• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

VW Scandal...It continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The question now, how will that be used? Back to the consumers? To cover employees who lost income from lack of sales and service? Or into the pockets of dealer principles?
I suspect the American way...the ones that need it the most.....the dealer principles :doh:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I finally spent a little time comparing current VW gassers to my 14 Passat. There is nothing even close. I figured they'd be in the high 30's at least. What to do....

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I finally spent a little time comparing current VW gassers to my 14 Passat. There is nothing even close. I figured they'd be in the high 30's at least. What to do....
Yeah, Passat and Sportwagen owners are getting the short end of the stick, we really don't have any viable options out there that do what our cars do? What sedan gives you the space, ride and mileage of the Passat?and there is no wagon that gives the space, manual transmission and mileage of the Sportwagen. At least Golf and Jetta sedan owners have Prius's and Cruze's as options.

Chickenmonkey

David T.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, Passat and Sportwagen owners are getting the short end of the stick, we really don't have any viable options out there that do what our cars do? What sedan gives you the space, ride and mileage of the Passat?and there is no wagon that gives the space, manual transmission and mileage of the Sportwagen. At least Golf and Jetta sedan owners have Prius's and Cruze's as options.

We are looking at the Rav4 Hybrid as a replacement for our JSW. Second in line is the outback.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, why not a CPO "fixed" TDI when they become available?
http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diesel-scandal/carb-begins-testing-fix-diesel-vws

With nothing comparable on the market, a newer, lower mileage version of your current TDI wagon seems like a reasonable option. They should be cheap, too.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diesel-scandal/carb-begins-testing-fix-diesel-vws

With nothing comparable on the market, a newer, lower mileage version of your current TDI wagon seems like a reasonable option. They should be cheap, too.
That is an option. It would be good to know what the time frame for the fix is Ann's what the effects would be. Still lots of speculation but nothing firm. It would be nice to move into an SEL from the SE.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Oh, it is an option and as a matter of fact I have a deposit for a first right of refusal for a 2015 TDI. We should know on Atomic Binding Day (10-18) if there is an acceptable fix for them. Then it is just a matter of agreeing on price and possible reconditioning, tires, brake pads fluids all being changed.

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Having had 2 TDI's a 98 and one of the ill fated 09's, I can say while I loved the 09 for its power and performance, it is not in the same league as the 98 in terms of reliability. In part this is due to the complexity of the system. IMHO the 09's and on are meant for people who drive a minimum of 40k miles per year any less and you get into a word of hurt maintenance wise as the engine does not heat up enough for long enough periods. The '98 was a lot lower at about 20k.

From an ROI stand point that number is likely slightly higher for the 09 for break even cost compared to the gasser 2.5. Again I would
say the the 20k market is about right for 98.

My feeling is the strictness of the emissions standard drove this issue.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, it is an option and as a matter of fact I have a deposit for a first right of refusal for a 2015 TDI. We should know on Atomic Binding Day (10-18) if there is an acceptable fix for them. Then it is just a matter of agreeing on price and possible reconditioning, tires, brake pads fluids all being changed.
Was the one you put a down on in good condition, considering its been sitting on the lot for probably at least a year and a half? It's true that tires that sit wear out from the inside out.​

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey, just got a screaming good offer (offer not yet confirmed) on our TDI Passat. Our local dealer, Lithia of Reno, apparently needs 6 Passats! Oh baby, I'm excited! They are offering "Key for Key" exchange program. No hassles, gimmicks, or pressure! How can I lose? Um, because it's no money out of pocket, not a straight across deal like they make it sound. I think I'll wait for the buyback.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey, just got a screaming good offer (offer not yet confirmed) on our TDI Passat. Our local dealer, Lithia of Reno, apparently needs 6 Passats! Oh baby, I'm excited! They are offering "Key for Key" exchange program. No hassles, gimmicks, or pressure! How can I lose? Um, because it's no money out of pocket, not a straight across deal like they make it sound. I think I'll wait for the buyback.
These programs sell as many cars as balloons do. You would think they would adjust their data base to send a seperate mailer to TDI owners or at least just removed them.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
This is an interesting article on the scandal from the Boston Globe. They really think the scandal is much ado about nothing. Also interesting is the first mention (for me) of the Atlas as a new mid-size coming from VW. I guess I had assumed they'd be sticking with Tiguan as a name.

http://www.boston.com/cars/cars/2016/10/16/vw-owners-mull-diesel-options-fix-or-buyback

Quirk is a big dealership here in Mass, also note he mentions there may be a second buy back for folks who get the fix that don't like it. He's also saying the VW NA has been upfront with dealers about the whole thing which sounds like the opposite of what I've heard.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is an interesting article on the scandal from the Boston Globe. They really think the scandal is much ado about nothing. Also interesting is the first mention (for me) of the Atlas as a new mid-size coming from VW. I guess I had assumed they'd be sticking with Tiguan as a name.

http://www.boston.com/cars/cars/2016/10/16/vw-owners-mull-diesel-options-fix-or-buyback

Quirk is a big dealership here in Mass, also note he mentions there may be a second buy back for folks who get the fix that don't like it. He's also saying the VW NA has been upfront with dealers about the whole thing which sounds like the opposite of what I've heard.
the Atlas will be repacing the Tourag, I think the Tiguan name will be staying.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What I find is interesting is no mention of GM in this whole picture after VW was being served up for six months as to the Chevy cruise Diesel which uses the same Bosch software and has the same issues by their own admission. What fines are they getting?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well we should have what the final conclusion is tomorrow. I doubt there will be any changes to what we know. I will be interested with the cars officially going back will there be any "conquest incentives" offered from other manufacturers.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well we should have what the final conclusion is tomorrow. I doubt there will be any changes to what we know. I will be interested with the cars officially going back will there be any "conquest incentives" offered from other manufacturers.
How sweet would it be to find that we'd get private sale value instead of trade? Afterall, I'd be selling it back, not trading. Not getting to hopeful though.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looks like my dealer is getting proactive:
FullSizeRender 6.jpg

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor