• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

litterbug

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I don't have cable (my town has its own fiber optic internet which is awesome, and the only stuff I watch is streaming) but I figured out I could stream FIS events through OlympicChannel.com. They require you to input your cable provider info, which of course I don't have, so I got a YouTubeTV subscription which works as an alternative. The stream is just the raw TV feed, so no commentary, but they stream the whole field of racers. For Levi, however, I could only find the first run of both men and women. Anybody else go this route and find the second runs?
Thanks, Burton, good to know.

litterbug

Skier
Update in case anyone else wants to know:

I'm using a VPN to watch the CBC's live streams, which run start to finish with no commentary, and it's been great for the North American races even tho I have to watch on my iPad. The VPN I'm using is Tunnelbear; it's not up to the standards of real serious privacy and security geeks, but it's cheap and reliable, performance is about the same whether or not I'm on the VPN, and the encryption will be handy when I'm using public wifi. The CBC's stream can be paused but not rewound, and they don't have on demand video, but next week's broadcast schedule shows what looks like rebroadcasts of the European races and I'm crossing my fingers that they'll rebroadcast the live stream instead of some compressed version. I did sign up for Eurosport to see if they have VOD, but I haven't set the app up yet, so who knows. Fortunately I only paid $15 for a year.

I've kept Sling so I can record Olympic Channel coverage for times like today, when I missed several racers because my modem had some kind of tantrum just before the women's downhill started. I have to schedule each individual race because there's no way to tell it to record all new Alpine events and the guide only extends a week into the future, but it lets me fast forward through commercials and I got a new Roku streaming stick for signing up, so I'll keep it for a while, probably through the Olympics.

litterbug

Skier
As it turns out I won't have to screw up my precious sleep schedule at all by watching WC races in the middle of the night even when the CBC doesn't cover them because Eurosport has them on demand. For some reason I can't get their player app on my iPad, only the sports news app, but it's nice to know I'm covered.

I'll still probably record CBC live coverage on the iPad when it's available, because the iPad display is so much better than my computer that it will be worth watching their coverage rather than what seems like better commentators on Eurosport, and upgrading to iOS 11 lets me record streaming video (with audio) on the device using screen capture. All I have to do is wake to start the recordingand then set a timer to wake me up to stop it when the race is over.

What a relief! It took weeks of using what I call my mood light to get my sleep schedule back on track, so I wasn't looking forward to screwing it up all over again again by watching races in the middle of the night. Sure, I stayed up all night tonight getting everything updated and set up, but now I'm home free.

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
the replays off the NBC Sports App or Olympic Channel App stink. Unless I am missing something, I hardly see any for this past weekend -- only the women's SG from Sunday, where they showed Saturday's race since it was canceled on Sunday. I wanted to watch the men's SL, but can't find the replay. Have not even looked up the results yet or gone on the thread here on the topic in hopes I would find it. last year, all the replays were there.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was enjoying NBCSports app on my apple tv, but this past weekend, anything on the Olympic channel was specifically blacked out. :(

James O

Putting on skis
Skier
Geez, I thought I'd come here and instantly find a perfect solution! I'm with Comcast (can't receive any satellite here). I watched all the WC races I wanted on UHD, NBC Sports, or the NBC Sports app, but now everything is on Olympic Sports channel, and I can't afford the upgrade. I could try a VPN and BBC or Eurosport, but I'm a weenie and can't get up at 3 am to watch races, and so far the YouTube vids I've found have been taken down.

Does anyone know if Eurosport has replays on demand? English would be nice, but even watching without intelligible commentary would be worth a try.

This YouTuber has been live streaming FIS events and posting full replays (eurosport w/ UK commentary).
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq-T1PRn7YsOFdHKOeI1XGQ/videos

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was watching on the NBC Sports app but now its strictly on the Olympic Channel and I'm out
Looks like I need to subscribe to something different to get back in the WC watching game.

James O

Putting on skis
Skier
I was watching on the NBC Sports app but now its strictly on the Olympic Channel and I'm out
Looks like I need to subscribe to something different to get back in the WC watching game.

If you have the YouTube app on your device you can watch live on the channel I posted above, albeit with UK commentary (which I personally prefer). Also posts full replays directly competition is finished.

Sponsor

Staff online