one noticing it. Annoying at first but I got used to it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Alltrack checks all the boxes for me except reliability - pretty bad rating in CR.
My last JSW TDI was the most reliable car I ever owned, 150K and only one glow plug going bad while out of warranty.

marsound

Skier
Skier
My last JSW TDI was the most reliable car I ever owned, 150K and only one glow plug going bad while out of warranty.

That's a sample size of 1 vs. CR's numbers. I'm sure their methodolgy isn't perfect, but it does have some validity.

I'm ready to purchase one and ratings be damned, but my wife isn't on board... yet

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's a sample size of 1 vs. CR's numbers. I'm sure their methodolgy isn't perfect, but it does have some validity.

I'm ready to purchase one and ratings be damned, but my wife isn't on board... yet
I have said it before and will say it again. German (and America) cars are not as bad as they were and Japanese cars aren't as good as they were....

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I have said it before and will say it again. German (and America) cars are not as bad as they were and Japanese cars aren't as good as they were....
I agree. However from my anecdotal experience North American steelership mechanics are just as bad as, if not worse than, they ever were.
BTW Mexican cars (e.g. 2015 Mazda 3 with 48,000 kms) are surprisingly good (touching wood).

marsound

Skier
Skier

I'm sure that's true, but VWs had a pretty poor record, so that would have to be a significant improvement...

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Case in point..my 2007 Honda Civic..mass airflow sensor, 21k miles, recall upper rear control arms, 30k miles, alternator, 40k miles, cracked engine block, covered by TSB, 60k miles... Sample size of one..but that car stranded me twice in less than 30k miles...and nearly thrice in 40k miles.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I'm sure that's true, but VWs had a pretty poor record, so that would have to be a significant improvement...

I have had 16 VW's and put about 200K on them..I will go with my sample size of 1 and trust my experiences. I personally am not a CR fan for anything subjective, tehy are fine for toaster ovens or dishwashers but anything that has a tactual feel or subjectivity, I will look elsewhere. IMHO, there is nothing offered for under $30K that drives as well as a VW, if that requires a slight sacrifice in reliabilty, so be it.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier

Still a pretty big gap. Part of the reason is because Germans try to stuff as much as new tech into their cars while Japanese stick with what's proven to work, but part of it also plain old reliability.

Someone I know sold his X5 for a civic last year, because he was sick of fixing it. Even the dealer told him to come back when he start to have oil on the garage floor everyday instead of throwing money away right then.

Then there's the consideration of ease of repair/maintenance. I don't recall which model, but one of the MB takes 1.5 shop hours to change a headlight bulb, you can do Honda timing belt quicker than that.

marsound

Skier
Skier
I have had 16 VW's and put about 200K on them..I will go with my sample size of 1 and trust my experiences. I personally am not a CR fan for anything subjective, tehy are fine for toaster ovens or dishwashers but anything that has a tactual feel or subjectivity, I will look elsewhere. IMHO, there is nothing offered for under $30K that drives as well as a VW, if that requires a slight sacrifice in reliabilty, so be it.

In terms of subjective things like "road score", CR (and I) are in agreement with you re VWs, and the Alltrack in particular - it's one the highest scoring cars in terms of performance, features, etc. It's only bad mark is reliability.

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
In Phil's Alltrack reviews, he had a pair of 180cm skis fit with the rear seats folded down. Question for Phil, who owned Subies(if any Outbacks), and other Outback owners, with one side of the rear seats folded down, would 180cm, even 184cm, skis fit in an Outback? Thanks in advance.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In Phil's Alltrack reviews, he had a pair of 180cm skis fit with the rear seats folded down. Question for Phil, who owned Subies(if any Outbacks), and other Outback owners, with one side of the rear seats folded down, would 180cm, even 184cm, skis fit in an Outback? Thanks in advance.
Yes. the Alltrack is about the size of the 99-10 Outbacks...but smaller than the 11-Current ones...not sure whuch Outback you are referring to but you should have no problem fitting in any of them.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
There's a lot of cars these days that are really ugly in my opinion. A lot of the CUV's remind me of ski boots, and my daughter agrees with me. You'd think that would make them appealing, but not in a car!

She's looking to replace her Legacy. Any opinions on the RAV 4? That seems to be the used car most available that meets her mpg, AWD, price, and hauling requirements. But we haven't test driven it yet.

