• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When do you start your new count?

• Total voters

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
I was going to say when the first lifts start turning but there are many that go for first tracks under their own uphill power. For that reason I think it is at first real snow.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I count the Subject and the question in the poll differently.

I count my ski days from Thanksgiving to Easter. That is because the deal I have with my (non-skiing) wife is I can ski between those two events as often as I like. Even if she doesn't like it, she agrees. She however, owns my a$$ from Easter to Thanksgiving and is the only time you'll hear me say something like "Of course I would like to go shoe shopping. In fact, I was just wondering if you wanted to go. I'll just put all the tools I just took out away and get cleaned up." She of course knows I don't care for shopping period, but appreciated the effort.

I count my ski season differently. I know there are four seasons. I however think of skiing as only having two; Ski Season and Getting Ready for Ski Season. The latter starts the day after my last run and ends as soon I drive to the (or "a') mountain to ski.

My contract might get renegotiated this year. Coaching involves Dryland Training and it starts next week!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The Sept day on St. Mary's is the last day of last season, because that's when the skis are hung up until the lifts turn. Unless of course they don't turn in Oct, but this is the thing that shall not be mentioned.

This is also the one day of the year where Coors can be consumed.

IMG_8083.JPG

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Autumn Equinox designates the start of the new season and the end of the old season. Today at 1pm Pacific Daylight time.

I like the way you think....

The Sept day on St. Mary's is the last day of last season, because that's when the skis are hung up until the lifts turn. Unless of course they don't turn in Oct, but this is the thing that shall not be mentioned.

This is also the one day of the year where Coors can be consumed.

View attachment 30104

:popcorn::crossfingers:

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Until now, I was counting the new season start whenever I was putting at first my skis on a day in autumn (usually anything from end of october to beginning of december)
Nowadays that I ski in summer too, I am not so sure where exactly to draw the line between the old season and the new one .
I can now confidently say...my 2017-2018 season has begun...today, sept 22nd.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Made a mistake, the "today" I was referring to in the above post was Sept 23rd. Saturday.
After a three months interval, might have been shorter but due to the hideously hot summer which has impacted all glaciers on the alps, our best option for august skiing was closed for lack of snow and when I tried go there to ski two weeks ago the glacier was closed due to bad weather and related danger to fall into open crevasses due to low visibility...had to go home "with my tail between my legs"
In compensation, Saturday we were gifted with very nice and crisp wintery snow (crevasses were still viewable, as such it is strictly forbidden to ski outside the marked trails) and with a 1-1.5 inches snowfall during the day...

Sponsor

Staff online