• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2016-17 Northeast Conditions/reports

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Killington opened for the season yesterday again grabbing the Title of First to Open In The East. Last time we opened on October 25 back in 2002 where the mountain stayed open thru May 26 and received 291" of snow. Looking for a repeat. Here is my Guy in Shorts conditions report from Day 2.

Clouds ruled at the start for the first day of the mountain being open to the general public. Sight of top to bottom snowmaking on Superstar in October took my breath away for a second. With less than half the crowd of yesterday and with little fanfare the gondi started loading a minute early. Summit temperature hung steady at 22 degrees with the cold staying all morning. Jeff Temple was greeting the early arrivals at the bottom of the walkway giving a big thumbs up to the great job his guys have done. Softer firmer surface with loads of man- made powder meaning skiing conditions had improved overnight. Sun poked thru the vapor cover for about an hour mid morning giving us some great light. The Reason Park rope dropped showcasing 8 hits for the air lovers. Hooked up with an old fast buddy then spent a few laps chasing him down Rime. With a dozen laps on the books I popped off the boards joyful that yesterday was not a dream and that winter really is here.

Early Season Grade B+

Quote of the Day – Have to say that I am leaving here today a very satisfied customer.
Cloudy Start.JPG
Cloudy Start
Jeff T gives the thumbs up.JPG
Jeff gives a thumbs up
Carving Snow.JPG
Carving Snow
Reason Park Opens.JPG
Reason Park Opens

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks better than Abay. Nice to see the other coast off to a good start.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Damn that looks GOOD for October!

I'm keeping a close eye on Wildcat....if the weather stays decent and they manage to get open I may go up Sunday. Lots of ifs there!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wildcat posted this pic saying Day 4 of snowmaking.
The East is looking pretty good.
CvyXo_1W8AASC2e.jpg:large

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And Stowe!
Cvu-0MLWAAAkV9x.jpg:large

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Guy In Shorts 28 Oct Killington Conditions-

Foot of fresh powder coated the top of the mountain with snow still flying as the storm was wrapping up. Slight Gondola delay seemed to be expected as no one seemed to mind. Poaching started with the Cascade and Downdraft headwalls and continued everywhere all day. Mountain ambassadors did a great job manning the ropes keeping the casual customers off the endless acres of closed powder but did little to stem the tide of the truly committed. Meanwhile back inside the ropes the slab of thick creamy delicious white chocolate pudding was being sculpted into shape. I joined in the game of helping to form some sweet bump lines. Great Northern opened from the mountain top mid morning deleting the need to walk down the stairs. Upper Ridge run also joined the open trail count. Shout out to the guy who pointed out the excessive snow under my boot toe as I clipped in under the NRT. Played by the rules riding the gondola back down while watching my buddies tear up Cascade underneath regretting my decision. Bank this one away as one of those magical October days we get every now and then at Killington.

Early Season Grade -A

Quote of the Day – Carving moguls out of this powder beats carving a pumpkin any day.
Foot Of Fresh.JPG
Foot of Fresh
Upper Ridge Run.JPG
Upper Ridge Run
Poaching Cascade.JPG
Poaching Cascade

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Trish I'm pretty bad at sacrifice.
Cost me about $1000 per additional ski day in lower salary to live and work near Killington over Southern New England. Seems like a bargain on a powder day. Is it really a sacrifice to chose ski days and vertical skied over money? Ask me on my death bed and think I will tell you that I was very happy with my choice.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cost me about $1000 per additional ski day in lower salary to live and work near Killington over Southern New England. Seems like a bargain on a powder day. Is it really a sacrifice to chose ski days and vertical skied over money? Ask me on my death bed and think I will tell you that I was very happy with my choice.

Money well spent. I'm just doing this for a couple years and going back west to ski lots. In the mean time I'll just sit here and be jealous, get as many days as I can and try to have some fun

Sponsor