• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poll 2017-18 $kiing Budget

How much will you spend for this coming ski season

• $0-$2,500

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • $2,501-$,5000

Votes: 40 33.6%
  • $5,001-$7,500

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • $7,501-$10,000

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • $10,001-$15,000

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • $15,001 plus

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What is your realistic budget for this coming season. Please take into account passes or gear that you have already purchased that is earmarked for this year, also this could be your "family budget". Please consider travel plans, food, lodging and additional clothing, gear and other stuff... We are not judging nor do we mean to scare anyone and will we tell your significant other.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I put between $2501 and 5000 have about 2500 into 1 planned trip to Kitzbuhel, another 1200 for a trip to Taos. Guess there's no room in that budget for new skis!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I put between $2501 and 5000 have about 2500 into 1 planned trip to Kitzbuhel, another 1200 for a trip to Taos. Guess there's no room in that budget for new skis!
Sounds like you need to go back and amend your original budget.

Shifterkart

Putting on skis
Skier
I selected 10K - 15K for my DW and I.

Each ski weekend cost us approximately $800 between gas, lodging, food/drink, and dog boarding. We already bought season passes for $1200 and are planning a trip to Telluride and maybe one to Utah.

Maybe its time to move closer?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I just guesstimated in the $2,500-$5,000 slot as we don't really have a skiing budget, we just plan trips and ski.

That said I buy my mount snow season pass in the spring for the following season, where I teach is free and I get michael's at half off for him, bromley is free since we work there. If we ever need a daily they are heavily discounted or free. Lodging is cheap in the northeast and my jeep fillups go from once a week to twice a week in winter. I'm a deal hunter and rarely buy something unless with one of my discounts. Meals and ski maintenance are mostly heavily discounted.

Much of my number comes from 2 week long ski trips (banff and tahoe). 1 with the ski club and the other on our own.

This is a great thread as it got me to think about what spend throughout winter. However, we don't do a budget for skiing because we pay our bills, put money in savings and take care of that cats and the rest is gravy aka ski money.

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Almost $8000. $6000 for the lease of the condo, $ 1100 for season pass and I have skis coming but don't know how much they are yet. Pro deal through the local shop. I haven't added in food, gas etc. I have to eat anyways, so that cost would be there no matter. And I don't usually eat out that much at Tremblant as it's too expensive. Gas....company car, my company. They pay!

glencoe

Booting up
Skier
Christmas and/or New Year somewhere in the Alps x 2

End of Jan/Feb in Hokkaido x 2

Eof Feb in the Alps x 1

Misc weekends in Scotland x 1

Yikes - that'll be >$15,000 without any gear refreshes!

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
I paid $700 for a pass and expect to pay about $1000 for a trip over the new year.
On top of that it's gas money and late-season cheap lodging. $300?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This year will be a bit high on travel and low on gear purchases. I start in just a few weeks with my trip to Chile. Fortunately, airfare is essentially free with miles. Then there's the gathering in Utah. Hopefully a trip to Telluride. Maybe a trip to Boise as it's my childhood ski team's 50th anniversary. Since my dad was the head coach for 10 years I'm trying to get him to meet me there so we can ski it together although I'm guessing we'd stay with family and I'd just use miles for the airfare on that one as well.

I'll probably keep gear purchases to a minimum just because the following 4 seasons will be very low count and sporadic ski days due to law school. Might as well save the $ for new gear when I come back.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
It depends, whether I take the winter off to ski or just be a weekend warrior with a couple trips thrown in.(and in the latter case, how much time off I can wrangle)

I have a high budget. But I don't have to use it up.

I may buy gear as I see fit. So that could bump the budget. (so it's really not a "budget" but just plain accounting after the fact)

I don't do this kind of math.
Me neither.

I tend to combine my ski trips with other activities (visiting family, hiking/sightseeing, etc.) So it's a little harder to separate the cost.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Over $1000 for two passes, and then it depends on whether we decide to get a ski lease again or not.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
$2,501-5,000 for me. The Gathering will be the big trip and then a mixture of weekends and day trips here in NE.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
This is the budget buster year for me. I've already blown the equipment budget on prescription goggles and I still need new skis and other stuff. The big ticket item is a birthday trip for the whole family, and I'm trying to organize another western trip as well.

It's best not to add it up.

dm

Sponsor

Staff online