• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poll 2017-18 $kiing Budget

How much will you spend for this coming ski season

• $0-$2,500

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • $2,501-$,5000

Votes: 40 33.6%
  • $5,001-$7,500

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • $7,501-$10,000

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • $10,001-$15,000

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • $15,001 plus

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Lol. You can't be that precise. You seriously know how much you spend each year?
You must be hard to live with. "Liz you've averaged 11 minutes per shower for the last three months which equates to 31 gallons of water per shower - no wonder our water bill has increased by 17% since the last bill".

Obviously you have never met Tony Crocker as evidence by your surprise at his number preciseness.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Lol. You can't be that precise. You seriously know how much you spend each year?
You must be hard to live with. "Liz you've averaged 11 minutes per shower for the last three months which equates to 31 gallons of water per shower - no wonder our water bill has increased by 17% since the last bill".
My husband seems to be like that. He's always telling me how much some cheese cost. I know exactly how much I spend on skiing because for the first ten years here I had no income to speak of, so I was watching every nickel. Tony is an actuary, of course he counts things. I think his numbers are pretty loosey-goosey myself.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
I love data too, so I understand it, but I'm not organized enough to collect the data. (And when it comes to skiing budget, a little ignorance can be a good lubricant.)
In general I'm not in favor of deliberate ignorance. Obviously knowing the cost of skiing has not slowed me down. I could slash living and skiing costs a lot by selling the house, moving to Salt Lake and buying an AltaBird pass. But we both like the travel variety (not only skiing, see below) and there are other reasons to stay in SoCal for the time being. This year my 40% share of Dodger season tickets is one of those reasons. Liz lived in Manhattan for 27 years, and so far L.A. has enough of the city attractions she likes that she does not miss NYC.

Data collection can be a time suck. I spend a lot of time in May every year e-mailing and calling ski areas to get the past season's snow data. The twice-a-month in-season reports on my website take at least 3 hours to collect new data and update. Tracking expenses is fairly easy by comparison. Put as much as possible on credit cards (which I do anyway to stay in Delta's Silver or Gold status), then go through the card statements and check registers once or twice a year. I know how much I take from checking in cash but it's not worth the trouble to track how that is spent. All of this is trivial vs. the time spent collecting ski data. You have to make the collection process efficient relative to what you get out of it. Since I'm a ski junkie, that's where I'm willing to expend the most effort in data collection and analysis.

I don't view these expense numbers as being precise. But I want to have a general idea.

Liz and I met online in 2010 via common interest in skiing and total solar eclipses. After the July 11, 2010 eclipse when she was on Easter Island she skied in Chile. I was on a cruise ship off Tahiti and then skied in New Zealand. Liz and I have been to the last 4 total solar eclipses together. I saw 6 and she saw 4 before we met.
GetYourAssToTotalitySticker.png

The upcoming total solar eclipse is the first in the continental US since 1979, total in the white strip on the map above. It is a bucket list event. I don't advocate exotic travel just for an eclipse unless it's to someplace you want to go anyway. But the investment of time and $$ to get from places like Tahoe, Utah or Colorado to the August 21 path is absurdly cheap vs. any other eclipse in our likely lifetimes. Do not think you can stay home and see most of the show at 90%. A 99% eclipse is still 4,000x as bright as totality; thus you don't see the solar corona, flares, etc.
http://americaneclipseusa.com/generation-eclipse-9-99-percent/

Last edited:

TonyC

Pass Pulled
I think his numbers are pretty loosey-goosey myself.
The expense numbers are loosey-goosey. I strive for more precision in the ski/snow numbers.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Since we live at Tahoe, I have no lodging, travel or food expenses related to skiing (have to eat anyway, so I don't count chili or a sandwich on the mtn; and at 12 and 30 miles, respectively to Nstar and Squaw, gas cost is negligible), This makes it's hard to put a number on it. But last season (well I'm still skiing at Squaw and maybe Mammoth so it's not over yet) total expenses were Epic Local pass and Squaw Senior Gold pass around $900 so with about 100 days in that's $9 a day. I did have Phil custom fit my Head Raptors for $200 to get rid of an ankle problem and picked up a pair of new AX's w/bindings for 1/2 price ($800), but the skis where done after the season had closed for everyone except Squaw and Mammoth, so I'm counting it as next year. Speaking of next year, Mary will be working at Nstar ticket office again, so my full Epic Pass will be free. Yes, I know, it's a tough life.
You and mary want to adopt a 48 yr old, his lovely wife and a couple of grandkids? I'm kind of obnoxious but the wife and kids are great . . .

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
In general I'm not in favor of deliberate ignorance. Obviously knowing the cost of skiing has not slowed me down. I could slash living and skiing costs a lot by selling the house, moving to Salt Lake and buying an AltaBird pass. But we both like the travel variety (not only skiing, see below) and there are other reasons to stay in SoCal for the time being. This year my 40% share of Dodger season tickets is one of those reasons. Liz lived in Manhattan for 27 years, and so far L.A. has enough of the city attractions she likes that she does not miss NYC.

Data collection can be a time suck. I spend a lot of time in May every year e-mailing and calling ski areas to get the past season's snow data. The twice-a-month in-season reports on my website take at least 3 hours to collect new data and update. Tracking expenses is fairly easy by comparison. Put as much as possible on credit cards (which I do anyway to stay in Delta's Silver or Gold status), then go through the card statements and check registers once or twice a year. I know how much I take from checking in cash but it's not worth the trouble to track how that is spent. All of this is trivial vs. the time spent collecting ski data. You have to make the collection process efficient relative to what you get out of it. Since I'm a ski junkie, that's where I'm willing to expend the most effort in data collection and analysis.

I don't view these expense numbers as being precise. But I want to have a general idea.

Liz and I met online in 2010 via common interest in skiing and total solar eclipses. After the July 11, 2010 eclipse when she was on Easter Island she skied in Chile. I was on a cruise ship off Tahiti and then skied in New Zealand. Liz and I have been to the last 4 total solar eclipses together. I saw 6 and she saw 4 before we met.
View attachment 26665
The upcoming total solar eclipse is the first in the continental US since 1979, total in the white strip on the map above. It is a bucket list event. I don't advocate exotic travel just for an eclipse unless it's to someplace you want to go anyway. But the investment of time and $$ to get from places like Tahoe, Utah or Colorado to the August 21 path is absurdly cheap vs. any other eclipse in our likely lifetimes. Do not think you can stay home and see most of the show at 90%. A 99% eclipse is still 4,000x as bright as totality; thus you don't see the solar corona, flares, etc.
http://americaneclipseusa.com/generation-eclipse-9-99-percent/
I was shoveling snow during that 1979 one. Stopped to watch it (through a photo negative of course). I remember at the time them saying the next would be (in 2017 apparently) and thinking that was SOOOOOOOO far in the future I couldn't wrap my head around it . . . .

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Thats kind of creepy. Was there anything else you did that he tracked?
He only tracked it because I'm THAT neighbor. You know the trashy one who never mows his grass, I quit watering it so it wouldn't grow so I wouldn't have to mow it and it would still get 8" between mowings. I have no use for nice yards, none whatsoever. I feel for my neighbors, not enough to change my behavior, mind you, but I do see empathize. I would never buy a home with covenants.....NEVER.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
$10,000-$15000

Five one-week trips. Mountain collective pass covers the majority of lift tickets, either free or half-price. Utah in Dec (Alta, Snowbird, Snowbasin if it's open), Taos Ski Week in Jan, JH in Jan (with steep and deep camp and a day at Targhee for good measure), BC road trip in Feb (Red, Whitewater, Revelstoke), Banff in March with the boys (Sunshine, LL, Norquay, maybe a day at Nakiska).

All of these involve airfare, rental car and lodging. I find myself too old to stay in Motel 6's anymore, so lodging starts to add up. No new gear in the plans, but plans are made to change. Also add the odd day of local skiing here and there for when I get cabin fever sitting inside during the long MN winter.

TonyC

Pass Pulled
I was shoveling snow during that 1979 one.
Partial eclipses are not that uncommon and not that big a deal. In 1979 if you weren't along the ~100 mile wide totality path extending from Portland, Oregon through Yakima, parts of Idaho and Montana (Lonnie Ball saw it from the Ridge at Bridger Bowl) and into Canada including Winnipeg, you saw a partial eclipse.

Partial eclipses must be viewed through safety glasses and photo negative is not dark enough. These days there are lots of certified eclipse shades being sold, typically for a dollar or so, though it will probably be more on the day of the eclipse.

I was not aware of the 1979 eclipse at the time. I was on my first one week ski trip, at Mammoth during a storm cycle and would thus not have seen the 88% partial there in any case.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I'm in the bottom number on the poll because:

1. Our passes to Vail resorts is free, so I only have to pay for preferred parking.

2. We work at the resort so much we generally don't have time for travel.

3. My only current gear need is for a new recreational ski parka.

4. We love living five minutes from the parking lot.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I was shoveling snow during that 1979 one. Stopped to watch it (through a photo negative of course). I remember at the time them saying the next would be (in 2017 apparently) and thinking that was SOOOOOOOO far in the future I couldn't wrap my head around it . . . .

I recall the partial that year while I was skiing in Northern Michigan. Sky became a strange yellow color and the light became very similar to dusk.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't answer poll. It's embarrassing, but I don't have much of a clue. I earn the money, but my wife manages it. She gives me a pretty loose leash. We both are inherently quite thrifty in the micro decisions so it seems to work at the macro level.:crossfingers:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The only year(s) we ever had in the top range it was my daughter's racing period. I had to stop adding things up. Had to approach it the same way as I do roller coasters. Hang on and keep my eyes shut and pray. Glad that's in the past. Would do it again, but...

Right now we have the equivalent with healthcare expenses, waiting for Medicare to start for my husband. His job went to India in February 2015, we've been just watching the money vanish. We'll be fine, but after forty years of saving, it's tough to get used to the funds going the other direction at such a rate.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some really steep numbers here.

I'm in the $2,501-$,5000 range, hopefully on the lower end. $500 pass, $700 Kastle TX that I bought, probably $500 for bindings that I still haven't purchased. Hoping to take a short ski trip to Colorado somewhere, and maybe buy another pair of skis.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Tony was/is an actuary.....he tracks everything. My neighbor was an actuary, he was the same way. One time he told me exactly how many times I had mowed my grass over the last 3 years.

You know what they say....an actuary is someone who finds accountancy too exciting....:D

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Some really steep numbers here.

I'm in the $2,501-$,5000 range, hopefully on the lower end. $500 pass, $700 Kastle TX that I bought, probably $500 for bindings that I still haven't purchased. Hoping to take a short ski trip to Colorado somewhere, and maybe buy another pair of skis.

Please tell me these are AT bindings.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Yes. "Regular" bindings are much cheaper.

Even most AT bindings are much cheaper, unless you are going with Kingpin/the new Vipec. Finding speed rads / turns for ~$300 USD isn't that hard.

Sponsor

Staff online