@Sibhusky We've had a couple of RAV 4s, and after the second one, we're done. There is no doubt that the inside is very comfy, and roomier than anything else. But there are three things we really dislike about it: 1) the center of gravity has always felt a little bit high, and when it is windy, I never feel comfortable driving it. Add skis or a box on top, and it's my nightmare. I think in Montana you get a chinook like we get here? And I hate to be in that car when it's blowing. Generally, I never feel as comfortable in the RAV 4 in winter conditions like I do in my Subaru Crosstrek, and even though it's much smaller, we tend to take the Subaru when we're skiing with 2 adults, 2 kids and 4 pairs of skis; 2) it has a terrible turning radius. you may not notice this on a test drive, but it gets really annoying over time; and 3) we have had so many recalls, and have had to take both of our RAV4s in for service a couple of times a year. They're being extra cautious, and it's all paid for by Toyota, but it always seems to be an emergency recall right before we leave somewhere with the car for a few days :)

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Been driving the rental Crosstrek for 3 days now. Biggest thing for me is going to be changing my frame of reference as I do the test drives this summer. Last 3 vehicles I have owned:
2001-04 F150 V8
04-07 Yukon XL V8
07 Yukon XL current
Wanting a smaller daily driver than I can still ski out of, and my job has changed. Been a Realtor for 16 years. We use to drive our clients from house to house during the buying process and that has gone away. The Yukon was (is) a fantastic platform for hauling clients, ski gear, camping gear, forest service roads up in the mountains. Ready for better MPG and easier to park.
Initial thoughts on the Crosstrek as this is the first subaru I have ever driven. Cant get out of its own way going from R to D. Is this a function of the CVT? This next thought is probably unfair but the Yukon is very plush road feel wise vs Crosstrek you really feel everything. This is probably a very apples to oranges comparison. Phil I would like to hear your thoughts on drive feel your Yukon XL vs Alltrack. Back in the day I had a 89 CRX that I bought new and put 150K on. Drove that thing allover Europe 91-96. Arrived in Colorado Springs 96 and quickly decided I didnt want to drive I-25 front range traffic w a standard so that was the end of my shifting days. Sigh.

I've been a Crosstrek owner for a couple of years now, and I have some thoughts. Before this, I was an all Volkswagen girl, from an all-VW family. So, there are ups and downs with this car.

-Yes, I find it to be a little loud. I do wish it was a little quieter than it is.
-At first, I found the whole car to be more rigid to sit in than any car I've owned before. I had the same impression as you- where's the plush? However, I will say that it is great if you are planning any longer drives. I drove the Crosstrek up from Calgary to the Yukon-Alaska border, up to Inuvik and back to Calgary and the car had no problems (none!), and I was not stiff or in pain. I have done that drive in previous years in a RAV 4, a Dodge Ram and a Ford cargo van, and the Crosstrek was the kindest to my body - both on the paved Alaska highway, and the gravel Dempster. So, it may feel a little utlitarian, but my body feels fine after a long drive in it.
-Like my experience with VW, maintenance is very low on the Subaru. Both are very good, solid cars.
-Subaru's AWD is unlike anything else I had driven. I have never felt so confident on winter conditions in Alberta, Yukon and Alaska. Other cars are spinning out of control and in the ditch, my Crosstrek is a beast.
-I test drove both the Automatic and the Manual version, and I think the manual is much smoother and I feel much more control than in the automatic version. I initially test drove the automatic because it was going to be a 6 week wait for the manual, but I'm glad I'm waited. The manual is smoother, and feels more powerful than the automatic (especially considering that the Crosstrek has an Impreza engine). The manual is a must for mountain-y roads. I know it would be a pain though probably for Colorado.

For skiing and winter conditions, I will probably not be getting a VW anymore.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
@Sibhusky We've had a couple of RAV 4s, and after the second one, we're done. There is no doubt that the inside is very comfy, and roomier than anything else. But there are three things we really dislike about it: 1) the center of gravity has always felt a little bit high, and when it is windy, I never feel comfortable driving it. Add skis or a box on top, and it's my nightmare. I think in Montana you get a chinook like we get here? And I hate to be in that car when it's blowing. Generally, I never feel as comfortable in the RAV 4 in winter conditions like I do in my Subaru Crosstrek, and even though it's much smaller, we tend to take the Subaru when we're skiing with 2 adults, 2 kids and 4 pairs of skis; 2) it has a terrible turning radius. you may not notice this on a test drive, but it gets really annoying over time; and 3) we have had so many recalls, and have had to take both of our RAV4s in for service a couple of times a year. They're being extra cautious, and it's all paid for by Toyota, but it always seems to be an emergency recall right before we leave somewhere with the car for a few days :)

Too late, she bought the 2017 RAV4 Hybrid. The turning radius is fine, the specs say it is smaller than my Alltrack. I personally don't like the looks of the car, and especially the trunk, but she's happy with the hybrid stuff and really most of her driving these days is in Missoula, so the fact that it gets good city miles is nice. As a passenger, every seat is super roomy, so that's all I care about. I guess we'll hear about windy conditions, but maybe that battery will give it a lower center of gravity? She would never use a box, but is thinking kayak. I haven't driven it yet, maybe next visit? I like lower to the ground myself and think my Alltrack is close to perfect from the driving standpoint. But I didn't push it on her due to this sunroof issue, as I'd never hear the end of it.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
My ma had a Rav 4. I dunno about Toyota. You can't see the buttons under the dash from the drivers seat. Weird. Not sure I'd buy one.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
We almost bought a new Rav4 Hybrid, then drove an Outback. The electric only mode was cool, always wanted to try a hybrid or plug-in, but took the OB home.

Sponsor

Staff online