• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

USST Uniforms for 2018 Olympics in PyeongChang

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
So, at the risk of being redundant, I asked a friend who is in this business how this works, just to confirm in my own mind. This guy used to run sportswear for one of the big shoe companies. He's played this game.

The opening and closing uniforms get a lot of visibility. The opening ceremony ones, more so, as the athletes tend to wear those jackets, the whole time they are there. In our case {skiing} if and when they are off the hill. So on TV, you see the Americans, generally the biggest delegation, for more time, then you see all sorts of interviews and photo ops through the games. The viewership for the closing ceremonies is also huge. And IF the big names actually show up, there can be a lot of air time for the USA.

BTW, the exposure and numbers are even bigger, I'm told, in the summer games.

RL/Polo bids on the contract. They pay a "hefty sum" for the deal. They design the uniforms. USOC approves the designs. They manufacture a gazillion of them for the athletes, dignitaries, etc.

Obviously they want logos and as much signage as they can. There are Olympic regulations, etc.

So what does this cost? RL probably pays about what a good time slotted 30 second ad costs in the Super Bowl. Maybe a touch more. And how much value might it deliver to RL/Polo? Depends. My friend says that it might work out to be 3 times what a Super Bowl ad delivers.

I guess the costs and money has been pretty strong. Then of course each sport, and in the case of skiing, each discipline, has their own uniform deals. LL Bean is big with USA Nordic, Spyder for Alpine, NorthFace for freestyle, etc.

Main point is that the USOC is not buying uniforms. They are selling ad space. And they want nice product to be delivered.

Last edited:

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
So by rights the athlete and their support organizations should be aggressively negotiating a bigger cut from the Olympic fatcats. Take away downhill skiing and/or figure skating and ratings get cut in half.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, here are the closing ceremony uniforms. The models look a bit chunky, don't you think?
closing-ceremony-uniform.jpg

I guess she did eat a sammich.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, here are the closing ceremony uniforms. The models look a bit chunky, don't you think?
closing-ceremony-uniform.jpg

I guess they spent all their creative time on the snowboard threads. I confess I was hoping for something equally bizarre.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I guess they spent all their creative time on the snowboard threads. I confess I was hoping for something equally bizarre.
Well, they never 100% left but only saw a few new styles and the usual beginners with older versions still out there from decades gone by.. Like the Onesie, they haven't been mainstream for awhile, just a few niche sources. -
"Dyneema Onesie, Puffy!
Maybe the most exciting product, Burton built a “spacesuit-inspired” down one-piece from tougher-than-steel, bright-white Dyneema fabric. The brand will also make a puffy down jacket from the wonder fiber."
USA_UNISEX_ONE_PIECE_3_1558x2100_300_RGB-223x300.jpg
burton-olympic-uniforms-nasa-2018-700x451.jpg

"Inspired by the American space program, Snowboard juggernaut Burton today unveiled its 2018 Olympic uniforms. They are made for the U.S."

"The Burton competition jackets and pants, for example, are noted to have a “liquid metal” look."

"infuses a lightweight, aluminum-coated fabric typically used for audio equipment with technical properties made for snowboarding in any weather condition"

https://gearjunkie.com/burton-olymp...mail&utm_term=0_4761d8db2c-61c687ef96-4868725

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ Not half bad and I much prefer the arachnid (the late ski racer Spider Sabich comes to mind), to a little man wielding a malott on a horse (Ralph Lifshitz from the Bronx is not exactly a name I associate with skiing).

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
I'm a traditionalist so I like red, white, and blue.

Ironically, with the "One Team" rebranding of the US Ski Team with US Snowboarding to be "uniform" (pun intended), each group has its own sponsors.

US Ski Team: Spyder
US Freeskiing: North Face
US Freestyle Ski Team: Columbia

They are all going to look very different--as I believe they should.

Unfortunately, the branding guidelines during the Olympics are very restrictive so you won't be seeing large patches for non-Olympic sponsors.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
The alpine uniforms did not look red, white, and blue in the Ski Racing story... more like magenta, white, and teal.

90s reference?

Large expanses of white kind of suck for photography and video. You know, snow is white but they don’t teach that at FIT or Pratt....

Sponsor

Staff online