• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Let people know where in their area....

I'm near Rochester, NY and our cable switched over to Spectrum with the TWC merger... and I think NBC finally pulled the plug on Universal Sports Network or it's no longer in my listings. Only NBCSNHD and regular NBC. So I not sure where they'll stick the non Olympic WC races but hopefully they'll continue to carry them.

The NBC website/app works like a molasses with a clumsy UI. Painful to use. Are there any better English language options online?

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can you guys use Eurosports app over there? Maybe regionally restricted?

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Yeah the Universal Sports Network is kaput, but in Denver last year all the races were on Universal HD, which isn't a dedicated sports channel. You might check if you get that one. There's a website too but I don't know if you can get access to it if you don't get the channel.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I have Dish tv. Last year, between NBC, NBCSN & UniversalHD I think all the races were covered. I had to purchase a separate movie package for UniversalHD but with a 6 month introductory package it was worth it at $6 a month although, I don't think I ever watched any of the other channels in the package.
I don't know how much longer I can keep Dish as it is getting very expensive & my last renegotiation did not go so well ;( .

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
Universal HD in my area has become the Olympic Network. They are supposed to carry more of the FIS events than Universal HD did. Time will tell.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Hah. Just checked my lineup and noticed Universal HD is gone. Glad to see I have the Olympic Channel! I don't recall missing any races last year between UHD, NBCSN and NBC. Hopefully that keeps up this year.

TS
Frankly

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
The Olympic Network here is all in Spanish at the moment... looks like NBCs leftover programming receptacle.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes The new channel is the Olympic Channel. They have been showing a lot of commercials for the upcoming Feb event. According to some the commercials during the Vuelta, you can go online and sign up for a Gold package and you won't miss a thing.

I'm curious, if your Olympic Channel is current in Spanish what channel has the Vuelta been on?

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you guys use Eurosports app over there? Maybe regionally restricted?

It's geo-restricted. NBC Universal has the sole broadcast rights (over-the-air, cable, satellite, and online) for FIS skiing events in the United States.

You can use the Eurosport Player if you have a VPN to a country where Eurosport is available. The subscription fee still applies for the Player, but it's another way to go.

Frankly, I'm hoping that NBC adds FIS skiing to their NBC Sports Gold app for iOS and Android. I don't have cable or satellite and have zero intention of paying Comcast's extortion pricing here in DC. And the various streaming cable options are too pricey, given I'm already a subscriber to NBC Sports Gold. I'd be willing to pay an add-on price for FIS stuff on Gold (add-ons only cost something like $10-15 per sport).

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Frankly, like you I am an upstate NY resident who went through the TWC to Spectrum merger. A couple of years ago I did shell out the extra $$ to get the package of stations that would contain the NBC station that shows the skiing. When the station went belly up, I downloaded the NBC Sports app and I have used that for the past two seasons. Overall, I have found that it works pretty well and for the most part, I have not had streaming or access problems. I did have to get used to watching on a computer/iPad v. my TV. Every now and then, I have to log back into the app w/my local credentials, but that is about it. My one real complaint is that they do not keep all the races up for the season in the replay section. I also wish they would keep access to the races up all summer as well. I hope it works better for you this year.

TS
Frankly

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I'm seriously thinking about going to rabbit ears and ditching cable but we are under the thumb of an internet monopoly here. They price the packages right at the point where it's easiest to maintain the status quo as my wife insists on a land line for her work (even though I point out that it's still IP dependent).

We just got 100 mbps service finally.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I have satellite and get some 500 channels. Watch about 10 regularly. CRTC has stated that we can go to basic and add the channels you want. Waiting for it to happen with the supplier....Bell Canada.

I can remember if we could get the signal from Rochester and Syracuse it was a clear day!!

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Opera web browser offers free VPN from US to Singapore, Germany, Canada and Netherlands (may have to use private browsing to get to work fully). Is there any channel or channels outside of US I can view some or all of WC events without paywall? Cheers

4ster

Instructor
I have no idea if this is accurate or not but here is an Olympic Sports schedule through the end of 2017. I looks like NBCSN is covering at least some of the WC Alpine skiing beginning on 10-28. I am assuming this will be Solden, it is listed as FIS skiing.

http://www.nbcsports.com/olympic-sports-schedule

Does anyone know if the Olympic channel is an actual TV channel or is it just streaming?
If you have one of many TV providers, streaming is included (DISH looks like the only one not listed :( ). Just sign in with your provider name & password.
I am contacting DISH now!

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone know if the Olympic channel is an actual TV channel or is it just streaming?
If you have one of many TV providers, streaming is included (DISH not looks like the only one not listed :( ). Just sign in with your provider name & password.
I am contacting DISH now!

It is an actual channel, the replacement for Universal HD.

The reason that DISH doesn't offer streaming is that they have their own streaming service, Sling TV. So it's an either/or with them.

4ster

Instructor
It is an actual channel, the replacement for Universal HD.

The reason that DISH doesn't offer streaming is that they have their own streaming service, Sling TV. So it's an either/or with them.

Thanks, that's what I thought (that it is a channel) but no one at Dish seemed to know anything about it. On my NBCSN app. (which includes a link to the Olympic channel) I can sign in with my Dish account but not the Olympic channel. Most other providers are listed but not Dish. I spoke with them again this morning & hopefully they'll look into adding it. I was able to make some program adjustments & lower my bill a little but doesn't help me get ALL the races.

What is Sling TV?

litterbug

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Geez, I thought I'd come here and instantly find a perfect solution! I'm with Comcast (can't receive any satellite here). I watched all the WC races I wanted on UHD, NBC Sports, or the NBC Sports app, but now everything is on Olympic Sports channel, and I can't afford the upgrade. I could try a VPN and BBC or Eurosport, but I'm a weenie and can't get up at 3 am to watch races, and so far the YouTube vids I've found have been taken down.

Does anyone know if Eurosport has replays on demand? English would be nice, but even watching without intelligible commentary would be worth a try.

TS
Frankly

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Yeah listening on mute with a fast forward is really the best way to actually study technique. I enjoy good commentary but most of the time it's inane.

Sponsor

Staff online