• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Warp Daddy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yep, Tricia. We still ski our age in days so the goal this year is 74 and at least 1,500,000 vertical feet with an average of 17 0r 18 runs a day. Besides, after 70 ,many hills give terrific discounts. As an example, a season pass to Smuggler Notch is $20!

Yep i have one from a local speed bump for FREE and ano

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
My RLM season pass gets me four free days at Whitefish and, IIRC, half price at Alta, plus free skiing at Homewood.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
As someone still in his early forties im reading through this thread and gotta say its encouraging. I really hope my fire is burning hot still as the years go on.

Growing up as a kid my dad would have me follow the geezers at cannon mt. Were talking 70-90 crew but their form was top notch.
Not the fastest on the hill but technically amongst the very best. Theyre all gone now but if i could turn that good at any point id be content.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 62 and feel that I ski better, and on more difficult terrain, now than I did 10 years ago (thank you ESA!). Even though I am a founding member of the Alta Kackers, I don't feel like I am a senior when I ski. The rest of the time, I think of the physical ailments that I have, and watch my peers do less and less physical activity, and I fear that my days of sucking at this level of skiing will have an expiration date.

Lil Georg

Booting up
Skier
Just to spread the good news....Sugarbush midweek pass $99, Blue Mt in Pa free, Seven Springs in Pa free, Bolton Valley $46 midweek pass, Middlebury ski bowl $10, Mad River Glen 5 times for free. Now when I am 80....free skiing almost everywhere!

The 70+ ski club is a wonderful resource and a terrific place to meet older skiers who don't talk about aches and pains and who can out ski many much younger folks.For more info contact Richard at [email protected]

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm 62 and feel that I ski better, and on more difficult terrain, now than I did 10 years ago (thank you ESA!). Even though I am a founding member of the Alta Kackers, I don't feel like I am a senior when I ski. The rest of the time, I think of the physical ailments that I have, and watch my peers do less and less physical activity, and I fear that my days of sucking at this level of skiing will have an expiration date.

Remember what Stu said at Stowe: You can ski late into your years if you ski efficiently.

Lil Georg

Booting up
Skier
Stu has to be right! As my technique gets better my fatigue is far less. You would be surprised to see how many 90 year olds are skiing now and that is most likely what keeps them living independently!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Stu has to be right! As my technique gets better my fatigue is far less. You would be surprised to see how many 90 year olds are skiing now and that is most likely what keeps them living independently!
Its inspiring!

I plan on being out there skiing 100 days when I'm 100 :D

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ski efficiently, eh. I hope that doesn't mean tricks really are for kids.
I'd interpretation him to mean - do what you do, but do it more efficiently :daffy:

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skiing more efficiently was one of the motivations to start taking lessons with the Epic Ski Academy -- I feel that I largely achieved that goal. Unfortunately, on of the side effects of understanding skiing better is finding out how much I really do not know...

Lil Georg

Booting up
Skier
I find that that the better my form, the less work it takes. That is what " efficiently" means to me.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I don't feel like I am a senior when I ski. The rest of the time, I think of the physical ailments that I have....
You have struck gold with that one!
Driving home from the gym tonight, I was (and still am) painfully aware (pun intended) of the aching in my knee(s), as well as the pain in a couple of vertebrae, blah, blah, blah.
The thought of missing days on snow this season, or worse yet, envisioning a life without skiing, really started to bum me out.
But you are right, nothing makes one feel young again like skiing.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I also hope to join the ranks of skiing seniors. I have yet to take a senior discount and refuse to acknowledge that some are available now. For skiing? Heck yes! Retirement is close for me - somewhere between 2 and 5 years depending on when I can drag myself away. I do love my profession. DH is already retired so the pressure is on!. That said, the older I get, the more I appreciate those years of lesson my parents made me take. Technique is keeping me out there without fatigue even at the beginning of a season. I may have discovered the cause of my recent ankle flexion issues ... now, if only, I could lose that darn neuroma!

Sponsor

Staff online