• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When do you start your new count?

• Total voters

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's OK, we don't judge. :D

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Be kind to nurses because they are the ones that keep the doctors from killing you.
I actually have a shirt that says this:
FB_IMG_1472511617027.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So, is the snow falling in the PNW and Montana "fall" 2017-2018 season snow or summer 2016-2017 season snow? It's not fall yet technically right??

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I visited the synthetic snow park at Powder Ridge a couple weeks ago and as much as I want to count this in this season I just can't. My first count begins when I make my first slide at a resort usually on man made snow. This season it will be whenever Killington opens so mid/late October.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
So, is the snow falling in the PNW and Montana "fall" 2017-2018 season snow or summer 2016-2017 season snow? It's not fall yet technically right??

This is not summer squall snow - what's coming onshore out of the Pacific right now are real storm systems.

Doesn't much matter except to the extent it's cold enough at night to consistently make snow, which has been a serious challenge the past couple of years even into late October at 11K feet.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Until now, I was counting the new season start whenever I was putting at first my skis on a day in autumn (usually anything from end of october to beginning of december)
Nowadays that I ski in summer too, I am not so sure where exactly to draw the line between the old season and the new one .

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I guess mine is the only vote for the "Labor Day Ski Sales" but if you ever worked in a shop in the summer and not just October to March You know when the new equipment starts to arrive.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I guess mine is the only vote for the "Labor Day Ski Sales" but if you ever worked in a shop in the summer and not just October to March You know when the new equipment starts to arrive.
I used to see new equipment arriving in the spring of the previous season. Reps would be getting some of next season's offerings in March to play with. I bought my pair of 812s from the ski school director the March before they were available in ski shops the following October. Not sure if that still happens. It wasn't all that common but did happen. That same ski school director also had Salomon boots several months before ski shops had any..

James

Out There
Instructor
Summer is extra season. Summer starts after ABasin closes, Snowbird closes, or Mammoth closes. May is always current season.
If salt is being used on snow outside of Spring racing, it's extra season. Mt Hood summer is always extra. Unless one is full on racing, then it's called early season.

The "new season" starts when you need next years pass or the ticket has the new season dates.

Hiking is extra curricular. In general it follows the same rules till the closings in early summer. At that point they need long hikes to snow patches where they'll smoke doobies to contemplate the incredible mystery of the subject. That just raises more questions so the process is repeated. At some point it becomes glaringly obvious a new season has started. This requires a new exploration session to answer the mystery, "When did that happen?"

BaconMeCrazy

Booting up
Skier
For me, it's when I bring my bikes in for their seasonal overhaul and when the skis out for their first scrape. I voted for the buyers guide because they closely correlate.

epicentre

Putting on skis
Skier
I voted for when the lifts start turning since I'm still a dirty, filthy resort skier.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
Having skied in South America last summer (errr...winter?) I ran into this dilemma when trying to figure out what season to count the days towards.

In between 15-16 and 16-17, but during 2016 Argentina ski season. Ultimately I decided that any ski days that happen prior A-Basin reopening in October belong to the season prior, so my ski season is effectively the same as the governments fiscal year (Oct 1st -Sept 30th)

If we wanted to make things really complicated....if I were to ski in Argentina in October at the very of their season, and ski A-basin a couple days later (or vice versa) how would that count? Food for thought.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
I start counting days in a new season when enough new snow falls AND accumulates to be skied on.
+1 And OK for the new snow to be manmade.
If I really could ski all year in the same hemisphere at least once each month I'd call the equinox the end/beginning.
If you want to draw a line on the calendar, this or maybe October 1 is the right place to do it.
If we wanted to make things really complicated....if I were to ski in Argentina in October at the very of their season, and ski A-basin a couple days later (or vice versa) how would that count? Food for thought.
Yes that's a complication, and probably why I lean toward Oct. 1 vs. the solstice. For us North Americans, I suspect it's very rare to ski in the Southern Hemisphere later than Oct. 1. I was one of those exceptions in 2011, when I skied on the Antarctic cruise Nov. 12-17. Furthermore I had skied Oct. 7 at Mammoth on fresh snow from two days prior to keep a monthly streak alive. So I counted both October and November as part of 2011-12.
I added "When MY resort opens", that should do it.
That seems silly, and a bit self-centered IMHO. MY median first ski day of the season is Dec. 16. But I'm not going to say someone else's October or November days belong in the prior season.

Last edited:

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
Given that I live in PA and we won't see snow or an open mountain anytime soon, I said Buyer's Guide. Let the season of tent sales begin!

Sponsor

Staff online