• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2016-17 Northeast Conditions/reports

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am planning to ski Stowe this Saturday. I haven't been there in a long time. Any advice or info I should know?? We will take what we get for conditions.

If anyone else is going there, I would enjoy meeting for a few runs (especially glades). I will be there with my teenage son. We are both experienced skiers. Visiting UVM on Friday, then hitting Stowe on Saturday.

Scott B.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's supposed to chill down a bit (82 here today). Watch the K-town weather report. When the nights freeze, the corn comes in just fine.

No freeze is no good.....

So Rutland weather says it will be 33 and 35 Thursday and Friday nights. Can I assume there are good odds for pretty good spring skiing Friday and Saturday at Killington??

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Today was a beautiful sunny day, soft spring conditions and with amazing company. Passing my level 1 gave me confidence and I felt different skiing today. Today was all about free skiing and fun. I fell in the soft spring bumps and all I did was smile and laugh. We skied almost from first chair till last. We took a beer break and basked in the sun while listening to some great music. We skied blues and blacks on groomers, spring bumps and everything in between. I went down a very bumped up east falls and had a blast. Skylark was also a bumped up blast. Today was one of those great ski days you remember for a long time. Thank you Killington.

Currently staying in Bow, New Hampshire and tomorrow's skiing dilemma is...... Drive the 2hrs 20 minutes each way to wildcat who will be open for a couple weeks OR drive an hour each way to Loon for their closing weekend....... Loons closer but will the conditions be better at 'the cat'

I know first world problems lol

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Had a blast at loon today. Soft snow, some were still groomers and some were spring slush. Long trails of gondola off summit. Beautiful free day of skiing and the après ski at the bar was pretty damn good too. Great fun day and cheers to the young girls we ran into who gave us the vouchers.

James

Out There
Instructor
Getting to the End. Saturday Okemo.

Still great snow to ski. I was told on the lift that the stickiness was from "pine tar, dirt, and grease". Ok! He was from Ohio out East for a week of skiing. So points for that.
Swix used to make a silicone wax for very wet snow. I suppose it was an environmental disaster and not good for bases. Might work for pine tar though.
IMG_2111.JPG

Getting large bare spots. But excellent coverage actually. Rock skis not needed but approach unknown knolls slowly. Half pipe still going strong. I was in a shop where someone came in who rode it all day. "Are they going to cut the pipe tonight??" - Tonight?? When it's 40 degrees so 12 people can ride it? I don't see it but maybe.

IMG_2112.JPG

Warmth and snow with views.
What's not to like?
Well, the pine tar I guess...

IMG_2113.JPG

Very few out today esp after 11. You have to wait for people to come taking a picture.

IMG_2124.JPG

Spring dirt where not skied. Ironically, sometimes that snow is faster. Less pine tar I guess.

IMG_2118.JPG

That grass wasn't there last weekend.

IMG_2116.JPG

Saturday's Spring shoes. I skied with the Ohio guy for a run. Still making six million short turns. Even with the slaloms that's too much. You don't wonder if you're going to bite it at any moment with these telephone poles, but you still wonder if you'll hit a shoal of pine tar and double eject. Pay back for sun and warmth. A good deal! Not many takers.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Getting to the End. Saturday Okemo.

Still great snow to ski. I was told on the lift that the stickiness was from "pine tar, dirt, and grease". Ok! He was from Ohio out East for a week of skiing. So points for that.
Swix used to make a silicone wax for very wet snow. I suppose it was an environmental disaster and not good for bases. Might work for pine tar though.
View attachment 22406
Getting large bare spots. But excellent coverage actually. Rock skis not needed but approach unknown knolls slowly. Half pipe still going strong. I was in a shop where someone came in who rode it all day. "Are they going to cut the pipe tonight??" - Tonight?? When it's 40 degrees so 12 people can ride it? I don't see it but maybe.

View attachment 22407
Warmth and snow with views.
What's not to like?
Well, the pine tar I guess...

View attachment 22408
Very few out today esp after 11. You have to wait for people to come taking a picture.

View attachment 22409
Spring dirt where not skied. Ironically, sometimes that snow is faster. Less pine tar I guess.

View attachment 22411
That grass wasn't there last weekend.

View attachment 22410
Saturday's Spring shoes. I skied with the Ohio guy for a run. Still making six million short turns. Even with the slaloms that's too much. You don't wonder if you're going to bite it at any moment with these telephone poles, but you still wonder if you'll hit a shoal of pine tar and double eject. Pay back for sun and warmth. A good deal! Not many takers.
The grass was it fast grass or sticky grass or the pine tar?:)

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied Stowe on Saturday. Very good coverage on about 50% of Mt Mansfield terrain.Heavy soft snow and lots of big moguls. The skiing was a workout and down low there were lots of sticky spots that would try and face plant you.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
This was Killington Friday.
Pretty awesome 3 day run Friday thru Sunday here at The Beast. Lots of sunshine and corn to play with. Come back soon Surfsnowgirl. Here is my report from Friday.

Guy In Shorts 14April Killington Conditions
Morning sun quickly had the temps headed up as the snow got soft. Cascade was still a tad on the firm side out of the gate with a creamy East Fall being the better choice. Knocked off an Highline on our way over to the Superstar Chair. Main Needles slope is holding up very nicely. Congregated at the Peak Lodge for the 100 day photo as our dear friend joined the club. Headed over for Northstar descent as the natural trails are melting quickly. Steep bumps ruled the afternoon fun with tons soft thick corn to push around.

Spring Corn Grade A

Quote of the Day - A beautiful spring ski day is one of life's many little pleasures.
Highline.JPG
Highline
100 Club.JPG
100 Day Club
Bump bashing.JPG
Bump Bashing

James

Out There
Instructor
So, what's left in the Northeast?
Killington - till the temps kill it.

Stowe - closes next Sun 23rd. Concert by Shady Trees in Mansfield Parking Lot 12-4pm

Jay- going till May?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied Stowe on Saturday. Very good coverage on about 50% of Mt Mansfield terrain.Heavy soft snow and lots of big moguls. The skiing was a workout and down low there were lots of sticky spots that would try and face plant you.

I don't know how to edit my post, but here are some pic's from Stowe on 4-15 (Saturday)

Stowe_4-15-17.jpg
Stowe1_4-15-17.jpg
Stowe2_4-15-17.jpg
Stowe3_4-15-17.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Well I think they groom some trails.

I suspect that's upper Nose Dive at Stowe. Bumps were quite small two weeks ago. That was probably near the last grooming.

Superstar at Killington won't be groomed

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
It was bumped up everywhere at Killington last friday including lower skylark and east falls. Just read this from Killington's afternoon report

"After a series of warm days and nights that kept our snowpack a little sloppy, we'll finally have lows below freezing tonight. That means first chair conditions will be firm, but the sunshine should soften surfaces into lovely spring corn by mid-morning. The cold temps overnight will let the groomers get back to work on some of our steeper terrain too, so look for fresh corduroy on Cascade, Superstar and Lower East Fall"

I've put my good skis away for the season and have my rock skis at the shop right now getting some wax put on so hoping for at least one more weekend at Killington and I'll take it after that one day at a time. I'd like to go at least until May 1st but we'll see how it goes.

Sponsor

Staff online