• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I think today's equipment plays a big part in the ability to ski efficiently. You never used to see someone my age (75) skiing multiple hours a day and significant numbers of days a season like you do now.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I think today's equipment plays a big part in the ability to ski efficiently. You never used to see someone my age (75) skiing multiple hours a day and significant numbers of days a season like you do now.
Maybe it's the seniors' equipment, not the ski equipment, that has improved. ;)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think you're right about the ski equipment being better for longevity in skiing, but I think its imperative that the skier needs to learn to ski the modern equipment the way its intended to be skied or he/she will struggle and lose the potential efficiency.

I think I posted this earlier but if not, it needs to be said -
When I worked with a senior ski group on checking for gear issues, I changed ski pole length for one in particular skier but got the rest of the group thinking about their pole length.
When most of these skiers started skiing they were on straight skis, and skied much differently. When going to shaped skis we should all consider dropping our pole length to help us move forward into the turn. Couple that change in gear and add the potential for osteoporosis .......someone who was skiing with a 52" pole should be using a 48 or 50" pole to avoid being in the back seat.
Simple but often overlooked.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
I think it is also that people, especially the baby boomers, are keeping themselves in better condition than our parents did. When I was a kid our family vacations consisted mostly of driving by stuff. My wife and I tend to do a lot of hiking on vacation.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I think it is also that people, especially the baby boomers, are keeping themselves in better condition than our parents did. When I was a kid our family vacations consisted mostly of driving by stuff. My wife and I tend to do a lot of hiking on vacation.

This is very true. In my dad's generation, there were only a couple of father's who were in anywhere near as good shape as most of their kids (who still ski) are at the same age. I had a neighbor who taught me how to road bike/race when I was young. He was 46 at the time. Amazing specimen, and planted the seed of what's possible later in lie if I just kept at it. His nephew (mid-late 50's ) podiumed at the world XC ski masters championships recently.

Last edited:

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Definitely!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I haven't seen him in a couple of years, but there was a guy in his 80s skiing Breck for a few several-week vacations every winter. He was a pecan farmer and would bring pecans to share with the table at lunch. He had a lovely, smooth way of skiing so that he was still skiing double black bumps. That is my inspiration. I know I'm not there yet in terms of technique, but I want to get that smoothness down so that I can ski as many years as possible. Every time someone older tells me they can't ski bumps anymore because it's too hard on their body - it renews my desire to get better. Not that there can't be plenty of reasons for your body to wear out over time, but I want to tear down as many barriers as I can. And I look forward to eventually joining the Over The Hill Gang at Copper ... oh, hey, that's not as far away as it used to be!

As it is, I hear a lot of women older than me talking about how they've gotten colder over the years, and I half think that's already started for me. I feel like I need more layers these days than I did just 2-3 years ago ... and I haven't even hit menopause =/

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier

Approx. 16yrs ago I took a ski clinic from NASTC in Tahoe and Chris Fellows stressed skiing efficiently and this along with the advent of shaped skis enabled me to ski longer in years. At 73 I still ski 60-80 days a year, yes I usually quit for a beer about 3pm but do so with a smile. Shaped skis make it so much easier to ski well and the new powder boards make powder a lot of fun. Also, skiing gives me the incentive to keep in shape - almost always - I get way more active starting in Sept. heck just 90 days till theres snow.

Prickly Jones

Jetsetting Curmudgeon
Skier
Ah, guess I misread the thread title here, thought it said Señor Skiing, and as such I figured it must be about Bob Peters, though looks like he's not a member here yet.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Will turn 71 next month and looking forward to a good season this year. One of the guys I ski with just retired this September so looking to get more days out mid-week.