• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Arapahoe Basin 2016-2017

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
You on center mount skis there?

That's my oldest son who is usually 3/4 dead from XC running and hasn't been skiing as much.

Those are Blizzard Peacemakers mounted around -6cm (+1 from recommended IIRC).

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Woooooooow that Pali shot looks amazing. Think I'll be able to sneak in some last laps on Saturday? :)

Well...I have a sneaking suspicion about one thing and a not sneaking suspicion about another.

Closing Zuma based on a repair issue, and closing East Wall early while the snow was excellent right after a storm cycle based on some rollers (which did turn into Fred Flinstone wheels by afternoon) suggests we are in fact in late May and A-Basin may not try to hold terrain open any longer. That would likely include Pali.

The not sneaking suspicion is that the next few days are going to be shit. There was a lot of snow that wasn't skied out from the Monday night storm, and it got sun hammered and sticky along with the cream cheese that went to sticky mash. And now it is going to freeze and be mostly cloudy through Sunday. Which means the entire mountain is going to be reef and Zuma's groomers are done.

If consolation is necessary, Pali did look awesome from the lift and awesome in pics, but the soft stuff that wasn't skied hard before was just a bit grabby in enough spots that there wasn't much opportunity for rhythm, which is fine since my skiing doesn't offer much opportunity for rhythm, but the upper front side was by far the best skiing all day. There was surprisingly no reef underneath and for several runs it was light and creamy.

We need a few days of moderate sun cycle to be honest, which perhaps we get next week after the holiday hordes are gone.

Another boy.

IMG_5884.PNG

IMG_5879.JPG

IMG_5878.JPG

Afternoon consolation prize.

IMG_5881.JPG

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Sometimes you work. Sometimes you play. Then you work again. That describes today.

I got a late start but the conditions couldn't have been more fun. A little sticky in places, but soft steeps abounded. I skied the skier's left boundary, Tiger, 13 Cornices, International, Exo and lots more.

20170524_134312.jpg
Main Street

20170524_134704.jpg
The East Wall

20170524_134740.jpg
It was open and delightful.

20170524_152219.jpg
Relaxing near the end of the day.

20170524_152604.jpg
The 'lounge'

20170524_152808.jpg
It was saweet.

20170524_165104.jpg
@SBrown

20170524_173331.jpg
On the road home.

Now to fix a client's PC.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Pali was 'da bomb yesterday to make up for the EW closure.

There is more more sun than I expected based on the forecast. May the slush be with you.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Everyone laughed at me for rooting for clouds to come in. Let's face it - for snow this time of year the Sun is the Death Star.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Ya, but I like slushy, wet snow especially when all that is left off piste is bumped to one degree or another. Otherwise Dercum's Gulch, Power Line and Norway Face get pretty tedious. I've actually gotten to like the slush bumps; even with the MX98 184s.

I guess I'd rather have good soft skiing for a little while than marginally nice (hard pack) for a longer while.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I like forecasts like this when other people are going to be skiing on horde weekends.

IMG_5888.PNG

Snow preservation in May should definitely occur on other people's watches.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Without all the new snow we had at the end of last week, I'm expecting less than outrageous crowds. :-|

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Monday doesn't work for us.

Sponsor

Staff online