• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poll 2017-18 $kiing Budget

How much will you spend for this coming ski season

• $0-$2,500

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • $2,501-$,5000

Votes: 40 33.6%
  • $5,001-$7,500

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • $7,501-$10,000

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • $10,001-$15,000

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • $15,001 plus

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
$700 on skis and bindings, $100 on seasons pass, $600-ish on various tickets, $150 on tuning stuffs, $300-ish on various overnights and food.

Racing on a budget. A lot of training at a home ski area instead of the bigger resorts. Definitely going cheaper than last year. No early ski races by myself, always car pooling.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm, I voted for $0-2500, but might need to revise that. My season's pass comes at a serious discount for being a part-time instructor. I bought the MCP at $429. We will drive to the Gathering. I have a Worldmark condo to stay at in Eden, UT (using my credits) for the first few days of the Gathering, then we'll stay with family in SLC the rest of the week. We'll probably stop in Sun Valley for a few days, so a couple nights in Ketchum. Same possibly for Jackson. The rest is gas and food. Optionally I might do a late spring trip to Squaw/Alpine and Mammoth.

I think I could probably keep it under $2500. Unless I decide to buy some equipment........'cause what I want aint' cheap.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When all is said and done including gas, meals, etc. unfortunately over $5,000 this year because we got the multi mountain pass. But our other vacations are usually at friends' places or camping so the overall vacation budget isn't too bad for 4 people.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
The variant I head: "An actuary is someone who wanted to be an accountant but didn't have the personality.":D:D
I heard it (from a non-actuary spouse) differently "An actuary is born, not learned"

(I've only met two. Apart from being "number person", both have compulsive behavior(s), each exhibits it in different ways though)

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
Don't tell my wife. But my ski patrol First Aid instructor called it the most expensive free skiing you will ever get. Wearing out truck and equipment. Missing overtime at work.
Wouldn't have it any other way! Love it. Great to say I have to go skiing

skiprob

Putting on skis
Skier
Really. This is all I got…

… some accounting satire…

I think I make money…

After taxes…

Being a part time instructor requires a substantial, ongoing investment:

It takes a lot to generate $300-500 season-in and season-out.

Qualifying employee business expenses include…
  • Equipment, used solely while working or training – skis, boots and poles. As I am compelled to use contemporary equipment, last year’s stuff gets handed down
  • Protective equipment – They key word is ‘protective’. That way the rule that it doesn’t count if you can wear it in public does not apply. Virtually all my ski wear and accessories have a protective feature that justifies the purchase… even the ski gee. Those goggles need to have UVA and UVB protection.
    • Jackets,
    • Pants,
    • Helmet,
    • Underwear,
    • Socks,
    • Gloves,
    • Sunglasses,
    • Sunscreen
    • Lip balm
  • Internet connectivity – in order to remain connected to the professional/industry sites and blogs
  • Insurance – life and disability policies
  • Smartphone – Parents are insistent upon keeping in touch
  • Exercise classes – My ski supervisor (a bank VP) says I better be in “TOP SHAPE BUDDY”
    • Spinning
    • Yoga
    • HIIT
  • Exercise equipment –
    • Bikes – yes, a mountain bike and a road bike as well as a cross.
      • I draw the line at the beater I use to go to the liquor store. That’s just too much.
    • Kayak
    • Stand up paddleboard
    • Sun hat
    • PFD
  • Mileage when working or training on the same day as the main job
  • Professional dues – former Epic Ski supporter
  • Training – required to maintain membership
  • Après ski with industry insiders – to stay current on the latest gossip in order to impress the general public with my poseur creds.
  • Video recording equipment used during the lesson to perform movement analysis and provide video highlights.
    • Better add the expanded data plan for the smartphone.
When going on any trip:
  • I make it a point to introduce myself at the ski school desk, engage in a brief discussion and grab a card so I can write off the lift ticket.
  • I also stop at a local real estate office and perform the same. I need to research multiple areas for when I convert my rental properties via a tax deferred like kind exchange pursuant to section 1031 of the IRS code. That covers mileage, plane fare and lodging.
Standard qualification. Everything posted above is make believe and for entertainment purposes only. I was trained as an accountant but I do not practice in either accounting or tax preparation. See an experienced professional.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I put between $2501 and 5000 have about 2500 into 1 planned trip to Kitzbuhel, another 1200 for a trip to Taos. Guess there's no room in that budget for new skis!

Revising this as we decided not to go on the Kitz. trip. It was just too much $ for a place that is not on my bucket list. Will wait until next year and steer our ski club to Val Thorens. What will replace Kitz? Probably an MCP area...never been to Banf... want to return to Telluride...Love Jackson, SLC is easy and can be done fairly cheap...

Maybe those new skis will fit in the budget after all. Anyone know where I can get a deal on last year's Atomic Backlands?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I voted <= $2500. If you include my mortgage which truly enables me to ski then it is way more, but it can be argued it is just a cost of living, too. The reality is I wouldn't be skiing as much as I do if I had to commute to ski.

