• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Subie/VW thoughts?

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm trading in the TDI Sportwagen. Looked at Alltrack, Sportwagen 4Motion, and 2017 Subaru Impreza hatch. VW is quicker and a bit more upscale, but Subie is cheaper, has more tech, MUCH better gas mileage, and a reputation for solid, no-nonsense maintenance/repair. I want to like the VW's, but find my brain going to the pokier, but much more practical Subaru. I know Alltrack/Sportwagen gets a lot of love here, but anyone want to toss in some thoughts/commentary I haven't considered?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We looked at both, including the Outback. We immediately dropped the Impreza from consideration because of space in the back, if Subaru brought the Levorg (Impreza wagon in Japan) to the US, it would have been more of a viable option. Past that fit and finish was a huge deal for us. If you look at my history, I have had 16 Subies and 16 VW products, there is no comparison to the fit and feel of the Subie compared to the VAG products. While we were waiting to get the Alltrack, we drove my son's 2010 Impreza that had a whopping 40,000 miles, our 2010 JSW with 150K drove better and tighter. If you are fine with an appliance of a car, the Subie is that. Seats were also a huge issue for us, the Subie seats, especially the passenger one is sub par for long trips, we drive 20k/yr plus and that was key. As far as reliability. Subaru isn't as good as they used to be andVW is not as bad either. I am not sure what you are thinking about transmissions but VW is the winner for both manuals and comparing the DSG to the CVT. We paid $23,800 for a 28K list Alltrack, Sportwagens are $2K less than that. I am not sure how much Imprezas are going for, but I cannot imagine much less. MPG, yes the Subie is the winner here.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
My daughter has a Subaru she says she can't sell locally because everyone knows its history. It's been one thing after another for years and years now.

That being said, Phil and I are in a Facebook group where there seems to me to be an inordinate number of problems with water leaks on the VW. But my daughter has that in a MAJOR way with her Subaru. In fact when she comes home next weekend, the family project is going to be figuring out where it's coming from. The dealer told her $200 to diagnose, up to $2000 to fix.

I wouldn't have the Outback because it's just too big for the ski area parking lot. (I don't know how the pickup trucks do it!!). I like my Alltrack a lot, but have concerns about this leak issue -- haven't seen it myself and have run it through a touchless car wash with strong water jets about five times with no issues, but maybe it's only a matter of time?

I test drove a Forester, but elected to stay with my 18 year old Audi because it was way more fun to drive, NO CONTEST. I really enjoy being able to do U-turns that scare the sh%t out of my passengers in the kind of space requiring a K-turn for even the older, smaller Outbacks. But if you're all about "practical", I'm guessing the Subie wins. Zzzzzzzz

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I see this as somewhat of a trade off between gas mileage (VW) and bombproof symmetrical AWD (Subaru). If you live in winter hell 7 + months out of the year I'd go with Subie and the best snows out there. If you take long trips mostly winter driving go with the VW and the best snows out there. If you only take occasional trips to winter wastelands, not that far go with Subie and pretty good tires. If you take occasional winter trips to winter wastelands, that are pretty long trips, go with the VW and pretty good tires.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My daughter has a Subaru she says she can't sell locally because everyone knows its history. It's been one thing after another for years and years now.

That being said, Phil and I are in a Facebook group where there seems to me to be an inordinate number of problems with water leaks on the VW. But my daughter has that in a MAJOR way with her Subaru. In fact when she comes home next weekend, the family project is going to be figuring out where it's coming from. The dealer told her $200 to diagnose, up to $2000 to fix.

Head gaskets are definitely a crap shoot. So far, going on year 8 knock wood, my Forester goes through less than a cup of coolant in an entire year. I think it's steaming out where the hose sends back to the overflow reservoir, I can smell it occasionally but never even a little puddle under the car ever. If there are puddles and the coolant goes missing in significant ways, by bet would be on the head gasket from what I've heard over the years.. and ya, up to $2k to fix/replace..

Oh, and I also use that Subaru super coolant 100K stuff but change it every 50K.. and also add that coolant treatment designed to plug up sketchy head gasket seal points.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
and a reputation for solid, no-nonsense maintenance/repair.

