• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2016-17 Northeast Conditions/reports

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Conditions at Sugarbush were awesome. Skied Kenjas in the morning in some nice powder. I managed a face plant when my skis got caught. I'm sure there was some user error in there somewhere but the snow was rather funky. Mostly ungroomed and uneven. I played around in bumps on the side of a couple of the trails and went down my first northern vermont black, a lovely trail called sleeper. Fall again when I was practicing some angulation and lost my balance but no faceplant this time :). I pushed myself today and it was fun. Skied Kenjas in the am and Stocklis in the afternoon and it was perfect. Tomorrow will be a different story as it's supposed to be over 50 so tomorrow will be a 90Eight day. Sugarbush is a pretty cool place, my first time here..................

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ideal spring day at Stowe. Will try to get one of Kevin.
20170409_112920-01.jpeg

Attachments

• 20170409_101241-01.jpeg
    20170409_101241-01.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 19

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Skied Stowe with @Tony S today. As his picture above shows, it was full-on spring. No clouds, warm, light breeze up top... I was down to a baselayer top after a few runs.

Started on the gondola where the groomers were perfect for laying out GS turns. The crowds started showing up and the gondola was running s-l-o-w. I guess the hamsters are getting tired.

Headed over to the quad. Starr from the top was experienced a little early, but the lower part (below S-53) was skiing nicely. Skied Bypass for the first time in years as the ledges are actually buried. A couple glades, couple bump runs. Quad line disappeared after lunch, along with my legs.

Fun day.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Spring at sugarbush today. Well over 50. Firmish in am so Kenjas were fine. When noon came and it got way slushy the 90Eights came out. I love sugarbush, great, fun mountain. Can't wait to go back.

Next ski day is Killington on good Friday. Hope the rain holds off.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Things softened up after 10 am, depending on which side of Tremblant you were skiing. But really sloppy after 2pm today everywhere. Rather keep both knees, so quit then. Hopefully won't lose too much with heat and rain this week. One last chance Easter weekend.

James

Out There
Instructor
Such a change this weekend.
Saturday am, a fine mist came down essentially turning shells into Krispy Kreme glazed donuts. Snow was firm with some pow and halfway down softer snow.
IMG_2103.JPG

Saturday Morning

IMG_2104.JPG

Afternoon

IMG_2105.JPG

Sunday

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 9 April Killington Conditions
Sun was on duty warming the morning chill out of the air. Summit thermometer was trashed by the ice last Friday but it was nice enough to wear shorts right from the start. Ice that had fallen off the Gondola towers guarded the Cascade headwall entrance protecting the deep powder piled below. Cascade started will a nice firm morning groom. Hiked up to Catwalk for the next run to find some of the best dreamy conditions of the year. Every K1 Gondi lap for the remainder of day started with the Catwalk hike as it was the ROTD. Snow on Pipe Dream was like Creme Brulee with a crust on top of the sweet deep powder. Corn production on Outer Limits kicked into high gear just before 10 as it was 48 degrees in the shade. Hit the Needles area for some of the best spring turns of the year. Bay 1 beer break before noon prepped us for an afternoon of skiing all the Canyon steeps and trees. Tree rain from the snow and ice melt was the only negative. Legs gave out 30 minutes before the lifts finished running on this stellar spring day.

Spring Grade A

Quote of the Day – Turned my farmer groove on to harvest the spring corn on Outer Limits.

Powder Turns.JPG
Powder Turns
Pipe Dream.JPG
Pipe Dream
Tree Rain.JPG
Tree Rain
Springtime on Catwalk.JPG

Springtime on Catwalk

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Stowe with @Tony S today. As his picture above shows, it was full-on spring. No clouds, warm, light breeze up top... I was down to a baselayer top after a few runs.

Yeah. Great day. Great season. Thanks for the guiding and the friendship. Below: Kevin's demonstration of upper/lower body separation.

20170409_141437_071_01-01.jpeg

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Nice shot. What happened to Kevin's color? He's shopping at the Johnny Cash store?

Needs to add a little color to his base layer. Shorts and tie dye was the perfect layer for Sunday.

Too warm for a jacket on Sunday! I had started off in a light blue jacket, but I had to ditch that as it was too easy for Tony to find me. So I went with all black.

On Monday I did add my "ski hard because work sucks" t-shirt to the ensemble, but apparently I still need some help here. @Tricia !

GoatSpring.png

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So do you guys think there will be decent skiing Friday and Saturday at K'ton? I have 2 vouchers to burn and a hall pass. but don't want to waste it if it's going to be crappy conditions.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
It's supposed to chill down a bit (82 here today). Watch the K-town weather report. When the nights freeze, the corn comes in just fine.

No freeze is no good.....

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Killington corn turned perfect Sunday on Outer Limits at 9:46. Has stayed a little too warm over nights since. Cold cycle kicks in Wednesday thru Friday nights leading up to a wetter Saturday. Wife who skied today repots soft snow but not corn. Just a few families and the normal local crew. Over a hundred trails on tap for the morning with most of the mountain being left ungroomed. Getting time off for good behavior and will be out in spring attire for Thursday and Friday. Fully expect some fine spring conditions leading up to the weekend. Best time of the season with no freezing.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Killington corn turned perfect Sunday on Outer Limits at 9:46. Has stayed a little too warm over nights since. Cold cycle kicks in Wednesday thru Friday nights leading up to a wetter Saturday. Wife who skied today repots soft snow but not corn. Just a few families and the normal local crew. Over a hundred trails on tap for the morning with most of the mountain being left ungroomed. Getting time off for good behavior and will be out in spring attire for Thursday and Friday. Fully expect some fine spring conditions leading up to the weekend. Best time of the season with no freezing.
Like you say perfect for shorts.