• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When do you start your new count?

• Total voters

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
you consider this desirable? :( :doh: :huh: :nono: :eek:
Never said desirable it is just reality. Crowds never bother me much as they rarely ski my tight edge lines or I go disappear into the trees for awhile. There are many different seasons here at Killington and I try to enjoy the best of each. It was harder to defend myself when skiing Okemo with their wall to wall grooming and lack of decent trees.
1. Walkway Season (Oct-Nov)
2.Top to Bottom Season (Nov-Dec)
3. Real Season (Christmas- St Patty's)
4. Spring Season (Mid Mar-Apr)
5. Silly May Season
6. Hiking Season (until the patches disappear)
7. Off Season (July-Sept)
or
7 Bike Season (May-Oct)

Reactions: BC.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Never said desirable it is just reality. Crowds never bother me much as they rarely ski my tight edge lines or I go disappear into the trees for awhile. There are many different seasons here at Killington and I try to enjoy the best of each. It was harder to defend myself when skiing Okemo with their wall to wall grooming and lack of decent trees.

It is only a weekend reality...

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
When the last lift closes the season ends. When the first lift opens the season begins. Hiking for turns in between the two is pre-season skiing.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
This is the first year I've skied every month, so it's the first time I've had to ask myself the question. I answered "when the first NA resort spins their lift" because typically that is within a day or two of when my resort opens.

My ideal answer would be: when I ski on snow that fell or was made after the summer solstice. So skiing summer snowfields don't count, but if it dumps early Oct and I make a few turns on that new snow it does.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is the first year I've skied every month, so it's the first time I've had to ask myself the question. I answered "when the first NA resort spins their lift" because typically that is within a day or two of when my resort opens.

My ideal answer would be: when I ski on snow that fell or was made after the summer solstice. So skiing summer snowfields don't count, but if it dumps early Oct and I make a few turns on that new snow it does.

A couple years ago we skied St Mary's after the first early snow ... wasn't exactly a "dump" but it was fresh snow, and yes I considered it the first day of the season.

IMG_2475.jpg

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
^^^^agree with this and @jmeb. If it snows on old snow and you ski it, new season (or if it isn't on old snow and you ski it). I did pick "when the lifts start spinning", and then I disagreed with my vote :).

I find myself hoping for a Sept "powder" day so it isn't a Sept dirty runnels day....

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
When all the non glacial snow in your ski region melts, or if you're traveling South, the end of September.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Seeing snow in the forecast that really isn't just summer squall snow....???

image.png

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Pass final balance due emails are arriving...
Screenshot_2016-08-25-13-06-09.png

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
And...the ski magazines start multiplying in the mailbox.
IMG_20160826_194212.jpg