• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Noticed this is a resurrected 2015 thread.

This will be my first year skiing in retirement after 4 decades working in Silicon Valley hi tech, commuting to Tahoe skiing mostly on winter weekends. My hair is now about a third gray and some finger knuckles show arthritis bumps, but... Has been very scary the last decade plus looking at how other younger middle aged have aged, getting all grey haired, wrinkly skinned, ungraceful, slowed, often bulging in the middle, as am afraid aging may suddenly speed up in my body too. Although I might be in the 1% of those aging slowest at the moment, sooner or later growing old and our mortality gets us all.

Have been rec skiing at an advanced level for decades and also as a landscape photography enthusiast, hiker, and backpacker have been very active year round all my adult life outside the m-f 8-5 slog. Thus the best advice I can give while noting genetics probably has a lot to due with each of us, is to keep nicely active all your adult life. Use it or lose it. This winter if it ever snows haha so I can get good number of days in in order to get into mid season animal reaction form, I expect to do some of my best mogul skiing ever. During 2017 besides lots of day hiking, I also went on 5 backpacking trips lugging mid 60 carrying weight for this little 137# old guy with a 22 BMI. Dave's mogul form last January bounced on S3's in 4 fresh tracks:

DodgeR-au_ch1a.jpg

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
turned 68 this November and hope to keep on going till something gives out. like the discounts and use all I can. good winter all!!

Best avoid Mt. Rose, CA, fi looking for a senior discount - no such thing, at all :nono:
Too bad. cuz it's a good mountain otherwise.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Best avoid Mt. Rose, CA, fi looking for a senior discount - no such thing, at all :nono:

I agree it's a good mountain. The regular season passes are very inexpensive, especially when you buy them in Spring, for the following season. BTW, Mt Rose is actually in NV, But very close to the CA border.

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
So many people kept telling me when I was 40 i better go get my level 3 cause I was going to get too old. I think a lot of people were shocked when I went and got it at 50. There is people who think I can still go get my level 4. Maybe if i was interested. But I know a lot of women are looking forward to skiing with me this year as they now are saying wow, you can get it at our age and female. I have taught people to ski at 50 (when I was a youngin of 30 or so) who then went crazy loving it and became instructors. To think one can't get better through working on technique and conditioning seems crazy to me, but I do believe natural ability certainly helps you reach the highest level of instruction as it helps any athlete, but I think anyone, any age can certainly reach a level 2 certification through effort and fitness level. I also think a level 2 instructor can ski anywhere in the world and an slope... though they may want to do it with caution and not always look as stylish as a level 3 or 4 (in Canada)
Oh hope for me yet to learn!

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
While recently looked at the net for the Powder Triangle I learned I am free lift tickets at Whitefish Mt., Whitewater BC and Red Mt. BC. Usually do this trip and probably will this year maybe more than once. Whitefish is 70 plus and Red and Whitewater are 75 plus.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
While recently looked at the net for the Powder Triangle I learned I am free lift tickets at Whitefish Mt., Whitewater BC and Red Mt. BC. Usually do this trip and probably will this year maybe more than once. Whitefish is 70 plus and Red and Whitewater are 75 plus.

@Pete in Idaho, you and I have talked about meeting up at Red or Whitewater in the past so maybe this is the year.

I will be eligible for free skiing at Whitefish for the 2018-19 season and I expect to spend a good amount of time there, staying in my truck camper.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I was waiting for my son at Copper Mountain the other day and I saw a sign for something called the Over the Hill Gang, which is a guided skiing program for senior skiers. As I read about the details, I thought wow it's nice they have that for those old folks. Then I got to the bottom of the sign: ages 50 and up. Oh. I'll be eligible next season! It's nice they have that for us old folks.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I stopped at the McDonalds in Steamboat a couple of years ago and for the first time ever the kid behind the counter asked and then gave me a senior discount without any response from me.

Me, a Senior? No way! grumble grumble...

Wait, how much was that? A Dollar? And free refills?

I'm Lovin it...

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
I was waiting for my son at Copper Mountain the other day and I saw a sign for something called the Over the Hill Gang, which is a guided skiing program for senior skiers. As I read about the details, I thought wow it's nice they have that for those old folks. Then I got to the bottom of the sign: ages 50 and up. Oh. I'll be eligible next season! It's nice they have that for us old folks.

I was just looking at that yesterday. I'll hit that milestone in January so I figure I may just have to join them for a day to check it out!

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

True dat but Rose does have a good price to begin with ($125), plus two-fer Tuesdays and $49 for ladies on Thurs. That and free "Silver Skier" clinics Mon and Fri mornings for 50-YO and older passholders.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, I wouldn't exactly say $125 is a "good" price to begin with ...... I mean Squalpine is $129. But yeah, I agree the various promo deals go a long way towards lessening the impact ..... if you are at least a semi-local. I hit Rose maybe once every 2-3 years, when conditions are just right - it's the longest drive for me and needs to be the best, if not the only option, and it usually is a last second decision, so the promos aren't really an option.

On the other hand, I must confess, it's not so much the money (assuming there Senior Discount would have dropped it to around $100), it's just that I somehow feel dis-respected ..... so get off my lawn!!

Last edited:

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
I was going to add something to this thread, but I forgot what.

Just heard today that my favorite skiing great-grandmother (not my great-grandmother; someone else's), after falling on her boat this summer and breaking a rib and a kneecap fell again while working out and broke another rib and injured her artificial hip. She can't ski this early season and may not ski at all this year. Time marches on, and we ain't stopping it. She'll be back next winter if there's any way. She's determined, and she loves this sport. I think she's 78 or 79.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
$125 a good price? My early purchase senior season pass at 49* North was $149. Think you had to be 62 to qualify. I am not trading.

Sponsor