This I don't get. My 05 Outback cost me a lot more in repairs than my Sportwagon had. I've had the SW for almost as long as the Outback now, once I hit 80-90 k that car needed a quart of oil every 2k ... my girlfriends 14 Crosstrek is the same and she only has about 60k on hers.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
With respect to VW and Subie, I've only owned 1969 Beetle and 2014 Outback, so take following with grain of salt! Also, my son owns a 2015 Forester that I have driven quite a bit. Other than the nice, longer (but less tall) cargo area with seats down in the Outback, I prefer his Forester over my Outback for smoother drivability and better rear visibility. When my son was shopping for his Forester we test drove a used, late model turbocharged VW Tiguan (2013?). It was more fun to drive than either Subie. Neither my Outback or my son's Forester, now both with about 50k miles, have had any serious maintenance problems. Referencing CRGildart's comments, my son lives in UT and skis Snowbird all the time. He puts snow tires on the Forester in the winter and is pretty bulletproof driving in LCC.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That being said, Phil and I are in a Facebook group where there seems to me to be an inordinate number of problems with water leaks on the VW.

I have been wondering why...this body has been out since 2015...why the problems now with the 2017's?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Head gaskets are definitely a crap shoot. So far, going on year 8 knock wood, my Forester goes through less than a cup of coolant in an entire year. I think it's steaming out where the hose sends back to the overflow reservoir, I can smell it occasionally but never even a little puddle under the car ever. If there are puddles and the coolant goes missing in significant ways, by bet would be on the head gasket from what I've heard over the years.. and ya, up to $2k to fix/replace..

Oh, and I also use that Subaru super coolant 100K stuff but change it every 50K.. and also add that coolant treatment designed to plug up sketchy head gasket seal points.

Umm, I'm talking water leaks through the roof. She may have replaced a head gasket years ago. Plus the catalytic converter three times, probably a dozen O2 sensors, and the engine. She pays for Premium AAA coverage at this point. Because I can't even remember it all. She's thinks it may amount to the entire car aside from the frame.

TS
tch

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Phil (or anyone),
What real-world gas mileage you getting? Subaru is 6/7 mpg better according to published reports...but I wonder if it's accurate. Summer gas, 50/50 driving?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil (or anyone),
What real-world gas mileage you getting? Subaru is 6/7 mpg better according to published reports...but I wonder if it's accurate. Summer gas, 50/50 driving?
We are getting 28 combined..that is 30% in town and 70% highway...at elevation...at 80MPHish.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Getting 25.2 mph according to the car, but that's almost all at under 35 mph and mostly going up and down the mountain in the winter. Average speed (according to the car) has been 25 mph, so that should tell you the low end of things. So far, the mpg has been roughly tracking the mph, but I'm sure there's a fall off in that correlation somewhere! Lol!

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Getting 25.2 mph according to the car, but that's almost all at under 35 mph and mostly going up and down the mountain in the winter. Average speed (according to the car) has been 25 mph, so that should tell you the low end of things. So far, the mpg has been roughly tracking the mph, but I'm sure there's a fall off in that correlation somewhere! Lol!

I've averaged ~32 mpg in my GTI over about 7 years of ownership, I imagine an alltrack would be similar. Oddly, my mileage seems to have gotten better after living at 9000 feet. (Turbo compensating for oxygen+ less drag due to lower air density?)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've averaged ~32 mpg in my GTI over about 7 years of ownership, I imagine an alltrack would be similar. Oddly, my mileage seems to have gotten better after living at 9000 feet. (Turbo compensating for oxygen+ less drag due to lower air density?)
I think the Alltrack should get less than the GTI because if the heavier bigger body and the drag of AWD. I am not sure which gets better real world mileage, the DSG or manual tranny.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The other posters would have more recent experience than I, and they can correct me if things have changed, but at least in the past the VWs had a firmer more direct suspension feel aimed at driver control, where as the subaru was closer to (not equal to) the North American comfy feel. It's something worth considering what you prefer, and how much your are willing to pay for it. OR you could just buy the car with the better gas mileage and upgrade the suspension if needed.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Since I've only owned German cars since 1990, and rarely driven the Subaru's of my family members, and never owned an American car, I can't comment. I just remember how the cars of my childhood (always GM) were. Hit a bump and a mile later you might feel something. With 18" wheels I can feel every stone now. Noticed this car was much stiffer than my old Audi as I drive it home, but have gotten used to it. Now I wonder what my issue was.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Phil (or anyone),
My 09 Forester 2.5 gets 20-21mpg on average. Not much different highway or city.

Sponsor

Staff online