• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

VW Scandal...It continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So today they announced the agreement will cost VW 15 billion dollars. That's 50% more than what I saw the past few months where they were looking more like 10 billion dollars to offer in settlements.
It has been $14.7B for a while. The Judge jsut put his final stamp of approval on it.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, here's what may be a silly question, but if VW can "fix" the newer 2.0 TDI engines with a computer update and they will pass EPA, why wouldn't they continue to sell in the states? Granted, it will still be a small market share but the bottom line is, from what I've read, we bought the diesel and it came with a VW wrapped around it. Looking at the VW posts on FB, some VW sites, and here, people really WANT a diesel. I think most would go for it even if there was a 5-8 mpg drop due to a new program. Oh, they also want leatherette seats with no sunroof, AWD on an SEL level with a manual tranny, and a batch of other things that you can't get together or separately. Ce la vie.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The fix may be problematic. Proposed fixes have not only had reduced fuel economy but reduced performance and longevity as well. I'm not sure CARB will accept any fix for a socal based car. Pessimistically, I am resigned to turning in the car.

We had fun plans for the car as a project. Oh well, the 66 Mustang convertible project will be fun too. Might pollute more....

The VW settlement site has been down for the last few times we checked. It might take the full two years to happen.

Eric

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OK, here's what may be a silly question, but if VW can "fix" the newer 2.0 TDI engines with a computer update and they will pass EPA, why wouldn't they continue to sell in the states? Granted, it will still be a small market share but the bottom line is, from what I've read, we bought the diesel and it came with a VW wrapped around it. Looking at the VW posts on FB, some VW sites, and here, people really WANT a diesel. I think most would go for it even if there was a 5-8 mpg drop due to a new program. Oh, they also want leatherette seats with no sunroof, AWD on an SEL level with a manual tranny, and a batch of other things that you can't get together or separately. Ce la vie.
Don't get me started on the limited way the cars are optioned but with the gas motor getting low 30's for MPG and assumming the hit ont eh TDI's would be 10-15% in MPG and the diesel premium is $3K and add the stigma of #dieselgate on top..it will be tough.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't get me started on the limited way the cars are optioned but with the gas motor getting low 30's for MPG and assumming the hit ont eh TDI's would be 10-15% in MPG and the diesel premium is $3K and add the stigma of #dieselgate on top..it will be tough.
Even assuming a 15% hit we'd still be getting 42 on the highway. Still a win in that category. Someone told me their friend took a diesel in for service and got a gasser equivalent. Hated it. Underpowered.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Let's talk some real numbers here, having owned at diesel gate car and a gasser version of the same car doing the same route daily here are some numbers based on yesterday's gas prices.

Gas car in fuel $4200.00/yr
Diesel car in fuel $2600.00/yr

Difference Diesel $1600.00 savings years.

The diesel was driven more aggressively (as it was fun). Both are based on the same highway/city combination. Mileage is based on 40000km per year. Drive the diesel a little more carefully, and for longer distances (highway) you can greatly increase those differences.

ROI is 2 years on diesel, second 2 years pays for the next cars ROI. Maintenance costs are about the same with the diesel on the higher side of the two.

Resale value after 4 years with that type of mileage is approx 70% for diesel (know because of an insurance claim) for the gasser it is approximately 50% (bought a 4yr old gasser with less mileage, to replace diesel when belt went) before diesel gate.

This is the draw on the diesels and why they have a following.

I will say that issues occure more on lower mileage cars below 60-80k km per year as these newer diesels need to be run, lower is too much stop and go which they don't like. Turbos and exhaust has issues in the lower mileage useage. Carbon build up....not enough steady heat.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Let's talk some real numbers here, having owned at diesel gate car and a gasser version of the same car doing the same route daily here are some numbers based on yesterday's gas prices.

Gas car in fuel $4200.00/yr
Diesel car in fuel $2600.00/yr

Difference Diesel $1600.00 savings years.

The diesel was driven more aggressively (as it was fun). Both are based on the same highway/city combination. Mileage is based on 40000km per year. Drive the diesel a little more carefully, and for longer distances (highway) you can greatly increase those differences.

ROI is 2 years on diesel, second 2 years pays for the next cars ROI. Maintenance costs are about the same with the diesel on the higher side of the two.

Resale value after 4 years with that type of mileage is approx 70% for diesel (know because of an insurance claim) for the gasser it is approximately 50% (bought a 4yr old gasser with less mileage, to replace diesel when belt went) before diesel gate.

This is the draw on the diesels and why they have a following.

I will say that issues occure more on lower mileage cars below 60-80k km per year as these newer diesels need to be run, lower is too much stop and go which they don't like. Turbos and exhaust has issues in the lower mileage useage. Carbon build up....not enough steady heat.
These are all the reasons I got the TDI in the first place. @Andy Mink is getting significanly better mileage than I go on my gen1 JSW, I only got 40 average over it's live, the newer gens with the adBlue got more, even in the bigger Passat. The new TSI has been reported to get mid 30's MPG which is damn good, if the 15' TDI drops 15%, it will bring it w/in range of the gasser. The Alltrack will drop to about 30.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The best I got on my 98 TDI was 60 US mpg, the best on the 09 was 50 US mpg at 100 mph fully loaded driving to Florida on an unspecified route a few years back. This car driven purely highway gentle well into the 60 US mpg range (my friend bought it and drives it this way).

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Still waiting on the 3.0 TDI information. VW posted that the terms of the latest (Nov. 3) meeting were confidential and more should come out in the Nov. 30th meeting. Ugh.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
While I like my VW, I must say VW must learn a little customer management to ensure confidence. They keep this game up, they will lose thier die hard customers.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This could double-dip into even uglier territory.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
At this point, based on recent political shifting, I'd probably hang on to one and see if the regulations banning them are rolled back.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Jed Peters Bummer? Isn't that a good thing? We got our diesel for lots of reasons. Ours doesn't have a fix so we are forced to give it back. That's the bummer.

Isn't VW going to give a settlement payment regardless?

@crgildart While Sarah Palin might change things federally, no way will California roll this back for us. We are hurrying the process before VW goes bankrupt.

Eric

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
@Jed Peters Bummer? Isn't that a good thing? We got our diesel for lots of reasons. Ours doesn't have a fix so we are forced to give it back. That's the bummer.

Isn't VW going to give a settlement payment regardless?

Bummer if you bought an overpriced Q5 tdi with literally every option (dumb) and then you crashed it basically right up to the amount before it was totaled, and then lost the value as a result of the wreck and non-clean carfax report--and you wanted to have it bought back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online