The Epic pass and employment at Cooper with its access to the Real Deal (which I haven't taken advantage of in a while) keeps my lift access cost low. I work in a shop and get great shop discounts. Plus I was lucky enough to get free skis and bindings last season from 'leave behinds' at the shop. I am quite fortunate to have these deals and opportunities but I also have planned my life around skiing. Last season my biggest expenses were a new touring setup. I'll be trying Atomic's new AT boot this season and hopefully getting another pair of touring bindings and skis, but boots are higher priority right now.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
The upcoming total solar eclipse is the first in the continental US since 1979, total in the white strip on the map above. It is a bucket list event. I don't advocate exotic travel just for an eclipse unless it's to someplace you want to go anyway. But the investment of time and $$ to get from places like Tahoe, Utah or Colorado to the August 21 path is absurdly cheap vs. any other eclipse in our likely lifetimes. Do not think you can stay home and see most of the show at 90%.

For once, I live in the right spot! I am smack dab in the totality line in Columbia, Missouri. If the rumors are true, every hotel room in town is booked for the event and city officials are expecting over 150,000 visitors to descend on our humble town to witness the show. Most schools and businesses will be closed that day as totality hits here at 1:15 PM (or somewhere around that time).

As for the topic at hand, I chose 5,001 - 7,500. I am planning two or three trips this year: (1) solo to Telluride in February, (2) whole family (6 of us) to SLC in March with maybe a few nights at Goldminer's Daughter, and (3) possibly a 3rd trip with the wife in January to a MCP location (Jackson Hole, Taos, or Mammoth). I've already spent $760 on the purchase of MCP passes.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
For once, I live in the right spot! I am smack dab in the totality line in Columbia, Missouri.
Yes, you do, but you should watch the weather forecasts closely. If they are unfavorable you have I-70 within the totality path across the entire state to relocate easily.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Out of curiosity, where will you be going to watch the eclipse?
Where any ski nutcase would prefer: at the top of the tram 10,450 feet at Jackson Hole! Liz and I had both envisioned seeing this eclipse from Rendezvous Peak before we met on the Solar Eclipse Mailing List in 2010.

This was a very time consuming undertaking. We started inquiring at JHMR in Sept. 2014, and Liz and I personally visited the event planning person on our ski trip in January 2015. She said then they would have a plan shortly after the end of that ski season, but in fact it took until late summer 2016. Because of our early inquiries we were allowed to buy 57 tram tickets for $100 each just before public sale on Sept. 15, 2016. 700 tram tickets were sold in total, most of them on that first day. The tram will take people up between 8:00AM and 10:20AM. Totality is from 11:35-11:37AM and the tram will be available for downloading from noon to 4PM.

We also reserved 3 condos in Teton Village for 4 nights for 20-24 people, and another 16 people are staying a few miles down the road at the Aspens. The remaining people already had arrangements to be in Jackson and will meet us to ride the tram up on August 21.

The Bridger gondola and facilities at its upper station 9,100 feet are reserved by the Four Seasons hotel at the JHMR base. JHMR is also selling $50 tickets for the Sweetwater gondola to the facilities at the base of Casper lift at 7,700 feet. These are still available. https://www.jacksonhole.com/x/ECLIPSE-2017.html

If the weather forecast for the Tetons is unfavorable, we will not be using the tram tickets. We'll have to get going by dawn to drive a couple of hours into eastern Idaho or central Wyoming.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I really dont budget for skiing as it has turned into what my/our life/lives revolve around. Its where we get our money, and its where a good chunk of our money goes.

Now, somebody buy me a snowmo :rolleyes:

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Where any ski nutcase would prefer: at the top of the tram 10,450 feet at Jackson Hole! Liz and I had both envisioned seeing this eclipse from Rendezvous Peak before we met on the Solar Eclipse Mailing List in 2010.

This was a very time consuming undertaking. We started inquiring at JHMR in Sept. 2014, and Liz and I personally visited the event planning person on our ski trip in January 2015. She said then they would have a plan shortly after the end of that ski season, but in fact it took until late summer 2016. Because of our early inquiries we were allowed to buy 57 tram tickets for $100 each just before public sale on Sept. 15, 2016. 700 tram tickets were sold in total, most of them on that first day. The tram will take people up between 8:00AM and 10:20AM. Totality is from 11:35-11:37AM and the tram will be available for downloading from noon to 4PM.

We also reserved 3 condos in Teton Village for 4 nights for 20-24 people, and another 16 people are staying a few miles down the road at the Aspens. The remaining people already had arrangements to be in Jackson and will meet us to ride the tram up on August 21.

The Bridger gondola and facilities at its upper station 9,100 feet are reserved by the Four Seasons hotel at the JHMR base. JHMR is also selling $50 tickets for the Sweetwater gondola to the facilities at the base of Casper lift at 7,700 feet. These are still available. https://www.jacksonhole.com/x/ECLIPSE-2017.html

If the weather forecast for the Tetons is unfavorable, we will not be using the tram tickets. We'll have to get going by dawn to drive a couple of hours into eastern Idaho or central Wyoming.
That's an amazing amount of planning Tony. Sounds like it will be awesome!

Sponsor

Staff online